Sweet Potatoes

Options

Replies

• kittehkitteh88
    kittehkitteh88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato hash - dice and par boil a sweet potato then (using low calorie spray) fry with diced peppers, onions, a chopped chilli and some garlic, season with salt, pepper and a pinch of dried thyme and serve with a poached egg - awesome
  • kittehkitteh88
    kittehkitteh88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A microwaved sweet potato served with low fat cottage cheese is a quick and easy lunch
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Roasted! Yes!

Also, we cut in half and lay face down on pan lined with parchment paper drizzled with olive oil and sea salt then drizzle olive oil and salt over the backs and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes -- they come out with a little "crust" that is too delicious! Everyone always asks if I've put honey or something on them -- nope. Doesn't need anything else!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you ever grill, coat some in a little salt and olive oil, wrap in foil and throw on the grill for an hour or so until they're nice a mushy. Let them cool, pop em in the fridge and eat cold with some salt and cinnamon.
  • CompanionNerd
    CompanionNerd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can also make (not low calorie) sweet potato casserole. Boil them and mash them up with light brown sugar and butter until they have a mashed potato consistency and then add cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, then top with marshmallows and pop under the broiler until golden brown and delicious. Sometimes I use canned yams if I am being lazy. I usually consume this twice a year on thanksgiving and easter.
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is a rice/bean/sweet potato dish that is delicious hot or cold.

Roast the sweet potatoes with EVOO and spices (I like a jamaican seasoning, but also use garlic, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper).

Cook up some jasmine or brown rice. Mix in roasted sweet potatoes, some craisins or raisins, one can of rinsed black beans, chopped cilantro, and the juice of one lime. Divine!!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    My kids steal my baked sweet potatoes. And my sweet potato fries. And anything with "Mom's orange potatoes." They have to eat theirs slower, or I have to eat mine faster.

tumblr_me62352tez1qivcri.gif
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Love them in pretty much every way.

As a mash topping for cottage pie
    Sweet potato soup w/coconut milk
    Baked/roasted with olive oil, garlic, spices
    Mashed or baked with cinnamon, almond butter or peanut butter
    Sweet potato pie!!! <---Haven't had that since I moved to England, I need to look up a recipe and make it asap

The only problem with sweet potatoes is that I don't find them particularly filling. I think regular potatoes are more satiating which is why I don't eat the sweet variety as often as I'd like.
  • Melanie9072016
    Melanie9072016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »

Sweet potato pie!!! <---Haven't had that since I moved to England, I need to look up a recipe and make it asap

The only problem with sweet potatoes is that I don't find them particularly filling. I think regular potatoes are more satiating which is why I don't eat the sweet variety as often as I'd like.

Omg I so need to bake this!!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    My kids steal my baked sweet potatoes. And my sweet potato fries. And anything with "Mom's orange potatoes." They have to eat theirs slower, or I have to eat mine faster.

tumblr_me62352tez1qivcri.gif

Nawwww 'mom's Orange potatos' haha sweet! No pun intended
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    My current favorite is a rice/bean/sweet potato dish that is delicious hot or cold.

Roast the sweet potatoes with EVOO and spices (I like a jamaican seasoning, but also use garlic, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper).

Cook up some jasmine or brown rice. Mix in roasted sweet potatoes, some craisins or raisins, one can of rinsed black beans, chopped cilantro, and the juice of one lime. Divine!!

Thanks for that!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    You can also make (not low calorie) sweet potato casserole. Boil them and mash them up with light brown sugar and butter until they have a mashed potato consistency and then add cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, then top with marshmallows and pop under the broiler until golden brown and delicious. Sometimes I use canned yams if I am being lazy. I usually consume this twice a year on thanksgiving and easter.

Sounds lush
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    If you ever grill, coat some in a little salt and olive oil, wrap in foil and throw on the grill for an hour or so until they're nice a mushy. Let them cool, pop em in the fridge and eat cold with some salt and cinnamon.

Cold? Hummmmmmm will definitely try this. Thank you
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    GYATagain wrote: »
    Roasted! Yes!

Also, we cut in half and lay face down on pan lined with parchment paper drizzled with olive oil and sea salt then drizzle olive oil and salt over the backs and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes -- they come out with a little "crust" that is too delicious! Everyone always asks if I've put honey or something on them -- nope. Doesn't need anything else!

Yummy!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    A microwaved sweet potato served with low fat cottage cheese is a quick and easy lunch

Gorgeous!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I like to buy the sweet potatoes wrapped in plastic. They look like this:

microwave-ready_sweet_potatoes_front_only.jpg

Anyways, you keep them in the wrapper and microwave for 8-10 minutes. The great thing about this is they steam themselves. I've had better tasting sweet potato in this format than the really-long bake time.

I'm a simple salt, pepper, and a lil butter type. ;)

Thank you. I'll look out for these too.
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    JShailen wrote: »

Won me over!
  • Melanie9072016
    Options
    I didn't care for them for a long time either, just recently changed my mind too. I like them with a fried egg on top to take away some of the sweetness.

Going to have this. Love eggs too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    They are a staple in my diet. Brown rice, no so much!

Any great Brown Rice recipes??

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe.html