Rather specific question regarding calories.

Options

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Get some help. You don't need to lose any weight.

Sorry, but what the hell is this comment? Not everyone aspires to be at the top of their BMI range. I'm 5'3" and right now I weigh 113 pounds and I'm in the process of cutting off five pounds after coming off a bulk. When I'm done, I'll still be in a healthy weight range for my height.

Overall the forums here are useful, but it's over the top comments like these that test my patience. I've seen people advocate for others to stay higher on the BMI scale if they feel comfortable, yet if someone feels comfortable at the lower end they need help? I don't think so. BMI isn't everything but sheesh. People have fitness goals other than going from obese or overweight to a normal weight. A 5'4", 95 pound person needs to get help, not the OP.

People tend to feel unnecessarily defensive when someone is more successful than they are, but still wants to push themself. We are in a society that is slowly trying to lower the bar so we can feel better about our own mediocrity.

Ugh, whatever you may think about the comment, the "jealous fatties" nonsense is a ridiculous rebuttal. The poster has done an excellent job losing weight and we see a constant parade on here of people (often young women, but not always), with clear food issues. Whether the OP is one of those people is an open question, but showing some concern doesn't make one mediocre.

I never said jealous fatties. You did.

You used more words to imply the same meaning in a passive-aggressive way.

No, I didn't. You are free to project all you'd like, but I was simply commenting on how others like to tear people down who are successful for no reason. Telling someone to "get help" for trying to shave off unwanted belly fat is ridiculous and unwarranted.

First it was "unnecessarily defensive when someone is more successful than they are," (directed at a poster who's lost 80 freakin pounds) now it's "no reason."

No, there was no reason for them to tear them down and you know it. OP posted reasonable stats and goals, and people told them to get help. I don't really care how much the other posters lost, I don't check all profiles and assume the weights lost or profile pictures are currently accurate. Any person who would be at OP'S level would not have told them to get help, so it's not difficult to assume where others are based on their responses.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Sorry, but what the hell is this comment? Not everyone aspires to be at the top of their BMI range. I'm 5'3" and right now I weigh 113 pounds and I'm in the process of cutting off five pounds after coming off a bulk. When I'm done, I'll still be in a healthy weight range for my height.

Overall the forums here are useful, but it's over the top comments like these that test my patience. I've seen people advocate for others to stay higher on the BMI scale if they feel comfortable, yet if someone feels comfortable at the lower end they need help? I don't think so. BMI isn't everything but sheesh. People have fitness goals other than going from obese or overweight to a normal weight. A 5'4", 95 pound person needs to get help, not the OP.

People tend to feel unnecessarily defensive when someone is more successful than they are, but still wants to push themself. We are in a society that is slowly trying to lower the bar so we can feel better about our own mediocrity.

Ugh, whatever you may think about the comment, the "jealous fatties" nonsense is a ridiculous rebuttal. The poster has done an excellent job losing weight and we see a constant parade on here of people (often young women, but not always), with clear food issues. Whether the OP is one of those people is an open question, but showing some concern doesn't make one mediocre.

I never said jealous fatties. You did.

You used more words to imply the same meaning in a passive-aggressive way.

No, I didn't. You are free to project all you'd like, but I was simply commenting on how others like to tear people down who are successful for no reason. Telling someone to "get help" for trying to shave off unwanted belly fat is ridiculous and unwarranted.

First it was "unnecessarily defensive when someone is more successful than they are," (directed at a poster who's lost 80 freakin pounds) now it's "no reason."

No, there was no reason for them to tear them down and you know it. OP posted reasonable stats and goals, and people told them to get help. I don't really care how much the other posters lost, I don't check all profiles and assume the weights lost or profile pictures are currently accurate. Any person who would be at OP'S level would not have told them to get help, so it's not difficult to assume where others are based on their responses.

So rather than just disagreeing, you ascribed motivations to the poster without actually knowing anything about her. Got it. Enjoy your assumptions.

