Options
    Thanks everyone...
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I like to buy the sweet potatoes wrapped in plastic. They look like this:

microwave-ready_sweet_potatoes_front_only.jpg

Anyways, you keep them in the wrapper and microwave for 8-10 minutes. The great thing about this is they steam themselves. I've had better tasting sweet potato in this format than the really-long bake time.

I'm a simple salt, pepper, and a lil butter type. ;)

You're paying extra to have them wrap it for you. Stab it a couple times with a fork, wrap it in a paper towel, give paper towel a few drips of water, put it in the microwave and save the money on the plastic wrap.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I like to buy the sweet potatoes wrapped in plastic. They look like this:

microwave-ready_sweet_potatoes_front_only.jpg

Anyways, you keep them in the wrapper and microwave for 8-10 minutes. The great thing about this is they steam themselves. I've had better tasting sweet potato in this format than the really-long bake time.

I'm a simple salt, pepper, and a lil butter type. ;)

You're paying extra to have them wrap it for you. Stab it a couple times with a fork, wrap it in a paper towel, give paper towel a few drips of water, put it in the microwave and save the money on the plastic wrap.

it's not the same. the texture is different in the wrap vs. the traditional method.

Not to mention i usually do this at work where the option of stabbing the potato is not possible.

ps. at a cost of 80cents a peice, it's not a big deal to me. ;)
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love mine as my first meal topped with eggs. Super yum!
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine in a wet paper towel. *exessive* water squeezed out. Put it on a plate microwave for 3 to 4 miniutes flip and repeat, they turn out perfect. No way I'm waiting an hour for it to bake in the oven again.
  • lmdmatt
    lmdmatt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love them, too. Baked.

I also have a severe tomato allergy, and I make a pasta "sauce" from them -- I take baked yam (the orange sweet potatoes) and mash it with water and a bit of milk, add garlic, salt, pepper, and a spritz of lemon juice, and then use it as a topping for stuffed manicotti or lasagna. It's sweeter and less tangy than a regular tomato sauce, but I loooooove it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Had these tonight-> http://www.ciaochowbambina.com/sweet-potato-fritters-sriracha-mayo/
    I was never a sweet potato eater because the only way I ever saw them was with sugar, marshmallows, syrup. They don't need that!
  • hcolligan
    hcolligan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Me too Melanie! I don't why I hadn't tried them before. I love them wedged, sprayed with frylight and tossed in Cajun spice. Yummy
  • Melanie9072016
    Melanie9072016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My hubby does mine on the bbq like a baked potato, but when it's done, he drizzles honey and sea salt and a touch of pepper..SUPER YUMMY! When I do mine, I'm a little less fun, I just use butter and salt. But I'm like you, I have no idea how I made it to 46 without eating them, I now consume at least 5 a week MYSELF!!

Do you? Haha they're seriously nice.
  • Melanie9072016
    Melanie9072016 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    hcolligan wrote: »
    Me too Melanie! I don't why I hadn't tried them before. I love them wedged, sprayed with frylight and tossed in Cajun spice. Yummy

See I'm not keen on wedges but will give sweet potato wedges a go! Glad I'm not alone.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Just don't deep fry them in lard if you want to lose weight B)

:D:D

I love baked sweet potatoes as well! You can also bake them and then smash them up or puree them. So good!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I have started to put 2 tablespoons of melted peanut butter on top of mine with maybe a sprinkle of cinnamon. Mmm.

Oh my gosh! That sounds so good. I'm going to try that next time.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i use a layer of sweet potato in a dish as a base for my quiche instead if pastry, but just make sure you cook the potato base for about 25 mins in oven (180) before pouring in egg mixture then another 30 mins in oven to finish . yum!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Baked or roasted with taco fixings on top.

The drizzled honey and sea salt sounds awesome!
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into cubes and season with a bit of crushed garlic and a sprinkle of rosemary. Then I roast it with some 1 cal spray along with some sweet red pepper, mushrooms and courgette chunks. Then serve it topped with grilled chicken :)