Can I loose weight without starving?

Options
Is it possible to loose weight if you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full?

Or do I have to starve? It seems the only time I've ever succeeded with loosing is through starvation (HCG a year ago and unhealthy crash diets in my 20s).

I have given myself a good "break" from dieting for a good 9 months but I don't gained nearly 20 lbs. They NEED to come off, but I don't think my psyche or my body can handle another assault... And I've never been successful with a moderate calorie deficit.

Any advice welcomed:?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why were you not successful with moderate calorie deficit?
  • mfmetsker
    mfmetsker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why were you not successful with moderate calorie deficit?
    I often loose faith that it will work after a week or 2 then dive in to some low carb or paleo or shake thing and then blow it all rather quickly on one night of beer and pizza.

I don't want to give up cream in my coffee, or wine a few times a week. :( do I have to?

I run 3-5 times a week and do yoga too
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You don't have to give up anything! Really! You just need to be in a deficit, a reasonable deficit, a nothing to carzy deficit.

What are your stats? Age, weight, height and goal weight?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    mfmetsker wrote: »
    Is it possible to loose weight if you eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full?
    That's very hard to answer. So it's both yes and no, depending on what you do.

If you drink coffee (even with a bit of powder creamer) all day to starve off hunger and simultaneously drink a big glass of water as you eat each bite at dinner, you won't likely even eat enough calories!!!

If you snack on starchy, salty, heavily spiced snacks all day, eat dried side dishes and calorie dense meats for dinner, you'll easily eat enough calories for 2 days+.

• myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i have pizza once a week. just make that your cheat day if its over. sometimes i try to be really healthy at other meals and can fit it in.
  • mfmetsker
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 175(+-) 32 y/0, desk job/ sahm

I'm logging around 1600 per day now when I don't blow it on a binge day.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like the only thing you are lacking is patience to see it through! You already know what doesn't work and haven't given what has been proven to work the time to make a difference in your body. Another thing, do not rely on the stupid scale to show you change. Take those embarrassing "before" pictures and sock them away for future reference, dig them out in a few months and see the difference. The other measuring stick to go by is your current clothing, give it some time and you will notice a difference. You can do this! Just give it time to work and don't beat yourself up over a treat now and then.
  • mfmetsker
    Options
    [quote

I use full fat half-and-half in my coffee and have wine almost every night. I try to walk every night, but don't always do it.

30+ lbs down and on my way to goal.

Oh, and I'm turning 51 next month and I'm peri-menopausal.

If it works for me, it will work for you. Sounds like the main thing you need is an attitude adjustment.
    Yes. And yes. An attitude adjustment is in order. But are you hungry in your success? I don't mean cravings? I mean does your stomach growl before bed at night? That's my marker.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 175(+-) 32 y/0, desk job/ sahm

I'm logging around 1600 per day now when I don't blow it on a binge day.

I have a feeling that you'll be disappointed with that calorie per day setting.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I don't get hungry unless I don't eat enough. My diary is open, check it out.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes you can.

However, you need to get rid of the "instant gratification" mentality, because there is none in weight loss. It takes alot of time and patience.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes consistency. You're gonna have to stick it out longer than a week before feeling so discouraged you just stop. Keep going. You need to concentrate on water intake (since thirst and hunger cues are so similar) and filling foods. Don't jump on fads... they're in and out with the season for a reason.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you do it right you shouldn't be "starving".
    Try a 500 calorie deficit, add in cardio so you can eat small treats, try to get in at least 80 grams of protein or more through protein shakes or lean meats like chicken, turkey and fish, log everything to a T, weighing it all on a food scale, and you will lose weight. You won't feel hungry, and you can enjoy treats. Fill up your tummy with veggies through the day. They don't have much in the way of calories. Spinach, celery, peppers, and cucumbers are great to munch on.
    I eat chocolate often. Tootsie rolls are great BTW. Low calories and they last a while. I drink wine and beer every day. One or the other, not both and always in moderation.
    Hunger isn't an issue for me and I am losing weight at a steady .5 lb a week on a 250 cal def. 500 cal deficit will make you lose 1 lb a week but you still shouldn't feel hungry if you eat lean meats and veggies.
    You can friend me if you want help. :-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    [quote

I use full fat half-and-half in my coffee and have wine almost every night. I try to walk every night, but don't always do it.

30+ lbs down and on my way to goal.

Oh, and I'm turning 51 next month and I'm peri-menopausal.

If it works for me, it will work for you. Sounds like the main thing you need is an attitude adjustment.
    Yes. And yes. An attitude adjustment is in order. But are you hungry in your success? I don't mean cravings? I mean does your stomach growl before bed at night? That's my marker.

No. And I eat 1300 during the week days with some higher days on the weekend. I have just learned what keeps me full and the best macro break down for me.
  • mfmetsker
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I don't do this but why not try doing cardio everyday like 800 - 1000 and eat those Cal back maybe not all but 3/4 maybe?

I work full time from home and have 2 kids little kids who don't even let me pee by myself. If I did that one of them would likely end up riding their bikes in the highway. Good suggestion though. No excuses though - that's just not sustainable for me
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I don't do this but why not try doing cardio everyday like 800 - 1000 and eat those Cal back maybe not all but 3/4 maybe?

I work full time from home and have 2 kids little kids who don't even let me pee by myself. If I did that one of them would likely end up riding their bikes in the highway. Good suggestion though. No excuses though - that's just not sustainable for me

Yep, silly advice. Hopefully that was sarcasm.