Rather specific question regarding calories.

Options
Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question regarding required calories for today. I'm an 18 year old 5'4" female (119 lbs), and I have my activity level set at Active, due to doing martial arts, swimming and a lot of walking at uni. This gives me 1590 calories a day. Today was a strange day however, and I'm confused about how my calories should be adjusted for it: I went to work, which involved 7 hours of standing (not really walking, pretty stationary). There was also some lifting of 16kg boxes, about one every 5 minutes.
Should I keep to 1590 today? Or decrease it? My 1590 is for losing 1lb a week, BTW.

Thanks in advance, hope this isn't a silly question.

Replies

• flower8330
    flower8330 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can go into the mfp settings and change your activity level or goal and it will show you the different calorie goals. This helped me when I went over by a few calories to understand how much "cushion" there really was
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you are already at a healthy weight,why do you want to lose weight?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would just keep it at 1590 if it is one day.
    At your height and weight losing .5lb a week would be a more appropriate goal.
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your quick replies!
    CharlieBeansmomTracey: I'm losing because despite being a healthy weight, I store a lot of fat on my hips, thighs and stomach, which I really want to be rid of.

Thanks Lounmoun, that makes sense. Didn't realise it should be .5; now I'm not so unhappy about not losing anything last week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Get some help. You don't need to lose any weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jmidd97 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question regarding required calories for today. I'm an 18 year old 5'4" female (119 lbs), and I have my activity level set at Active, due to doing martial arts, swimming and a lot of walking at uni. This gives me 1590 calories a day. Today was a strange day however, and I'm confused about how my calories should be adjusted for it: I went to work, which involved 7 hours of standing (not really walking, pretty stationary). There was also some lifting of 16kg boxes, about one every 5 minutes.
    Should I keep to 1590 today? Or decrease it? My 1590 is for losing 1lb a week, BTW.

So if you're set to active on MFP that's supposed to exclude purposeful exercise

Are you active (hitting 7500 steps or more) just from walking at uni? and then your basic calories are 1590 and then you add the calories from martial arts and swimming (recommend half the MFP database allowance) and eat those too

But as a one off on this day no - eat to your 1590 .. you'll be fine
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Xxlune wrote: »
    What is up with people suggesting someone needs help when you're at a healthy weight and want to lose weight?

A healthy weight range can be up to 10kg or bigger.. If this person wants to lose weight and isn't underweight, they can.

I could probably drop below my healthy range based on BMI, because I don't have much muscle mass at all, which would make me heavier.

Don't judge someone who is at a healthy weight. They might need to lose weight more than someone who is over.

muscle mass if you have enough of it will make you heavier but you will be healthier and stronger. you dont want to lose lean muscle,that can cause health problems itself and once you lose it its almost impossible to get it back.how do you know how much muscle mass you have and why would you not want to have decent muscle mass? its what helps us move easily,without decent muscle you will have a hard time to get around.muscle loss/wasting is nothing to sneeze at.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It's okay to want to be in a lower part of the healthy BMI range. I myself kept losing weight after I hit "healthy," just because I thought I could look better. It's okay for someone who doesn't *need* to lose weight to want to be lighter. People can have appearance goals as well as health goals.
  • scarletbegonias1214
    Options
    Yes it's a strange world for a young woman. Thin bodies are glorified but if you aspire to one then you "need help". I am also a healthy weight. I have never been overweight or underweight. However it makes a huge difference in the way you feel about yourself to be at the heavy end of your healthy bmi or the light end. Do what makes you feel good and stay healthy. I agree though that .5 lb loss a week is a more practical goal (the one I have set for myself).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Sorry, but what the hell is this comment? Not everyone aspires to be at the top of their BMI range. I'm 5'3" and right now I weigh 113 pounds and I'm in the process of cutting off five pounds after coming off a bulk. When I'm done, I'll still be in a healthy weight range for my height.

Overall the forums here are useful, but it's over the top comments like these that test my patience. I've seen people advocate for others to stay higher on the BMI scale if they feel comfortable, yet if someone feels comfortable at the lower end they need help? I don't think so. BMI isn't everything but sheesh. People have fitness goals other than going from obese or overweight to a normal weight. A 5'4", 95 pound person needs to get help, not the OP.

People tend to feel unnecessarily defensive when someone is more successful than they are, but still wants to push themself. We are in a society that is slowly trying to lower the bar so we can feel better about our own mediocrity.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Sorry, but what the hell is this comment? Not everyone aspires to be at the top of their BMI range. I'm 5'3" and right now I weigh 113 pounds and I'm in the process of cutting off five pounds after coming off a bulk. When I'm done, I'll still be in a healthy weight range for my height.

Overall the forums here are useful, but it's over the top comments like these that test my patience. I've seen people advocate for others to stay higher on the BMI scale if they feel comfortable, yet if someone feels comfortable at the lower end they need help? I don't think so. BMI isn't everything but sheesh. People have fitness goals other than going from obese or overweight to a normal weight. A 5'4", 95 pound person needs to get help, not the OP.

People tend to feel unnecessarily defensive when someone is more successful than they are, but still wants to push themself. We are in a society that is slowly trying to lower the bar so we can feel better about our own mediocrity.

Or because we often see people on here with disorders. But yeah, sure. It's us.

OP: I wouldn't worry about changing your settings for one day, but if it becomes routine for your day to be more stationary then think about it.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

Or because we often see people on here with disorders. But yeah, sure. It's us.

OP: I wouldn't worry about changing your settings for one day, but if it becomes routine for your day to be more stationary then think about it.

Except if you read the post OP has reasonable goals and is eating a decent number of calories.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    jmidd97 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Activity level is generally used to cover non-exercise related activity (amount of activity on the job, if you walk/bike to/from work, activity at home), mainly because it's hard to measure and it's consistent on a day to day basis. Your martial arts and swimming would then be add-on exercises added separately when you execute them.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Ugh, whatever you may think about the comment, the "jealous fatties" nonsense is a ridiculous rebuttal. The poster has done an excellent job losing weight and we see a constant parade on here of people (often young women, but not always), with clear food issues. Whether the OP is one of those people is an open question, but showing some concern doesn't make one mediocre.

I never said jealous fatties. You did.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad that going lower in one's healthy BMI range can make a HUGE difference in the way people feel about themselves.
  • LazSommer
    edited April 2016
    Options

Ugh, whatever you may think about the comment, the "jealous fatties" nonsense is a ridiculous rebuttal. The poster has done an excellent job losing weight and we see a constant parade on here of people (often young women, but not always), with clear food issues. Whether the OP is one of those people is an open question, but showing some concern doesn't make one mediocre.

I never said jealous fatties. You did.

You used more words to imply the same meaning in a passive-aggressive way.

No, I didn't. You are free to project all you'd like, but I was simply commenting on how others like to tear people down who are successful for no reason. Telling someone to "get help" for trying to shave off unwanted belly fat is ridiculous and unwarranted.
  • scarletbegonias1214
    Options
    Also this idea that we should not want to lose weight if we are already healthy has sometimes made me feel embarrassed to even be trying. After dieting people will compliment me on looking good and thinner but I'm shy to discuss dieting because I worry I will seem silly or vain because I am not overweight. Society loves skinny girls but I guess it has to appear effortless.