my daughter is bringing home ice cream right now

Options

Replies

• manders376
    manders376 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    the obvious solution is to change the locks on the house before she returns and disown the sabotaging little bugger

^^hahha this is a great answer :laugh: :laugh:
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The way I see it you have a few choices.
    1. Know that it's a special treat with your daughter, and just go over calories once in awhile.
    2. You can try and exercise some portion control, which is hard.
    3. If your daughter is old enough to bring home the ice cream, she is old enough to understand that you are trying to lose weight. Tell her that having ice cream around especially at night, is too difficult for you. Ask her to buy a small pint for herself. Let her know that you are trying to make some changes. Enjoy the movie night without the food.

Personally I know there are going to be days that I am just going to go over and just enjoy the food. Like yesterday, went to my sisters for a barbecue. I knew ahead of time I was going to go over, and I didn't worry about it. I enjoyed the day with my family, and worked my butt off a little more today. Our family gatherings are always filled with good food, and I enjoy it. I bring fruit or a salad, and some of my other sisters do that too. Figure out what you want, and talk to your daughter about it. I am sure she will support you.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    100 jumping jax- I can do that. I will get off here and get to it.
    Thanks

Don't forget the crunches and pushups. :huh:
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You could try buying the cones for kids and only eat what will fit in the cone and one scoop above it.
  • jniels1975
    jniels1975 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    put your bikini on while she's gone and wait on the sofa with your spoon. I'm sure the thought of enabling will appear differently when she sees what she'll be looking like in a few years too. maybe next time she'll go for a baby carrot or smoothie run. I find nothing more satisfying than torturing my children with the ultimate reality that they will turn into me. I find it quite satisfying. Good luck!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'd plan for the calories and enjoy it guilt free.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have these tiny little bowls that I use when prepping meals, and they're also good for a little scoop of ice cream.

Or you could just not eat any. That won't kill you either.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Have you considered putting up for adoption?
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    One way I can conquer a craving is looking at the calories on the package. The thought of logging it is usually the best deterrent for me. I make it a point to log everything and that keeps me from binging terribly. this same process works at the store in avoiding buying stuff too.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Make room for it in your calories or don't eat it. Just because your daughter is having some doesn't mean you have to as well. It's not rocket surgery.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Have you considered putting up for adoption?

the kid is too old for adoption. better to commit a crime, frame the daughter for it, and testify against her in court. that will teach her
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerrys sells individual sized cups that are 3.6 ounces. Ask that your daughter buy the flavor she wants in the single serving container, and she can get however many she wants to eat. If you want to indulge in Ben and Jerrys, ask that she get you one single serving container.

That way, if you do want ice cream you are limited to one container. If you don't want to eat any, you wont be tempted by a half eaten carton.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    carlaunderconstruction Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is the worst for me, it's a food that I have a hard time eating only in moderation. Therfore I try to avoid it, so I don't end up having an ice cream bender. Oh, and I'm allergic to casein the protein in dairy, so it's not a good idea for me personally to indulge.

You have some options:

1. Enjoy in moderation
    2. Find a subsituiton for Ben & Jerry's to enjoy
    3. Let your daughter enjoy the ice cream while you do not partake
    4. Have a talk with your daughter about how hard you working, and that you would her not to eat foods like ice cream in front of you.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    the kid is too old for adoption. better to commit a crime, frame the daughter for it, and testify against her in court. that will teach her

Hmmm . . . . that's a good idea . .

OP . . do you have any access to controlled substances via your social network. Perhaps you could simply place something in her back pack and then when she heads off to school make an anonymous tip to the local authorities.

It would have to be a substantial amount though. We wouldn't want her getting out in a couple of months and recreating all these problems for your weight loss again.
  • caseyg9888
    caseyg9888 Posts: 36
    Options
    Is your daughter overweight as well? Maybe neither of you need the ice cream.
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I did well, I think. One serving, then quickly off to brush my teeth which got me to thinking, brushing the teeth can keep me from going back for seconds all the time. Right after I brushed I drank me a glass of water.

maybe this will help others: If you need to avoid eating something, brush the teeth and drink a large glass of water.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    What do I do?

Go crazy, indulge, beat myself up for it later and work harder the next couple of days.

What should you do?

Just let them know you're trying to watch your weight, and if they bring something over that's fine just try to make sure it's low calorie :) or maybe even just fresh fruit with some low calorie whipped cream to dip it in?
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt can also be just as delightful and quite guilt-free, depending on the brand and flavor ;)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    that would be great but she wants "new york super fudge chunk" and only ben and jerry makes it.

OMG that is the best icecream ever. I can't portion it either. Best thing to do is throw it away.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    a) Ask her to pick up a lower-calorie option for you and bring that home, or
    b) Measure out a serving size of the one she wants, or
    c) Don't have any of the one she is bringing home and make your own ice cream with frozen bananas, cocoa powder, etc.