2»

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I'm also getting 1200 calories here at MFP. However, I do Weight Watchers as well and they must be allowing me less in calories even though it's a points system they use so I'm not sure. But I started tracking food here more than there and when I went back there and tracked the same foods I was going over my points every day so I had to cut it back down some. I'm guessing they are giving me around 1000-1100 per day. BUT, with that, I was losing steadily on Weight Watchers before I came to MFP. My weight loss has stalled since starting here. :(

WW Points used to be lower in overall calories but then fruits & veggies were "free." MFP doesn't give you free fruits & veggies....so make sure you are logging them.

Also, MPF gives you 1200 based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week." The 1200 calorie result is a minimum default. MFP's 1200 calorie is BEFORE exercise. So any exercise you do adds to 1200.

If you are not losing, then you are likely eating more than you think. Check your logging entries, invest in a food scale. Weight loss does slow as you become smaller.

Yes, I definitely think it's the fact that I only have about 10 more pounds to lose. And I weigh and measure every thing and have for years so it's definitely not that. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Your body gives you the best answer, better than any guru, opinion, or even the online calculator. The more body fat you have the more you can get away with eating kinda low because there is more energy to draw from on a deficit. As you get closer to your goal, your body will tell you that you need to eat more - listen to that rather than trying to force a formula on yourself. The number you can trust is your maintenance number. Anything under that, even slightly, will be a defict. That's all you need to remember once you get close to your goal, and be patient. If you binge, clear sign it's too low.

Also to apply a blanket caloire rule to everyone is just plain silly. I'm 5 foot nothing and when I had significant body fat I could eat pretty low. That of course changed when I got down under 15%.

Great points! There have been a lot of days where I couldn't eat what I measured out or just wasn't hungry and stayed full longer, especially when I was first beginning to lose weight. I think this is what happened to me. Makes total sense.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    amy_ross86 wrote: »
    I actually struggle eating 1200 calories. I've had terrible eating habits before this. Skip breakfast, eat a ton a couple times a day and late at night. Now I eat a small but healthy breakfast a snack in between lunch that has fiber a healthy lunch full of vegetables and usually chixken. A snack before dinner and make sure my dinner is healthy with no less than 100 ounces of water a day

how? you never did before so why now?

Oh right you've cut out calorie dense foods you love.....wonder how that will work out when you add them back in?

and you've been sub 1200 long enough that the weight you have lost is muscle and fat?

SMH when will people learn.
    Brienunn wrote: »
    Ive been only eating around 1000-1200 calories a day since march, working out everyday and drink a gallon of water everyday also. Ive lost 15 pounds so far. I think its just whatever works for you and your body!

and when your hair starts to thin and your nails are brittle and you age and your bones get brittle let me know how it worked out for your body.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP (and others) make sure you understand that the 1200 is a net goal, so you should be eating back at least a portion of any exercise calories you earn.

OP with only about 20 lbs to lose you might want to aim for 0.5 lbs/week goal to help preserve lean body mass. For sure when you get down to 15 lbs or less you would want to change that goal.

For what it's worth, my stats are similar to yours. I'm 5'2, starting weight of 153 and currently maintaining around 120. I initially was set at 1200, eating back my exercise calories, was losing, but was always over. I started reading the good advice on these forums that 1200 is too low for so many people. I changed my goal to 1400, then 1500, still net, and was still losing 1 lb/week. I lost most of my weight eating 1600-1900 cals and am currently maintaining with a TDEE of 2300 per my FitBit.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If my hair started to fall out or my nails got brittle, I'd hit the panic button fast. Nothing like that has happened. I feel stronger and more vigorous than I have in years; my doctors couldn't be happier with me. I don't get hungry, I don't "crash," I don't run out of steam. Maybe 1200 is too low for some, but for someone my size and age it seems perfectly appropriate. I'm not even sure how far above 1200 my maintenance calories are going to be: this may be pretty close to right amount of food for me permanently. I'm hoping I'll be able to relax up to 1400 or so, especially if I let these new exercise habits become really ingrained.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Does this look like a degeneration in health?

November 2015

od27c8zvci5h.jpg

April 2016

wlmxeh5f16vz.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight loss vs fat loss.

weight is fat and muscle loss regardless of how small people get.

My only question for those eating 1200 are you tracking your macros and micros? probably not.

but we are all adults it's a choice we all have to make. If you prefer to eat 1200 or lower for an extended period of time, get that it is a probability that it will damage you (might not be immediate but it will)

and if you continue on too low calories the damage is compounded as you age.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200. I count all of my macros. I am only 119 and still losing weight on 1200 cal. a day.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'2, 46 yrs old and I do 1700-1900 (that's NET 1200 cals to 1300 calories) calories to lose weight. I don't understand why women think they need to lose weight on so little calories.

ETA: OP if you are not using digital food scale and weighing all your food, more then likely you are eating way more 1200 calories.
  • amy_ross86
    amy_ross86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I actually have been spot of my macros. And to answer the question why now? I have recently found out I have a defect of my pancreas. I have no gallbladder and it's either eat clean or a lot cleaner than I have been or be on extra meds for the rest of my life. I eat carbs, protein and good fats. I eat just as I have but measure and be sure to replace my soda with water. This is not sudden for me I've just decided to be more serious
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    weight loss vs fat loss.

weight is fat and muscle loss regardless of how small people get.

My only question for those eating 1200 are you tracking your macros and micros? probably not.

but we are all adults it's a choice we all have to make. If you prefer to eat 1200 or lower for an extended period of time, get that it is a probability that it will damage you (might not be immediate but it will)

and if you continue on too low calories the damage is compounded as you age.

This^

What people don't realize is, while fat + muscle loss leads to a smaller you - it also leads to a doughy or puffy look. I want to look slim & firm, not just be a smaller version of the current jiggly me.

People who retain lean muscle can be at the top of the "healthy weight range" for their height & feel good about how they look. But when you've gotten to the bottom of that "healthy weight range" for your height, and still don't like how you look.........that's lean muscle loss.