If you only had 100$ a month to spend on food...

Options
12346»

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    All the ingredients for chili (ground beef, beens, tomato cans, peppers, onions)
    Eggs
    Frozen veggies
    Beans
    Rice
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Tuna and noodles!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My husband and I already do this. We hunt and fish so all of our meat (pretty much) comes from that. The rest of the grocery money is spent on fresh veggies, fruits, and whole foods like beans and such. We usually have enough left over to buy some "junk treats" as we feel like it. Usually we'll buy a frozen pizza or two and some pasta too. It saves A LOT when your meat is already in the freezer. We shop when there are good sales going on and participate in bountiful baskets ( www.bountifulbaskets.org ) to get the best prices on fruits and veggies.
  • SniffTheSweat
    Options
    Frozen Veg is great, loads and loads. Some of the cheapest meals around. I'd also get lots of Eggs, even on $100 a month u can get the ones direct from a farmer or local butcher. Can get 6 free range for £1 like that here. Left over cash goes into bacon and chicken breast to dice into the veg.
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are good :) My budget right now is about 200$ which doesn't need to be sacrificed at the moment, but I really would like to have a plan if/when the need arises. I am also only buying for one person, which makes 200$ stretch a bit further than if I was shopping for a family. Great suggestions!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Deli turkey
    Chicken breast
    Eggs
    Yogurt
    Frozen veggies
    Mozzarella cheese
    Pita pockets or whole wheat wraps
    Fruit
    Brown rice
    Steel cut oats
    Cottage cheese
    Coffee (:smile:)
    Peanut butter
    Dark chocolate
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. fruits and veggies
    2, turkey burgers
    3, ground turkey
    4. turkey franks
    5. eggs
    6. boneless skinless chicken breasts
    7. flavored rice cakes
    8. tea bags
    9. lemons
    10. pretzel sticks
    11. lettuce
    12. low fat mayo with olive oil
    13. pickles
    14. mustard
    15. turkey bacon
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a lot of dried beans and brown rice, to try to save as much money as possible for fresh fruits and veggies. Would like some peanut butter, whole wheat bread, cereal, and almond milk too.