How to LOSE muscle?

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to slim down.

A little background. I was a competitive gymnast for ten years, from age 7 - 17. I quit 2 1/2 years ago. I was pretty bulked up not to mention chubby at 143 lbs and 5'3. I was in shape though. Now I am hovering at around 116 (still 5'3). Since then the only exercise that I have done (a few times per week) is cardio. Usually the elliptical. Yet I haven't lost that "muscular" look, even when I was at my lowest weight of around 110.

I am incredibly insecure about how I look. It is very common for people to come up to me and say "Wow! You are so muscular! Are you a gymnast?" I don't want people making jokes about how I could beat up my guy friends. It is extremely embarrassing and people have always joked about how I have a man body.

Hearing people describe me as "musuclar" and "bulky" makes me cringe. I don't want to be seen that way. I want to stay toned while at the same time achieving a more lean body rather than looking manly and bulked up. I would rather be seen as just skinny or thin or normal. My legs have slimmed down and my 6 pack has faded, but I still have extremely muscular legs and arms. I still have that "gymnast" body. And I don't do any weight lifting whatsoever.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, looking at your profile picture, I cannot see for the life of me what the issue is.
    If you think you look remotely bulky or manly, maybe you need to see someone about that, as that is not what I see.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Where are all these muscles and bulk? Women don't bulk up like men. You look skinny to me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you look great to me, and I if you don't want to look "muscular" I'd consider putting on some fat as opposed to losing muscle, as the first will make you look natural, while the second will make you look malnourished, but if you're dead set on losing muscle, don't eat very much protein
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, looking at your profile picture, I cannot see for the life of me what the issue is.
    If you think you look remotely bulky or manly, maybe you need to see someone about that, as that is not what I see.

This
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you, but to be honest, you look fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing, except your friends maybe, if they're joking about how you look?? I kid of course, but seriously, you look great!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Your body is awesome!!! Wanna trade??? Lol but seriously screw whoever says stuff like that to you. Odds are they're just jealous.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you look great to me, and I if you don't want to look "muscular" I'd consider putting on some fat as opposed to losing muscle...

This. You look fan-freakin-tastic. A slightly higher body fat percentage would make you look less defined, but be aware that you have a body a lot of women would cut off their pinkies for.

If the people who are saying you look muscular are you friends, explain to them that it's something you're self-conscious about, and could they please knock off the jokes. If they're NOT friends... then who cares what they think? Ignore them.
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you don't like your body for you thats one thing and probably not eating as much protein is the way to do it. But it seems like your critics got in your head, because you look quite slim and toned vs. muscular/bulky or masculine. I have a feeling that the people who said those things to you have their own (not so friendly) motives, because from what I see in your pics they are crazy. I agree with the other commenters that perhaps talking to someone about how you feel about your body might help the most.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP, I think you really need to seek some counseling based off of what you have said. I think that right now, getting help is going to help you more than anything else at this point.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful. Really. See someone for your insecurity.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you look great to me, and I if you don't want to look "muscular" I'd consider putting on some fat as opposed to losing muscle...

This. You look fan-freakin-tastic. A slightly higher body fat percentage would make you look less defined, but be aware that you have a body a lot of women would cut off their pinkies for.

If the people who are saying you look muscular are you friends, explain to them that it's something you're self-conscious about, and could they please knock off the jokes. If they're NOT friends... then who cares what they think? Ignore them.

^This.

If you're not happy with the definition, gain some body fat.

But you look great and you should be proud of your body. If your friends are making you feel bad about how you look, you need new friends. And if it's strangers....tell them to mind their own business.
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options

I 100% agree. However, in 10 years you're going to want the body you have now. Take care of it (not implying that you don't, I'm just saying is all).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You look great, I personally wouldn't change a thing! You don't look manly at all. Whoever told you that is delusional. :noway:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to slim down.

A little background. I was a competitive gymnast for ten years, from age 7 - 17. I quit 2 1/2 years ago. I was pretty bulked up not to mention chubby at 143 lbs and 5'3. I was in shape though. Now I am hovering at around 116 (still 5'3). Since then the only exercise that I have done (a few times per week) is cardio. Usually the elliptical. Yet I haven't lost that "muscular" look, even when I was at my lowest weight of around 110.

I am incredibly insecure about how I look. It is very common for people to come up to me and say "Wow! You are so muscular! Are you a gymnast?" I don't want people making jokes about how I could beat up my guy friends. It is extremely embarrassing and people have always joked about how I have a man body.

Hearing people describe me as "musuclar" and "bulky" makes me cringe. I don't want to be seen that way. I want to stay toned while at the same time achieving a more lean body rather than looking manly and bulked up. I would rather be seen as just skinny or thin or normal. My legs have slimmed down and my 6 pack has faded, but I still have extremely muscular legs and arms. I still have that "gymnast" body. And I don't do any weight lifting whatsoever.

Any help would be appreciated :)

I looked at your pictures and you did not look "bulky" at all. As a runner I think both your body and your BMI (20.5 at 143 lbs and 5'3.) are perfect!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me that your "friends" are a bit jealous. I hear it all the time from people that are bigger (or bigger then a person they are talking about) that "skinny is gross" "she needs a hamburger" "men don't like bones" ect ect ect.

You look wonderful. Don't change your body because someone else doesn't like it, only do it if YOU want to. :flowerforyou:
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This is what you would call a "First world" problem if the world were a big diet program.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

^This.

If you're not happy with the definition, gain some body fat.

But you look great and you should be proud of your body. If your friends are making you feel bad about how you look, you need new friends. And if it's strangers....tell them to mind their own business.

Both of these.

I'm first in line with a pinky to offer. You look amazing.

I have a friend like you. She too was a gymnast, then cheerleader, and has the type of body you describe. She has an amazing body. Muscular does not equal manly.
    I can understand where you are coming from but I do think your perception is a little skewed. Embrace it.

I sometimes want to ask people if they are/were gymnasts or weight train, but I don't because people take it in a negative way. I don't mean it that way at all. I admire that body type (among others). It would be a compliment from me.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Sounds like friends are jealous.

Honestly, you look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    embrace how your body looks, seriously some people would kill to look like you
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Get fatter.