How to LOSE muscle?

Options

Replies

• erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Stop listening to stupid people. You look great and are NOT that big.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I think you need different friends, not a different body.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    116...getting called bulky? What? I don't believe you. Troll thread.

On the small chance this is true:

Either your friends are idiots or you are are taking offense to comments that are not meant to be judgmental or negative or to be taken seriously at all.

The appropriate response is to tell them to shut up and ignore them. If you can't do that you might need to get some form of counseling. Being that deeply uncomfortable with a body type a lot of people would kill for does not seem well adjusted to me.

Judging from your pics you don't look all that muscular, even for a woman. Further evidence of screwed perception.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think anyone calling you bulky or manly has a very skewed perception. You look fabulous - nothing manly or bulky about you in any of your photos!

I think sometimes people say lame stuff out of jealousy or whatever - I'm a 45 year old 5'8" woman weighing 135-140lbs and had a friend tell me I'm going to "blow away". :huh: Seriously. This after we had dinner together and I put down two servings of chili verde tacos, then a little extra meat & avocado, topped off with dessert. Blow away? Hardly. I think she just doesn't get why I lose while eating well and she struggles while eating steamed chicken breast and dry salad, and skipping desserts.

Either way - like others have said, tell your friends it bugs ya, and if they don't stop, get new friends!
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As a former gymnast myself, I can totally see where you're coming from. I still have pretty big shoulders and legs and all that, but I have managed to lose a bunch of my muscle. Let me say first, that I don't recommend trying to lose your fabulous arms and legs. I lost some of my muscle by eating fairly low protein (like 25% of my daily calorie intake), doing a bunch of cardio (commuting 45 min per day by bicycle and running 4-6 miles maybe 5 days per week), and netting 1200 cals/day. That said... Over the past couple years I have backtracked to my pre-MFP weight, and am struggling even more to get back down this second time around. I noticed at my thinnest that I was not as strong as I used to be (which is a huge blow when you have been so strong for so long), I actually missed my muscular arms a lot (when you grow up with muscles it's hard to imagine what it's like without them... like losing a body part... sorta), and I'm sure my metabolism is not as fast as it used to be.

So yes, people will joke that you can beat them up. Heck, you probably can. But I think most people comment because they really wish they had rockin' arms like yours. If you really want to give them up, you can. But that comes with a price (lower metabolism, smaller muscles than you've had your entire life, etc.).
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    People must be saying this out of pure jealousy because you look FANTASTIC. I would kill for that body lady!!! I'm going to have to murder myself in the gym to get that :wink:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You are itty bitty and beautiful. Yes, your muscle is visible, but you don't look bulky or big. You look like a woman who is in incredible health. Embrace that, own that, and show off when someone teases you.

PS: If my body looked like your's, I'd be begging for tips on how to keep it the way it is. :flowerforyou:
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Your friends must either be joking or crazy. You look great
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    lol wut
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    You look too skinny to me ......so not sure if serious.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    who's the wimp in your profile pic?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I have a strong feeling in a few years time you will regret it if you lose muscle mass now. Why lose something that serves you well and will help you maintain a strong and healthy body in the years to come?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I think you look great, messaging pics to you now. :)
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    this post enrages me
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Cool troll thread from someone who looks like a twig.

Try a wheelchair for a couple months, that should get you to your desired goal.

Edit: make sure it's motorized so you don't "bulk up" your arms in the process.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Your friends are stupid./thread.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Yeah but she got lots of validation that she looks great. What more could you ask for?

She's also been losing for a while and keeps lowering and lowering her goal weight while complaining of her body shape. I suggest we stop feeding someone who obviously has some issues with body image and food.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Yeah but she got lots of validation that she looks great. What more could you ask for?

I suspect OP will consider this thread "mission accomplished".

Oh, and OP: it will serve you well if you can learn not to worry about what other people think/say (or what you *think* they are thinking/saying).
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    2451621_3691.jpg
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to slim down.

A little background. I was a competitive gymnast for ten years, from age 7 - 17. I quit 2 1/2 years ago. I was pretty bulked up not to mention chubby at 143 lbs and 5'3. I was in shape though. Now I am hovering at around 116 (still 5'3). Since then the only exercise that I have done (a few times per week) is cardio. Usually the elliptical. Yet I haven't lost that "muscular" look, even when I was at my lowest weight of around 110.

I am incredibly insecure about how I look. It is very common for people to come up to me and say "Wow! You are so muscular! Are you a gymnast?" I don't want people making jokes about how I could beat up my guy friends. It is extremely embarrassing and people have always joked about how I have a man body.

Hearing people describe me as "musuclar" and "bulky" makes me cringe. I don't want to be seen that way. I want to stay toned while at the same time achieving a more lean body rather than looking manly and bulked up. I would rather be seen as just skinny or thin or normal. My legs have slimmed down and my 6 pack has faded, but I still have extremely muscular legs and arms. I still have that "gymnast" body. And I don't do any weight lifting whatsoever.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Please get some help with your body dysmorphic disorder. You are wasting your youth being miserable and negatively self centered.