Some Important food selection tips! (In my opinion)

Options
1. Don't trust the marketing on the front of the label of any of your food!
Turn that package around and read the nutritional value AND ingredients!

"Low fat!" on the front label usually means HIGH SUGAR on the back label!

2. Fruit juices = sugar water. If you drink these too much you're slowly killing yourself. If you're gonna have fruit, eat them, don't juice them.

3. You'll be surprised how many different names there are for sugar (read the ingredients and google some names you don't recognize...it'll most likely be a form of sugar!)

4. Fat isn't the enemy. Good fats (yes, even saturated fats) are needed by the body for brain function, organ health etc. SUGAR is the real enemy and it's EVERYWHERE! Bringing me back to my first tip: Read the nutritional value and stay away from sugar!

I live by these tips and they help me be healthier, lose fat, and still make strength/size gains.

Replies

• rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't my enemy.

I've found that my health and fitness -- and state of mind -- got much better when I decided to stop demonizing certain foods. If I want some fruit juice, I'll have it. There's a way to make that fit in my goals for the day. If I want something else with sugar, I'll have it.

well yeah, it's impossible to stay away from sugar because it's everywhere...It's just that people overdo it. I too sometimes have a soft drink or a fruit juice but almost always opt for a water. The point is not to say never have sugar, but it's to say that you need to be mindful of how much you're consuming because it's terrible for you if you have too much of it and food that we're sold on a daily basis have tons of it but still wear the false label of being "healthy" and "low fat".
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't my enemy.

I've found that my health and fitness -- and state of mind -- got much better when I decided to stop demonizing certain foods. If I want some fruit juice, I'll have it. There's a way to make that fit in my goals for the day. If I want something else with sugar, I'll have it.

This. I continue to eat all the foods I like, including sugary ones, and I've met all my weight loss/health goals. I pay attention to calorie intake and that's about it :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »
    Sugar isn't my enemy.

well yeah, it's impossible to stay away from sugar because it's everywhere...It's just that people overdo it. I too sometimes have a soft drink or a fruit juice but almost always opt for a water. The point is not to say never have sugar, but it's to say that you need to be mindful of how much you're consuming because it's terrible for you if you have too much of it and food that we're sold on a daily basis have tons of it but still wear the false label of being "healthy" and "low fat".

I don't agree that it's particularly hard to avoid consuming too much sugar. I eat mostly whole foods and the packaged stuff I buy (even the low fat stuff, like cottage cheese and plain greek yogurt and lean ground beef) doesn't have any sugar added. The same is true with the other packaged things, like dried pasta and legumes, smoked salmon, olives, oil, so on.

I do like to make sure the added sugar I eat is in a form I will appreciate, like ice cream.

However, I definitely agree that reading labels is a good idea and that trusting in marketing as a substitute for that isn't very smart.
  • rickyll
    Options
    Sugar isn't my enemy.

"Too much" of anything isn't good for you. That's the literal definition of too much.

There is a huge difference between saying "One should understand how much sugar they're consuming and how it may keep them from meeting their nutritional goals" and "sugar is the real enemy."

Sugar isn't the enemy. It's just a tasty substance that, for some of us, may make it easier to over-eat. There's no need to fear it. For some of us there may be a reason to reduce consumption of it or limit it. But I find your language over-the-top.

And if you truly think it's your enemy, then why consume soda or juice even sometimes? Your own actions don't match your language. If what you mean is "Hey, it's easy to over-do sugar so be aware of that," why not just say that?

Oh my...Yes, you're 100% right.

But I like to think of my audience as an intelligent one that will be able to see past the small amount of rhetoric and drama that I add to some of my posts in order to get a point through...so that's why I didn't just say, "hey guys, please try to not eat as much sugar".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't my enemy.

"Too much" of anything isn't good for you. That's the literal definition of too much.

There is a huge difference between saying "One should understand how much sugar they're consuming and how it may keep them from meeting their nutritional goals" and "sugar is the real enemy."

