Coke cravingd

Options
sc487
sc487 Posts: 102 Member
I've been off coke (the drink)for 8 days and have amazing results but....I want one so bad I couldn't sleep last night! I was prowling around my kitchen like an addict going through withdrawals. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Please everyone else tell me how long you have been soda free! I really need some encouragement.

Replies

• elishiaf1984
    elishiaf1984 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to coke zero and limit it to one a day? Dieting shouldn't be giving up everything you love just modifying it... Instead of calorie infested regular Coke, go for a Coke Zero.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Go with diet or have one of those small mixer cans. Going cold turkey will only make u crave more. Come off it slowly !
  • sc487
    Options
    I appreciate the comments, but I can't stand the taste of the artificial flavored in diet/0. I did get a bottle of apple juice at work. That helped. After 24 hours of nothing but unsweetened tea and water, apple juice is soooo good
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Coke zero products taste pretty similar to regular, otherwise there's 10 calorie soda options that taste pretty good too. Or, try flavored sparkling waters-most are zero calories and it adds a bit of variety (Walmart has them around here for .50 a bottle in all sorts of flavors and they're carbonated so you still get the fizzy taste :) ).

However, juice is pretty calorie dense. In fact, it has close to the same amount of calories as in a can of regular coke. A serving of Motts apple juice has 120 calories and a can of regular coke is 140 calories.
  • kendrafcarter33
    kendrafcarter33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ice water with lemon in it help cut my cravings
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I had a pretty decent Diet Coke habit going on, and when I started my diet, I cut out all sodas and alcohol from November until last month. I had the occasional weekend light beer after about 6 weeks in, but that was it. Cold turkey, man. Had to be done.

Now that I've lost all the weight I wanted (and more), I've started letting myself have a Diet Coke here or there again, but I've kind of lost that loving feeling for them. I opened one yesterday evening and maybe had half of it, I forgot it was even open and just let it sit there.

I've done the switch from leaded to unleaded when it comes to soda. You just have to give yourself time. I actually learned to appreciate the diet version more; it's not so thick and sugary. The good news is that from a pure weight loss/CICO perspective, a diet soda has 0 calories so it won't impede your journey. There are lots of debates about it being good, bad, or indifferent on a myriad of other issues, but I'll save that argument for the Diet Coke thread...!

You can do it! It's like everything else on your journey; all about choices. Don't tell yourself that you can't have a soda. It's that you choose not to have one!
  • sc487
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Suggesting that you switch to "diet" coke is like a meth head suggesting you switch to "diet meth". Soda

Diet Meth, I like that
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why give it up? Just curious.

1 cup of apple juice has 113 calories 1 cup of coke...96 calories.

Tea has caffeine...for 12oz it has 37.4 mg 12oz of coke...34
    apple juice has 24 grams of sugar per cup...coke 1 cup has 12 grams

hmmm...
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just switch to Coke zero. There's nothing wrong with diet soda and it has less than 5 calories per serving. I'm a former Coke addict too, it's completely doable.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of soda, but if I wanted one that bad I would find a way to fit the 140 calories into my day. Or have a small 8oz coke and it will have less calories than a 12 oz. You don't have to entirely give up everything you love in order to eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Sheila8605
    Sheila8605 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I am struggling with a VERY bad addiction to Diet Coke and the aspartame has very serious side effects so I would not recommend you "just switch over" to a diet variety. Even Coke Zero has the same amount of aspartame as Diet Coke. Believe me, the things you read about aspartame poisoning are true. I'm living proof.

In response to your question. It is not easy to quit and I'm still struggling. But I find that having a variety of things to try helps keep me from getting too bored with any one drink, which would most certainly lead to a relapse. I have ice water, teas with stevia, flavored waters, decaf coffee with fat free half & half, water with fruit.

Just take one day at a time. And don't throw in the towel if you slip up. So many people do that. If you fall off the bike, brush off your knees, shrug your shoulders, say "oh well", and then get back on there.

Best of Luck.
  • cnavarro002
    cnavarro002 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am (was) in the same boat as you. Pepsi was my weakness. None of this unleaded stuff, I couldn't stand the taste of diet. I quit soda about 8 weeks ago. In the 8 weeks, I've had 4 total. Yes, I've caved, but when you consider I was easily drinking 44+ounces a day, I think I've done pretty good - and those 4, I didn't finish them, just quenched the craving. My go-to is Crystal Light. I cannot drink just water, and don't like ice tea. Crystal Light gives me the sweetness I crave and quenches my thirst. I'm sure someone will chime in and say how horrible it is, blah-blah-blah and they are probably right, but at 5 calories a serving, it's better than what I was doing. The first 2 weeks were probably the hardest. I try not to think of "oh I can't have a Pepsi today" I just say, "I'll just skip this one" and do it over and over again. I take it one day at a time. That's all I can do. Good luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    That stuff is so bad, both diet and regular. Increase water consumption and if you need a flavored drink try unsweetened iced tea with lemon. I found that the more I reduced sugar the less I missed it. Now if you take the sugar bowl out of my house I would never know it.
  • aureliapeycher
    aureliapeycher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I am absolutely addicted to it too... Although I usually drink the diet/zero one. I manage to come off it for 3 to 4 days but if we go out or if I get too tired and just have 1 i can't stop again and need to have more :-( Trying again now so can't give you much advice but at least you are not alone! Well done for what you achieved so far!! :-)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    why give it up? Just curious.

