An Open Letter to Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I can't stand greek yogurt. I am scared to try cottage cheese... I want to though, be very helpful with eating protein.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was really grossed out by cottage cheese as a kid and wouldn't touch the stuff. I just discovered how it can be good and dressed up at age 22. I love adding it to my salad.

My favorite version of cottage cheese? Add a savory dressing (I like creamy caesar or a peppercorn ranch that used to be at my work), and Mrs. Dash.

On top of that, pepperoni slices, spinach, tomatoes, peas, ham, literally anything.

I haven't quite worked up the courage to try sweet cottage cheese yet...but I think it could be good with green apple slices.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I didn't know cottage cheese came in different flavors. I guess it's been a while since I've had it, too!

My favorite was always cottage cheese with pineapple though. I might need to get back into that.

Boy, does it ever! I don't think I would have had the courage to get it if I had to get plain stuff. Maybe one day.

Ummm what! What are the flavors? I've never actually gone shopping for cottage cheese, just eat it at the restaurant I work at as my side job. Tell me more about the flavors!! :D
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    I can't stand greek yogurt. I am scared to try cottage cheese... I want to though, be very helpful with eating protein.

I definitely prefer cottage cheese as my main protein at night, but when my store is out of the only brand I'll eat, some Fage 0% greek yogurt is substituted. I can only really eat greek yogurt if I mix stuff into it (like the protein powder or pb2 and some splenda). Otherwise it's wayyyyyyyy too sour for my taste.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I didn't know cottage cheese came in different flavors. I guess it's been a while since I've had it, too!

My favorite was always cottage cheese with pineapple though. I might need to get back into that.

Boy, does it ever! I don't think I would have had the courage to get it if I had to get plain stuff. Maybe one day.

Ummm what! What are the flavors? I've never actually gone shopping for cottage cheese, just eat it at the restaurant I work at as my side job. Tell me more about the flavors!! :D

Yes! When I actually decided I was gonna get some I was like "What? Choices? No way! Should I get chive & onion or garden vegetable?" I went with chive & onion. But they also had a pineapple one and maybe another fruit one plus two or 3 other flavors.
  • Najus1
    Najus1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you when I was a kid. You couldn't pay me enough money to eat cottage cheese or alvocados.

I did find a new level of enjoyment and respect for them both as an adult.

I like to eat my cottage cheese with some unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon or use it as the "mayo" with tuna salad.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I eat it for breakfast, and a lot of times with dinner as well. I'll go through two containers a week most of the time.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    No flavoured stuff here, but my husband introduced me to a good combo: half an avocado filled with cottage cheese and some chilli sauce :)
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite way to eat it is stirred into chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocado with garlic, salt and pepper.

It shouldn't be as delicious as it really is.

Sometimes I throw a little green onion on there, too.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you two made up, I just can't even with cottage cheese. It's the texture for sure.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I didn't touch the thing until a month ago and now I have some every day, lol. Just got to find the right brand... been trying a few, so far Friendship is the best!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I just can't with cottage cheese. I want to like it but I just can't get past the lumpiness.

+1 (Also can't get past the ...milkiness. Shudder. I have been known to leave rooms when my husband eats his cottage cheese.)

• Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Yes! When I actually decided I was gonna get some I was like "What? Choices? No way! Should I get chive & onion or garden vegetable?" I went with chive & onion. But they also had a pineapple one and maybe another fruit one plus two or 3 other flavors.

Wait - are we talking about cottage cheese or cream cheese? I've used those flavors in Philadelphia cream cheese. If it is indeed cottage cheese, however, I'm so jealous!! We don't have anything like that here!
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    I used to eat it as a kid but it seems so salty to me now.

I'm not sure what's in your area, but Friendship brand makes a no salt added - and you can tell it, lol
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Lol! I still haven't reconciled with any kind yogurt but cottage cheese and avocados and I are best buddies now. As a kid, no way! I actually like it plain or with Triscuit crackers.
  • imamyurdumb
    imamyurdumb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with beef pepper stew is amazing
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Pressed cottage cheese that comes in a block is great for people who dislike the slimy lumpiness of the normal type. It's harder to find but has a great crumbly texture and is more versatile for cooking :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    blending does wonders
    cheesecake
    mousse