People who mean well but actually don't

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I mistyped as was in a rush writing .the joys of kids ha

What did you mean to type instead of 'friends and family'?

It's scary admitting you need help OP, but you need to get healthy.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Diary is now private.

OP, maybe some quality time with your concerned loved ones could be helpful. Sometimes they see things in us we're not willing to admit. :heart:
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've not made my diary private so I'm a bit confused as to how that's happened.i spend lots of time with my family and friends .I just meant to put friend
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP--I never say this, but I'm worried too. If you're logging correctly you're below 1000 cals alot of days. Your picture shows this also. Please see a professional ASAP. If they say you are healthy, excuse my concern, if not, you might just save your life.
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    I don't log everything though like most people do
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I don't log everything though like most people do

Would you mind posting your stats?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I am cutting back on cardio but I enjoy what I do and what I eat plus the exercise allows me to have more food if I want to.
    I'm listening to my body and I'm perfectly healthy .my face was thin when I was a few stone heavier but I'm the right weight for my height and I'm focusing on maintaining and upping calories now

I usually do not post any comments in this kind of postings but I suggest that you double check the calories burned listed in your exercise diary. There is no way to burn 300 calories in a 60 minutes Pilates class or burn 1000 calories doing Zumba. No way Jose. You are actually kidding yourself!

If you are exercising to be able to eat more, you are not doing that either, so what is going on? If I were your friend, I would be worried about you too.
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    That's what I googled for them when I first started the classes .
    I'm 5 foot 3 and a half and 8 stone and 1 lbs as of last Wednesday .
    I never eat my exercise calories back anyway
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You need to eat your calories back
  • TavistockToad
    Options

You claim you exercise to be able to eat more but now you say you don't eat any exercise cals back?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Then why did you say you do more exercises so that you can eat more?? Something not right, you keep changing your stories and I don't believe your weight either.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    OP, your avatar suggests you are gaunt which means you aren't eating enough or God forbid you have a terminal illness. Whilst it is difficult to ascertain the 'tone' of typed words, you 'sound' like someone who has a problem with your diet. I've been here myself, I was told by many people I was gaunt at one point but I could never see it or realise I had a problem. So I'm not surprised you feel you don't have a problem because you probably genuinely feel that you are totally fine. But you're showing quite a few classic signs here of needing help, for your kids sake, at least speak to a doctor.
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    I came on here for a rant about one friend .
    I meant if I want to have a bit of indulgence like when I went to pizza hut buffet for the first time in over a year recently that I can do that because I know that I have extra calories available .
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear .
    I am definitely 8 stone and 1lbs and have the printout from boots to show it .I've done my weight loss on my own and it's all a learning curve for me still even after 14 months .
    If I honestly feel I need professional help I will take it but I don't feel I need it.
    Yet again I appreciate everyone's advice and thank you
  • tamaraworrall
    Options
    And I don't deprive myself if I want something then i will eat it.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 There is no way to burn 300 calories in a 60 minutes Pilates class or burn 1000 calories doing Zumba.

You are correct. I've read articles and seen comments by many trainers who say people are way overestimating the actual calorie burn, and the machines also give 'false' readings to make their products look better. People always guess much higher than actual body fat burn.

(In a controlled medical rehab center I was able to see how few calories are burned on a stationary bike, the medical staff confirmed people are "wishful thinking" when they track exercise calories.

Johnathan Bailor (https://sanesolution.com) first discovered his middle aged female clients weren't lying when they said they DID stick to low calorie, low fat diets and excercised vigorously..but had little weight loss, while he could eat 3x as much and lose easily...
    So it was WHAT they ate that needed to be changed, not endless exercise.

In addition you are usually using up the energy (carbs) you just consumed not attacking the residual fat stores. There is a lot about this online to read.

SInce each body/your age/history/meds use is different, then how it uses energy CAN'T be so easily determined by a dial on a machine.

the 600lb people who go to a low carb/1200 calorie diet can barely move at first, but lose easily. If they even COULD exercise heavily it only makes them hungrier and less able to stick to the lower calorie intake.

healthy younger bodies, new to being overweight can respond better at losing, ..the older we get the less our bodies respond especially if we mucked about with crazy diets for years.!

yes there is always the few % at age 60 who make it SEEM like we can achieve a 100lb etc loss in 6 months..but mostly No. and because 97% -99% regain most weight lost is is keeping it off as the problem..

Dr.Jason Fung describes why you can race yourself down by continued heavy exercise as you lose..then the body regulates at lower calorie need and you are forced to keep the massive exercise going to keep the weight off.
    A Lose lose situation. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/?s=exercise+weight+loss

If you enjoy exercise, of whatever type, it is beneficial to circulation and mental health. etc. Great.

But finding the right nutrition program for you... (NOT wraps, and HCG drops +500 calorie diets!) or all the chemical laden frozen food sellers pushing this junk, and just prepare and eat real food the body can actually use, is best.

• tamaraworrall
    Options
    I don't agree with any of those fad things like juice plus or Cambridge diet as it's only a short term solution to a long term problem ..I've always said this isn't a diet it's a change of lifestyle .
    I had to educate myself in what was healthy to eat and yes I was strict whilst getting to my goal but I had a lot of willpower and motivation to achieve what I wanted .
    That information is very helpful thank you :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    To be fair, the exercise calories are very overestimated, but even so there's no need for that level of exercise on 1500 cals.

saying 'exercise allows me to eat more' is a massive red flag in this situation.

Absolutely over inflated. 300 calories for an hour of Pilates? But still, I think my point stands, and it seems you agree.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options

I would say your friend has genuine concerns based on facts...you definitely are not eating enough, you are on the lower end of the bmi scale but you have lost a lot of weight, over 200lb, how much of your current weight is excess skin? Your weight would be even lower without the excess skin.

If you have been significantly under eating for some time you have probably lost a lot of lean body mass (muscle).

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You're 112 pounds at 5'3 which is about my size. You're at a nice, healthy weight technically, but we do all carry it differently.

Are you here to lose weight? You're at a healthy weight. Do you want to change your body? If so, weight loss might not be the thing for you. Maybe body decomposition and building some muscle.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You're 112 pounds at 5'3 which is about my size. You're at a nice, healthy weight technically, but we do all carry it differently.

Are you here to lose weight? You're at a healthy weight. Do you want to change your body? If so, weight loss might not be the thing for you. Maybe body decomposition and building some muscle.

I thing that she will be better doing a body "recomposition." :) Body decomposition will not look good on her or on anybody else...