How do you define a good bikini figure?

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The question was though "how do YOU define..." they gave their definitions. I'd rather see a fit guy in a Speedo...just my opinion
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    gramarye wrote: »
    I would not turn to @diannethegeek and say, "Your body is the wrong shape for a string bikini" because that's my hang up, not an absolute truth.

That's the problem -- treating opinions like facts.

But you just did this in your own statement. It is your "hang up", but it is still an opinion in which you are validated to give in a thread asking for opinions. She did not say "please state facts." Now if those opinions are taken as facts, that would be the fault of the person receiving said opinions.

Since I know @gramarye in person, I can confirm that she has never told me my body is the wrong shape for a string bikini.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I would not turn to @diannethegeek and say, "Your body is the wrong shape for a string bikini" because that's my hang up, not an absolute truth.

But you just did this in your own statement. It is your "hang up", but it is still an opinion in which you are validated to give in a thread asking for opinions. She did not say "please state facts." Now if those opinions are taken as facts, that would be the fault of the person receiving said opinions.

Since I know @gramarye in person, I can confirm that she has never told me my body is the wrong shape for a string bikini.

I think you are confusing the point of my comment. I stated that she is confusing opinion with fact in her own statement. She has opinions that she does not want to give because they are not fact. But the thread is asking for opinions.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    I think it's mostly about confidence. But being fit helps, skin tone makes a big difference too.

what difference does skin tone make, again?

Blotchy, pimply skin is unattractive. Clear skin with an even tone is more attractive. IMO of course.

Oh, thank you for clearing that up. I forgot your opinion on what is attractive vs not was what decided who wears a bikini or not.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Except I didn't. I used @diannethegeek as an example because I know her, and I know for a fact that our bodies are shaped differently. And even if they were the same exact body, I would defer to how SHE feels in said hypothetical bikini, not how I would hypothetically feel in said hypothetical bikini.

I think we're having trouble because I'm talking macro-level cultural problem (it is largely considered a "fact" that only lean bodies are bikini ready, when it is a actually just cultural bias) that is exacerbated by people making blanket statements about what is and isn't an "appropriate" bikini body.

You're discussing micro-level cultural attitudes toward opinions on body issues, which has its own set of problems. If people say, "If you don't find me sexy, you're oppressing me," that is a problem. Attraction is individual and weird. However, I'm willing to bet that none of the tourists you're judging in your original comment cared if you found them attractive/approved of their bikini. They just wanted wear it.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Aren't women supposed to be stick thin except in the boobage and assage area ?

I struggle with this
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly about confidence. But being fit helps, skin tone makes a big difference too.

Blotchy, pimply skin is unattractive. Clear skin with an even tone is more attractive. IMO of course.

@Jams009 My mother has autoimmune problems and a variety of skin allergies which have, unfortunately, left her with scar tissue over most of her body. You would not believe the amount of crap she takes from other sunbathers on a beach, whether she wears a bikini or a one piece. People should not be required or asked to cover their blemishes. We all have them. Every one of us. The sun does my mother's body good and helps to clear some of her issues up. You're suggesting that she (and others) should cover up because others find her unattractive?

Not at all... That's not what I said. What I mean is that from the sounds of it I don't think I would find your mother attractive. I would never make a comment about it or tell her what to do.
  • Jams009
    Options

Oh, thank you for clearing that up. I forgot your opinion on what is attractive vs not was what decided who wears a bikini or not.

When did I say that people I don't find attractive shouldn't wear bikinis?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

When did I say that people I don't find attractive shouldn't wear bikinis?

The OP was asking what was necessary for a bikini body. She specifically used the word necessary. Do you believe that it's necessary to have the things you've described in order to wear a bikini? Because that's how I and others seem to be reading your comments.
  • Jams009
    edited April 2016
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »

Noted.
    I'll be sure to keep my pasty, ghost azz off the beach this summer. ;)

J/K...I'll be out there with my 2 kids that *gasp! I gave birth to, and have the scars and stretch marks to prove it.
    And zero fecks shall be given.
    People need to get off this whole worried about how everyone else looks thing and just live your damn life.

So you should, and I totally agree... I was merely answering OPs question, which was nothing to do with whether people should wear a bikini or not.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    For me they look best when they are slim and trim.. You do not have to have a six pack to impress me but definitely no jelly rolls or muffin tops and thunder thighs.

Also this is just a general public service announcement ... If you have had 6 kids then maybe, just maybe a 2 piece bikini is not for you ... same goes for yoga pants.. not for everyone.

I know some women who have had 6 kids and I am super jealous of them...... I understand what you were trying to say...... but it came out all wrong buddy
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Everyone else said it already....get a bikini...put it on your body...you have a bikini body! Who cares what anyone else thinks anyways, they don't have to live in your body.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    Aren't women supposed to be stick thin except in the boobage and assage area ?

I struggle with this

Because I adore you, I'll let this slide! (Also I know you don't mean it...lol!)
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »

People are allowed to have whatever opinions they want, and people are allowed to criticize/shame said opinions. In my opinion.

vql6nb9eyxwb.gif

Yup, just your opinion. But it say's much about you as a person xo
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    The question was though "how do YOU define..." they gave their definitions. I'd rather see a for guy in a Speedo...just my opinion

Saw my dad in a speedo once....that was enough for me! Shorts rule!
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

Noted.

J/K...I'll be out there with my 2 kids that *gasp! I gave birth to, and have the scars and stretch marks to prove it.
    People need to get off this whole worried about how everyone else looks thing and just live your damn life.

But don't you know, since you gave birth your body is now flawed and unpleasant for others to look at?! /s

You're kidding, right?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

Noted.

But don't you know, since you gave birth your body is now flawed and unpleasant for others to look at?! /s

You're kidding, right?

Graps popcorn... hope i'm not to late.
  • Big_YEET
    Big_YEET Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Noted.

You're kidding, right?

The /s at the end of a post is an indicator of sarcasm.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

Noted.

You're kidding, right?

The /s at the end of a post is an indicator of sarcasm.

Whew! I honestly didn't know that! Thankyou! You're great in my books, then...lol :)