Jelly AND Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i tried the Jello and greek yogurt again. This time i microwaved it for 30 seconds then mixed, then microwaved for another 30 seconds then mixed again and put it in the fridge. It came out good this time. I guess microwaving for 1 minute at a time made it watery(got too hot) but just 30 second increments for a total of 1 minute got the yogurt hot enough for the jello powder to dissolve but not turn the yogurt watery. Once it hardened it had a nice thick consistency. i liked it. Will do this again.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Holy cow, I'm used to eating sugar free jelly or yogurt when I'm dieting but I just had a jelly and a yogurt TOGETHER and it was amazeballs.

Thought I'd share.

P.S. Jelly in the UK is not what they call Jelly in American - is that Jam? - just so everyone knows I am not eating yogurt with jam in it :smiley:

UK jelly = US jello
    US jelly is gelled fruit juice
    US jam is gelled crushed fruit
    US preserves is gelled whole fruit

I love jello (your jelly) but I don't like the aftertaste of sugar free. What I do that I have been eating a lot of is jello I make myself:
    1 Tbl (or packet) unflavored gelatin
    2 cups water
    1 packet Crystal Light drink mix

Make the same way you make jello except you need to soak the gelatin in 1/4 cup of cool water for a few minutes before. I start it the same time I put the kettle on to boil.

Can't go wrong with 40 calories, 2 cups water, and 7 grams protein.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Jell-o. I just made a greek yogurt and jell-o thing last night. I mixed them together, microwaved it for a few minutes taking it out every minute and mixing. By the 2nd minute the yogurt became watery and after it hardened it had a weird grainy/lumpy texture. It was just ok. How do you combine yours?

My guess is that microwaving yogurt really screws it up chemically. I am curious about just mixing greek yogurt and Jell-o mix. I wonder how that would taste?

i think this really comes down to cultural differences. Kind of like how leaving eggs at room temperature, butter at room temp, etc. are all "no-nos" in american culture.

The "culture" difference in eggs has less to do with the eggs and more to do with the farming practices. In the UK and most European countries, chickens are all vaccinated against salmonella so it is safe to keep the eggs at room temp. Only about 1/3 of laying hens in the US are vaccinated against it so their eggs must be kept cold for safety reasons.

Most people I know keep their butter at room temperature, unless it is a hot summer day and they don't have A/C. Then the butter goes in the fridge so it doesn't melt into soft mush.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek is an awesome snack when mixed with my Pb2 and strawberry jelly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh and if American's call jam jelly, what DO you guys call jam? :/

I am so confused and have no idea what you just ate. :-)

In the US, jam is a fruit spread made with the whole fruit and jelly basically has the pieces of fruit strained out. I think? I've always been a jam person, not a jelly person, so am not a jelly expert.

Your jelly might be our jello?

Edit: fully covered, I see. Jam in yogurt actually sounds kind of tasty.