1 cup of apple juice has 113 calories 1 cup of coke...96 calories.

Tea has caffeine...for 12oz it has 37.4 mg 12oz of coke...34
    apple juice has 24 grams of sugar per cup...coke 1 cup has 12 grams

hmmm...

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Apple juice has a lot of sugar in it. Is there a specific reason you're wanting to stay away from coke? I prefer to drink diet soda just because if I'm going to drink a lot of calories, I'd rather it be something with alcohol in it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Coke zero products taste pretty similar to regular, otherwise there's 10 calorie soda options that taste pretty good too. Or, try flavored sparkling waters-most are zero calories and it adds a bit of variety (Walmart has them around here for .50 a bottle in all sorts of flavors and they're carbonated so you still get the fizzy taste :) ).

However, juice is pretty calorie dense. In fact, it has close to the same amount of calories as in a can of regular coke. A serving of Motts apple juice has 120 calories and a can of regular coke is 140 calories.

The 10 calorie sodas are great. That little bit of sugar covers up for the non-sugar taste.

I have 1 or 2 diet sodas everyday.....never stopped weight loss for me. I remember Diet Tab (saccharine - blech!) now there was some aftertaste.
    Sheila8605 wrote: »
    Well, I am struggling with a VERY bad addiction to Diet Coke and the aspartame has very serious side effects so I would not recommend you "just switch over" to a diet variety. Even Coke Zero has the same amount of aspartame as Diet Coke. Believe me, the things you read about aspartame poisoning are true. I'm living proof.

The so-called "serious side effects" or "poisoning" from aspartame are NOT true. If aspartame triggers migraines for you.....then by all means quit using aspartame. The vast majority of people use aspartame without any "serious side effects" whatsoever.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/20131211/aspartame-sweetener-deemed-safe
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with diet soda
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I don't drink a lot of soda, but if I wanted one that bad...
    Sheila8605 wrote: »
    Well, I am struggling with a VERY bad addiction to Diet Coke
    I am (was) in the same boat as you. Pepsi was my weakness....Yes, I've caved, but.....I didn't finish them, just quenched the craving.....I cannot drink just water, and don't like ice tea
    I am pretty sure I am absolutely addicted to it too... Although I usually drink the diet/zero one.

All this addiction, and yet still most are in complete denial and would fight hard to reinforce the idea that "diet soda" is a healthy choice and wouldn't be abnormal for your body to process.

Read this if you're curious about the body effects of diet soda.

http://therenegadepharmacist.com/diet-coke-exposed-happens-one-hour-drinking-diet-coke-coke-zero-similar-diet-soda/
    ‘Artificial sweeteners are associated with a drop in the appetite-regulating hormone leptin. Leptin is the hormone that inhibits hunger so diet drinks like diet coke actually make you hungry and less satisfied with normal amounts of food, and finally when you eat or drink a lot of chemicals that your body simply cannot break down, your body makes more and more internal fat to wrap the chemicals in keeping those harmful chemicals away from your vital organs. As diet coke has no calories and no recognised ingredients we know it is a cocktail of chemicals that encourage your body to gain and store weight especially on your legs and bottom away from your organs. diet drinks are not good for your body your health or even as it turns out for dieting.’

And if you don't care to read, consider what might be wrong with finding water boring. Consider what might be strange about preferring a can of artificially sweetened lab-created dehydrating chemical liquid over water. Human bodies need water to survive. Human bodies do not need a non-nourishing chemical liquid like soda to survive.

The Renegade Pharmacist....oh boy

More of his "scientific" knowledge...

http://therenegadepharmacist.com/how-to-get-rid-of-dangerous-belly-fat/

"Gentle" detoxes and no refined foods. I guess I better throw my steel cut oats.

Also from the Renegade pharmacist......sound healing.
  • sanson0
    sanson0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you're tired of just plain water you can get some of those water additives to add some flavor and sweetness with not a lot of calories. I used to get them in powered form in packets, but there are a lot of liquid options out there now, too.