Sugar isn't the enemy. It's just a tasty substance that, for some of us, may make it easier to over-eat. There's no need to fear it. For some of us there may be a reason to reduce consumption of it or limit it. But I find your language over-the-top.

And if you truly think it's your enemy, then why consume soda or juice even sometimes? Your own actions don't match your language. If what you mean is "Hey, it's easy to over-do sugar so be aware of that," why not just say that?

But I like to think of my audience as an intelligent one that will be able to see past the small amount of rhetoric and drama that I add to some of my posts in order to get a point through...so that's why I didn't just say, "hey guys, please try to not eat as much sugar".

So you think of your audience as an intelligent one that somehow didn't already know that eating too much of *anything* isn't a good idea?

In any case, I'm glad we agree that sugar isn't the enemy.
  • rickyll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sugar isn't my enemy.

I don't agree that it's particularly hard to avoid consuming too much sugar. I eat mostly whole foods and the packaged stuff I buy (even the low fat stuff, like cottage cheese and plain greek yogurt and lean ground beef) doesn't have any sugar added. The same is true with the other packaged things, like dried pasta and legumes, smoked salmon, olives, oil, so on.

I do like to make sure the added sugar I eat is in a form I will appreciate, like ice cream.

However, I definitely agree that reading labels is a good idea and that trusting in marketing as a substitute for that isn't very smart.

For many it can be difficult to reduce sugar intake depending on their existing habits but you seem to have it down, lemurcat.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the enemy, either.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't my enemy.

Given the number of posts we see here about people freaking out over the sugar content in fruits or even veggies, I think it might be helpful to take a second look at your audience. There are a lot of very knowledgeable posters here. And there are a lot of posters and lurkers who are just starting off and have fallen into various diet magazine fads. The rhetoric and drama is exactly why we see so many questions about sugar here.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Okay okay...my goodness some people are really finicky about this stuff soooo I'm gonna have some fun with this. I've amended some of the points of my original post:

2. Fruit juices = sugar water. If you're gonna have fruit, eat them, don't juice them... but it's your life and if you want to have some fruit juice, you still can and you shouldn't feel bad about yourself because you know that you make good food choices almost 100% of the time. Treat yourself because remember, you're a winner.

4. Fat isn't the enemy. Good fats (yes, even saturated fats) are needed by the body for brain function, organ health etc. SUGAR is like your shady friend, he's not your enemy but you also wouldn't leave him alone with your valuables. Just keep an eye out for that Sugar scoundrel but still go to the movies and the skate park with him if you want.

I'm a distance runner and I frequently use sugar to fuel up on long runs. Sugar isn't my "shady friend," sugar is sometimes a great ally. I don't want a pork chop or a coconut oil fat bomb on a 12-mile run, I want some dates or a Gu-pack. Sure, sugar can cause me to go over my calorie goals. But so can fat, which you praise in your post (and rightfully so, it's awesome).

So why is sugar being called out as a "shady friend"?
  • rickyll
    Options
    Okay okay...my goodness some people are really finicky about this stuff soooo I'm gonna have some fun with this. I've amended some of the points of my original post:

2. Fruit juices = sugar water. If you're gonna have fruit, eat them, don't juice them... but it's your life and if you want to have some fruit juice, you still can and you shouldn't feel bad about yourself because you know that you make good food choices almost 100% of the time. Treat yourself because remember, you're a winner.

4. Fat isn't the enemy. Good fats (yes, even saturated fats) are needed by the body for brain function, organ health etc. SUGAR is like your shady friend, he's not your enemy but you also wouldn't leave him alone with your valuables. Just keep an eye out for that Sugar scoundrel but still go to the movies and the skate park with him if you want.

I'm a distance runner and I frequently use sugar to fuel up on long runs. Sugar isn't my "shady friend," sugar is sometimes a great ally. I don't want a pork chop or a coconut oil fat bomb on a 12-mile run, I want some dates or a Gu-pack. Sure, sugar can cause me to go over my calorie goals. But so can fat, which you praise in your post (and rightfully so, it's awesome).

