Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @sunnybeaches105 thanks for the way you worded that. People who accept themselves get acceptance from the rest?
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    Being severely overweight or underweight for that matter is unhealthy. We are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it, but all other things being equal, I do have a lower opinion of people who are obviously unhealthy than of people who appeared to be good physical condition. It's a logical reaction.

I don't think we as a species are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. You might be, but I'd think you'd be in a minority, there.

In scientific circles, there is widespread agreement that disgust evolved to motivate the avoidance of contact with disease-causing organisms. But hey, there are some weird fetishes out there, so whatever floats your boat.

If you would be so kind as to cite you references here I would be grateful.

An evolutionary advantage to avoiding people who are overweight actually does not make any sense.

But the good news is that if there is widespread agreement, you will favor me with a nice list of specific scientific references.

I don't think we are repulsed by obesity by evolution. The Greeks tended to like rather heavy (Junoesque) women. Also, in this South African tribe men compete to be the heaviest because "big is beautiful":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2480870/Ethiopian-Bodi-tribe-big-beautiful-men-compete-fattest.html

In Mauritania young girls are force fed because fat women are especially prized:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3429903.stm
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I always wonder why it is ok to shame and disrespect smokers, and not ok to shame parents who make their children fat.

The kids are often set up for health failure for life. Teenage prediabetic's had training and help getting that way for sure.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    I enjoy running. I love putting music on and being out in the fresh air totally in my own world. I have never ran a race and have no desire to do so. Running gets my heart rate up and burns calories. I run in my neighborhood, same distance and same time. Why do I have to beat my time? if I'm a normal weight and I'm running for cardio and stress relief am I suddenly unhealthy or a failure because I'm not getting faster?

people that identify themselves as "runners" usually try to improve their performances. Nothing wrong with a more relaxed approach (who knows, maybe it is even better health wise).
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I always wonder why it is ok to shame and disrespect smokers, and not ok to shame parents who make their children fat.

I personally always wonder why it's "ok" to "shame and disrespect" people, period. It's rude behavior. As many others have said in this thread, a lot of folks could do with a healthy dose of learning to respect other people as human beings, with a good dose of "mind your own business" thrown in.

I think shaming and disrespecting are just variations of a natural human survival emotion. They are there, what is wrong is some of the lengths people will go to express them.
    Imagine a world without it, maybe we would have died out thousands of years ago.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    Being severely overweight or underweight for that matter is unhealthy. We are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it, but all other things being equal, I do have a lower opinion of people who are obviously unhealthy than of people who appeared to be good physical condition. It's a logical reaction.

I don't think we as a species are naturally repulsed by things that are unhealthy. You might be, but I'd think you'd be in a minority, there.

In scientific circles, there is widespread agreement that disgust evolved to motivate the avoidance of contact with disease-causing organisms. But hey, there are some weird fetishes out there, so whatever floats your boat.

If you would be so kind as to cite you references here I would be grateful.

An evolutionary advantage to avoiding people who are overweight actually does not make any sense.

But the good news is that if there is widespread agreement, you will favor me with a nice list of specific scientific references.

I'll save you the burden of a simple google search. http://pdescioli.com/papers/tybur.etal.disgust.PsychRev13.pdf

This article does not speak at all to people's attitude towards overweight people.

Someone else's obesity is not disease causing to me. It may not even be disease causing to them.

As to "my problem", rudeness and arrogance from someone making a very poor argument is the source.