Yes I did, as did the poster, I'm glad you finally figured that out. I apologize if I struck a nerve.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Agree 100%. It's funny how we have fat acceptance but anyone on the low end of the scale gets these kind of comments. My daughter is already hearing it at school and I have to keep assuring her that she's actually the healthy one. Just love the new normal . . . It's almost as if we can't have "love your body" without "hate everyone else's"
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would look into a good lifting routine or resistance (body) routine. Have protein around .6-.8g per lb of weight, a moderate deficit, a food scale for accuracy and give it time. You still have 10 lbs before dropping into the underweight category. If you get down there and still have areas, you can either recomp with a good heavy lifting routine or bulk/cut to add muscle to fill out the body. If you need a recommendation, either strong curve or NROL4W are good routines. But below is a pretty comprehensive list of the routines out there. And as I find more, I keep adding them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

... 5'4" and 119 pounds is hardly the 'top of the healthy BMI range', or we're not looking at the same chart at all.

And wanting to lose even 1 pound a week at that weight IS extremely unhealthy. And eating 1590 calories while being as active as OP at 18 IS also extremely unhealthy (I'm not getting anything from her post about her eating back exercise calories).
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

... 5'4" and 119 pounds is hardly the 'top of the healthy BMI range', or we're not looking at the same chart at all.

And wanting to lose even 1 pound a week at that weight IS extremely unhealthy. And eating 1590 calories while being as active as OP at 18 IS also extremely unhealthy.

Depends on the calculator used and the age of the individual. The bottom end using BMI for a 5'4" woman at age 25 is around 108 pounds. The ideal using several other forumulae is around 119-123 pounds. I'd suggest the overweight folks start focusing on their own weights rather than consistently going after the lighter folks and visa versa.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

And wanting to lose even 1 pound a week at that weight IS extremely unhealthy. And eating 1590 calories while being as active as OP at 18 IS also extremely unhealthy.

Depends on the calculator used and the age of the individual. The bottom end using BMI for a 5'4" woman at age 25 is around 108 pounds. The ideal using several other forumulae is around 119-123 pounds. I'd suggest the overweight folks start focusing on their own weights rather than consistently going after the lighter folks and visa versa.

I am not overweight by a long shot but thank you for the advice I guess? So rude.

But I guess it's fine, let's just encourage kids who want to starve themselves.
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited April 2016
    Options

I am not overweight by a long shot but thank you for the advice I guess? So rude.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you? You should definitely let the internet be the judge of that, considering you're so willing to diagnose the OP of an eating disorder.

Again, you should probably educate yourself before accusing someone of starving herself.

ETA: I find it funny that you find my post rude and yet you don't subject your own response to the OP to the same evaluation.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Consider another angle.

Here is some height/weight information on elite U.S. runners This is a link to one runner, but you can navigate through the page to find others. http://www.usatf.org/Athlete-Bios/Desiree-(Desi)-Davila.aspx

Are these people healthy or unhealthy? We don't have their blood stastics, etc. but I think it's a fair bet that they're pretty healthy. At least healthy enough to be competing at an elite level. And yes, that level of sports does demand some serious attention to nutrition and it may sacrifice something in the long run.

The point though is that the BMI charts and other formulae are not the beginning and end of the question. We have very little information on the OP. It's way too early to start deciding that she's too thin.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too and there's another 6lbs to be lost from that weight without being out of the ideal weight range, I know 6lbs on my frame is a lot so it's perfectly plausible you could easily lose a little fat without it being dangerous at that weight, 1500 cals is about what I eat for very slow loss so with your activity level OP I would say it sounds like a good starting number!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Running your stats through the calorie calculator I arrive at the goal of 1590 *only* with a goal to lose 2 lbs a week.

119 is on the low end of healthy for 5'4" and such an aggressive weight loss goal is unwise, likely to be difficult, and potentially unhealthy. I'm not saying you can't lose weight. I'm saying going about it through a deficit of 1000 calories / day is a really bad idea.

I agree with people suggesting taking up a weight lifting routine to address body shape dissatisfaction.

I also agree with @Francl27 that given your age coupled with a clearly unrealistic diet goal you are at high risk for serious body image problems. Most universities offer free nutrition and mental health counseling. Please take advantage of both. Even people without problems can benefit from talking things over with a trained councilor if they have significant lifestyle changes.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

How much do you weigh and how tall are you? You should definitely let the internet be the judge of that, considering you're so willing to diagnose the OP of an eating disorder.

Again, you should probably educate yourself before accusing someone of starving herself.

The OP is eating 210 per/day above her basal metabolic rate and reports that she is extremely active. I think it is understandable that some people might feel a little concerned for her given that. I don't necessarily claim she is trying to starve herself; but the goal is aggressive and the calories are low.