Yes. Sugar can be a good ally before a workout for fast energy or after a workout to spike insulin levels and help your body absorb nutrients for recovery...just like your shady friend can be a good ally when going to the movies or having a great night out... but you don't want you shady friend around all the time, specially when you want to study and all he wants to do is smoke a joint!

I agree with everyone on here that my original post is too black and white, when in fact the real issue with sugar is not. And if I casue some people to have a mental breakdown because now they'll avoid sugar like the plague...whoops.

But my amended version I think smooths out the edges quite nicely, don't ya think?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes. Sugar can be a good ally before a workout for fast energy or after a workout to spike insulin levels and help your body absorb nutrients for recovery...just like your shady friend can be a good ally when going to the movies or having a great night out... but you don't want you shady friend around all the time, specially when you want to study and all he wants to do is smoke a joint!

I agree with everyone on here that my original post is too black and white, when in fact the real issue with sugar is not. And if I casue some people to have a mental breakdown because now they'll avoid sugar like the plague...whoops.

But my amended version I think smooths out the edges quite nicely, don't ya think?

I guess after seeing posts from people who are obviously in distress and pain in their confusion about how to lose weight and their thoughts that sugar is somehow an enemy that must be eliminated, I can't be quite so flippant about the impact posts like this can have on people.

• rickyll
    Options

I guess after seeing posts from people who are obviously in distress and pain in their confusion about how to lose weight and their thoughts that sugar is somehow an enemy that must be eliminated, I can't be quite so flippant about the impact posts like this can have on people.

Upon further soul searching, one thing about what you said struck me the most: your comment that my whole over-simplified post could've been put much more efficiently by saying, "too much of anything is bad for you." ....yeah I should've just said that. I mean too much fat is bad, too much protein is bad (oh that poor colon!), heck even too much water is bad!

And while this is most definitely not my style, in the future I could also be a little more considerate of the people that could take my over-simplified words as absolute truth...

Hey this has a happy ending! thanks every one!
  • rickyll
    edited April 2016
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Oh goodness gracious. Don't get bent out of shape when you start a topic as if you have this plethora of knowledge to drop on everyone and it's pretty much the same stuff people have read in diet magazines, in fad diet books, or heard on shows like Dr. Oz.

There's no need for the sarcasm, either. I don't even drink fruit juice, as I don't like it and don't feel it's worth the calories, but I'm not going to tell other people it's going to slowly kill them. That "you're a winner" nonsense is just condescending bs as well. This is part of why people who start losing weight end up binging and failing; unnecessary restriction.

I forsee this topic getting locked in the future and rightfully so. Before it does, here's my advice to people trying to lose weight: Eat what you like in moderation, don't feel guilt for eating a certain type of food, and make sure you maintain a healthy relationship with food. It's exactly why I'm 5'3", 112 pounds, and in the best shape of my life.

I was just having a little fun. Read my last post. I have learned the error of my ways and I had a blast doing it! Thanks for contributing
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Upon further soul searching, one thing about what you said struck me the most: your comment that my whole over-simplified post could've been put much more efficiently by saying, "too much of anything is bad for you." ....yeah I should've just said that. I mean too much fat is bad, too much protein is bad (oh that poor colon!), heck even too much water is bad!

And while this is most definitely not my style, in the future I could also be a little more considerate of the people that could take my over-simplified words as absolute truth...

Hey this has a happy ending! thanks every one!

I appreciate that you're willing to discuss this. One thing to understand about this forum is that it has a very diverse readership. What seems to you like an obvious over-simplification may not appear that way to all readers, especially when it echoes the dietary pseudo-science that is currently very popular in the media (sugar is the enemy, avoid low fat foods, etc). To people who regularly read advice like this, your words may read as if you meant them.