tried almond milk for the first time today...

Options

Replies

• operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I am SO with you! I wanted to love almond milk (and coconut milk for that matter), but blech! Not for me. Love my soy milk (especially flavoured). Man I miss regular milk though (recently diagnosed allergy)!

Boo on the alergy! I would go nuts if I couldn't drink milk anymore, I litterally crave the stuff lol, it takes so much will power to not drink the half gallon a day I was drinking before mfp, I couldn't imagine giving it up completely :(
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    plan almond milk has 1/2 the calories of skim milk and WAY less sugar
    skim milk is 80 calories 12 g sugar
    1% milk 110 calories 12g sugar
    plan almond milk
    35 calories 0 SUGAR
    I might be the exception to the rule, but I absolutely love almond milk and prefer it to cow milk for almost everything. The only thing I don't like it in is coffee, where I absolutely must have half and half.

I didn't like soy milk, and I can tolerate coconut milk. Haven't tried rice milk yet, although the ice cream made with it is good. You might want to explore those alternatives to see if one appeals to you.

I love soy milk, but only the flavored ones lol especially the vanilla... which is weird because I ussually don't like vanilla haha maybe I could try the flavored almond milk? but then its not really much less calories than regular milk...
    [/quote]
  • operation_cute
    Options
    plan almond milk
    35 calories 0 SUGAR
    I might be the exception to the rule, but I absolutely love almond milk and prefer it to cow milk for almost everything. The only thing I don't like it in is coffee, where I absolutely must have half and half.

I didn't like soy milk, and I can tolerate coconut milk. Haven't tried rice milk yet, although the ice cream made with it is good. You might want to explore those alternatives to see if one appeals to you.

I love soy milk, but only the flavored ones lol especially the vanilla... which is weird because I ussually don't like vanilla haha maybe I could try the flavored almond milk? but then its not really much less calories than regular milk...
    [/quote]

I know plain almond milk is a lot less calories, but thats the one I can't stand lol, I thought about trying the sweetened kind but its only 20 cals less per serving than just regular milk.... not really worth it to me :)
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried coconut milk to see if you like it better?
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    the sugar part is what can do with out
    i make my own Almond milk and add vanilla and dates to it
    plan almond milk
    35 calories 0 SUGAR

[/quote]

I know plain almond milk is a lot less calories, but thats the one I can't stand lol, I thought about trying the sweetened kind but its only 20 cals less per serving than just regular milk.... not really worth it to me :)
    [/quote]
  • operation_cute
    Options
    I don't have issues with sugar as long as it fits within my goals... had cookies tonight :)
    the sugar part is what can do with out
  • jessiebbabii
    jessiebbabii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The BEST almond milk is the vanilla sweetened kind! Literally it tastes like melted vanilla ice cream and it's pretty healthy!!
  • smmorri
    smmorri Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk is pretty good! I didn't like it the first time I tried it though... I think I was expecting it to be different. more like soymilk. After the second glass though, I really enjoyed the taste. And it only has 30 calories per 8 ounce serving.
  • mnb89
    mnb89 Posts: 3
    Options
    Almond Breeze Sweetened Vanilla is the best, as much as I like Silk in my cereal, I can't drink it straight. But Almond Breeze Vanilla is by far the best (Silk has the most fortified nutrients though, if that's what youre looking for.. I think it has like 50% daily B12, which is why I drink it haha)
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I'm the same way. I've tried multiple brands and varieties of both soy and almond milk and I just don't like it. I generally stick with 2% cow milk and only drink 1 cup a day.

On the other hand, I did like regular almond milk with cereal! But I could not drink almond milk by itself, gross.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I don't like it either. Love almond flour for baking though. And coconut milk is worth a try!
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it either. I haven't tried soy milk yet.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yuk not sure why anyone uses commercially produced soy, almond, or coconut "milks". They have nothing nutritionally in common with milk, they have a bunch of fake crap in them, no protein, and no real taste blech...
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

30 calories vs 110 calories.
    I use both almond and cow milk to mix my protein shakes depending on my calorie and macro needs for the day.

EDIT
    110 calories for 2%. Not sure what kind you use, but IMO anything less tastes worse than plain soy or almond milk.
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    I can't drink the Silk brand, it's not very good at all. Almond Breeze isn't bad but Blue Diamond is the best I've tried but you definitely have to make sure you get the sweetened kind. I've grabbed the unsweetened kind before on accident and...no lol it's awful.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My Mum and brother absolutely love it. I nearly vomited, its so gross! We have the Almond Breeze one. But I have officially decided to stick with real milk, I don't even drink it very often, so it can't be that bad! (hopefully)
  • Andrea8985
    Andrea8985 Posts: 107
    Options
    I urge you to experiment with different brands, or make your own. I don't particularly care for Silk almond milk, but I like other brands. When it comes to alternative milks, brand is super important and everyone has a different preference. Making your own is easy and tastes better, and it's much better for putting in coffee.

I can only drink soy milk plain. Not almond milk (unless I make my own). Almond milk is great for cooking and mixing in with things.

Rice milk is horrendous. The ice cream that's made from it is good, but the rice milk itself? HORRENDOUS. It literally tastes like drinking rice. I haven't tried hemp milk, and I only used canned coconut milk for baking.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I hate almond milk. I tried Almond Breeze and Silk and the Aldi brand; hated them all. I wanted less calories for my protein shake and in the end I decided I prefer water. That's right, I find tepid tap water less foul than almond milk when mixed with my protein. I will never understand the hype. Blech.

Now I just use milk because milk is delicious and stressing out over the calories from a glass or two of milk a day is just not my style.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    I don't drink almond milk, because my daughter has nut allergies. But I like Silk Organic unsweetened soy milk. I do not like cows milk though, so that could be why I like soy. With soy milk I noticed even if the brand says "unsweetened" you need to flip it over and check the ingredients. The store brands of organic unsweet soy milk have cane juice in it, which is a type of sweetener... so, maybe you might like a store brand since it may be sweeter? If almond milks are the same that way. I pick the Silk brand because it doesn't have the extra sugar. But that could be something to check into. I have heard that almond breeze is way better when it comes to almond milk though. If you love drinking cow milk plain I don't think you will find an alternative you love right away, as none of them taste anything like cow milk to me at least. But if you need to or really want to you can get used to another milk. But if you have no medical reason to avoid cow milk I'd just stay with the cow milk since you enjoy that. :)
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    never tried that one, but i love the Almond Breeze Unsweetened plain