• sunnybeaches105
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

The OP is eating 210 per/day above her basal metabolic rate and reports that she is extremely active. I think it is understandable that some people might feel a little concerned for her given that. I don't necessarily claim she is trying to starve herself; but the goal is aggressive and the calories are low.

So you've been tracking her calories for a few weeks and you know what her basal metabolic rate is? Oh, you're just running that through a calculator that assumes the population mean? Do you know if the OP is Asian? Have you ever looked at similar calculators for places like Japan?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Consider another angle.

Here is some height/weight information on elite U.S. runners This is a link to one runner, but you can navigate through the page to find others. http://www.usatf.org/Athlete-Bios/Desiree-(Desi)-Davila.aspx

Are these people healthy or unhealthy? We don't have their blood stastics, etc. but I think it's a fair bet that they're pretty healthy. At least healthy enough to be competing at an elite level. And yes, that level of sports does demand some serious attention to nutrition and it may sacrifice something in the long run.

The point though is that the BMI charts and other formulae are not the beginning and end of the question. We have very little information on the OP. It's way too early to start deciding that she's too thin.

Competitive athletes aren't always healthy. Being faster than others doesn't translate to being healthier. Many of them use very unhealthy means to obtain an edge and have disordered eating habits.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I am curious for the OP to come back and answer this part. The meaning of active varies for people. For weight loss, the general rule is to aim for no more of a loss than 1% of your bodyweight per week, so if OP is aiming for one pound per week, it's within reason. Yes, it's aggressive, but within reason.
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited April 2016
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    Consider another angle.

Competitive athletes aren't always healthy. Being faster than others doesn't translate to being healthier. Many of them use very unhealthy means to obtain an edge and have disordered eating habits.

That is certainly true. The question though is about healthy weight. Keep in mind that a marathoner may be more sensitive to nutrition than a physique competitor because of performance requirements. Ultimately though, my response is focusing on what we don't know. We have very little information about the OP. Understand that I am not saying "she is healthy." Many of the questions that one would ask to determine that haven't been asked, but I'm going to venture a guess that those who have jumped on the answer of an eating disorder aren't qualfied to be making that determination, and they certainly didn't wait for questions and answers before making that determination.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

So you've been tracking her calories for a few weeks and you know what her basal metabolic rate is? Oh, you're just running that through a calculator that assumes the population mean? Do you know if the OP is Asian? Have you ever looked at similar calculators for places like Japan?

OK fine "estimated BMR" if you like. I realize we are all dealing with estimates when using any of these calculators or trackers. Even BMI is only accurate for ~80% of the population.

If 100% perfect information is required for expressing an opinion, they really need to take down this board.

I would never claim to know for certain what the OP or anyone else should for certain be doing. But based upon the information provided, and assuming she is as active as she claims, the the calorie numbers seem low.

• sunnybeaches105
    edited April 2016
    Options

OK fine "estimated BMR" if you like. I realize we are all dealing with estimates when using any of these calculators or trackers. Even BMI is only accurate for ~80% of the population.

If 100% perfect information is required for expressing an opinion, they really need to take down this board.

I would never claim to know for certain what the OP or anyone else should for certain be doing. But based upon the information provided, and assuming she is as active as she claims, the the calorie numbers seem low.

Perhaps it would be better to start asking the OP questions without immediately jumping to "eating disorder."? Perhaps, something along the lines, of "hey, OP, your calorie count seems low. How much a week are you actually losing and what are your goals with your current program?" I realize that this is a message board and everyone has their opinions (and I certainly could be accused of making assumptions in some of my answers), but when it comes to women on the low end of the BMI spectrum, the reaction in so many of these threads is similar to what happened here. That said, the OP is 18, or at least that is what her profile states, so she isn't going to be expected to be the same weight as someone in her 30s. And 1590 isn't all that low to begin with.

Edit: to get the calorie count correct
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just tossing the idea out there that perhaps the OP did not know her goal of 2lbs per week was aggressive? Common weight loss advise given outside MFP land is "2lbs per week is safe!" Not "1-2lbs a week and really closer to 0.5lbs per week if you're close to a healthy weight is safe". I learned multitudes from joining the MFP boards, and perhaps OP is the same. Had I come here at the same stage in my journey, and not at the beginning, I too would be at a healthy weight trying to lose 2lbs a week. Not because I had a problem or an eating disorder, but because I had heard my whole life it was safe, reasonable, and attainable.

Just another perspective.

ETA: the OP has 9 posts... I think its a good possibility that this rings at least a little true.