Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My question to those who say people should take responsibility for themselves, is, "what business is it of yours?"
    Why does it matter to you what someone else does or doesn't do? How does it concern you?

Like others have said above, "mind your own business".

Kind of ironic that this is a web site mostly about getting healthier. Try a little compassion for people that have not found this site, or can not make it work for them. Walk a mile in their shoes. Cuz I have been there, done that, lost a lot of weight and have kept it off for over 2 years, thanks to MFP, my fitbit, and a lot of compassionate, helpful people here.

If you pay taxes or insurance it's your busiess. Obesity related illnesses count for over 20% of medical spending in thr US.

So far, in most cases, the obese don't pay highwe insurance premiums or more taxes (over 50% of medical costs are paid by government)

It's coming though. My husband works for a large, global company (based out of the U.S. and has over 100,000 employees). In the last couple years things have changed with our insurance, where it's now mandatory to submit blood work/weight details, in order to not get penalized for health insurance. It's also mandatory that we're screened for smoking.

It started out that if you didn't do this, then you lost HSA deposit incentives (up to $500 per employee/spouse). This year they changed it and if you don't get the blood work done then you actually pay a 'fine' and pay more for your premium. And smokers pay an additional fine on top of that. We've been told that soon there will also be fines for not having good blood work/having high bmi's.

My husband has higher cholesterol and soon we'll be paying more for our insurance because of it. People who have a higher bmi (by the criteria that the insurance company goes by), will also incur fines. And if you're a smoker, then you get hit twice. I don't know if you get triple fines if you fail at all three things (overweight, bad blood work, smoker), but it wouldn't surprise me at all. This applies for spouses of employees as well.

I prefer the Humana Vitality way of doing things, where people are rewarded for doing "healthy" things (such as regular checkups, losing weight if needed, stopping smoking, etc). I receive a 10% discount on my insurance premiums when I hit a certain status with them (i.e. do enough "healthy" things worth a certain number of points).

I've been following this thread just because it's so bizarre to me. I've been overweight most of my life and obese my entire adulthood (except I dropped below into overweight BMI this month - go me!). I remember feeling bad about being "chunky" as a kid. It's not that I wasn't active - I was - rode my bike hours almost every day, but I definitely ate too much and not the best choices of food either. I recall a couple incidences of kids/teens being mean because of my weight, but I never thought being overweight was okay. I definitely agree that making people feel bad about their weight is a *kitten* move. However, I'm not okay with people burying their heads in the sand about the health risks of being overweight and obese, and this is coming from someone who never saw any of those risks realized.

Reward for healthy ot penalty for unhealthy, it's just marketing. Company can make final numbers come out the same either way

True enough, but the psychological impact on the insured is completely different. One would irritate me to no end, and the other makes me feel good. Which do you think is more likely to incite people to improve their health?

Actually I believe studies are varied, but punishment seems to win.

Hmm, I'm going to have to go digging now because I'm genuinely curious as to which has been found more effective. I know my own n=1 experience is that punishment does not encourage me to change, but I'm curious as to whether I fall outside the norm or if it tends to be 50/50.

This one says punishment is more effective:
    https://craigmoscetti.com/2016/01/08/financial-incentives-for-weight-loss-reward-or-punishment-why-it-makes-a-difference/

Some good discussion in this, inconculsive:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-cash-incentives-keep-people-healthy/

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    RobD520 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I don't know what definition of obesity you are using, but we're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm going with the CDC's definition of obesity: "Weight that is higher than what is considered as a healthy weight for a given height is described as overweight or obese. " A weight that is higher than what is healthy would be unhealthy.

Also, the AMA, The World Health Organization, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists each recognize obesity as a disease. A disease is included in the set of things that are unhealthy.

Of course, the line between healthy and unhealthy is uniform for a height regardless of any other factors? That seems very, very arbitrary to me. The BMI definition of obesity is population-statistical. It's uninformative for any individual.

How can it be arbitrary when it's based on statistical analysis? Anyway, quibbling over the diagnostic criteria doesn't change the plain fact that obesity is unhealthy.

For several reasons. One, BMI does not include sufficient variables to adequately be more than an estimation for an individual. Two, BMI does not adequately cover sufficient populations to really develop an all-inclusive model with the variables it does include (i.e. the model doesn't fit well for Asians as an example). It also does not fit the very short or the very tall. Three, how exactly were cut-offs picked? They have some basis in risk analysis, but what level of risk is considered unacceptable is basically arbitrary.

Basing a criterion on its statistical significance using huge data sets is not at all "arbitrary".

Deciding that a 20.1% risk* is unacceptable whereas a 20% risk* is acceptable is arbitrary. There is no standard for when health risk crosses from 'acceptable' to not.

Also, when dealing with global population and physiological diversity, I'd hardly consider the sampling used to generate the BMI model as 'huge'.

*Not actual numbers, used only as an example.

You arbitrarily pull numbers out of the air then pretend those arbitrary numbers somehow refute the actual statistical analysis??

Totally missed the point, didn't you?

Okay Rob, I'll ignore the AMA, CDC, NIH, and WHO since they didn't clear their statistical methods with you first and because they can't guarantee absolute 100% predictably of outcomes based on risk factors.

Which of these organizations compell you to hold overweight people in contempt?

I need direct quotes on this one.

The funny thing is I don't disagree that obesity increases health risks. But that isn't really what's being debated here.

it is though, isn't it? I mean, no one here is arguing that obese people should be shamed, held in contempt, mocked, etc. The argument is about the inherent increased risks of obesity (and in my opinion, is best contrasted with the same person if they were not obese).

Read all the posts for the person towards which my response was directed.

If the argument was about the inherent risks of obesity the argument would be over.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't know what definition of obesity you are using, but we're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm going with the CDC's definition of obesity: "Weight that is higher than what is considered as a healthy weight for a given height is described as overweight or obese. " A weight that is higher than what is healthy would be unhealthy.

Also, the AMA, The World Health Organization, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists each recognize obesity as a disease. A disease is included in the set of things that are unhealthy.

Of course, the line between healthy and unhealthy is uniform for a height regardless of any other factors? That seems very, very arbitrary to me. The BMI definition of obesity is population-statistical. It's uninformative for any individual.

How can it be arbitrary when it's based on statistical analysis? Anyway, quibbling over the diagnostic criteria doesn't change the plain fact that obesity is unhealthy.

For several reasons. One, BMI does not include sufficient variables to adequately be more than an estimation for an individual. Two, BMI does not adequately cover sufficient populations to really develop an all-inclusive model with the variables it does include (i.e. the model doesn't fit well for Asians as an example). It also does not fit the very short or the very tall. Three, how exactly were cut-offs picked? They have some basis in risk analysis, but what level of risk is considered unacceptable is basically arbitrary.

Basing a criterion on its statistical significance using huge data sets is not at all "arbitrary".

Deciding that a 20.1% risk* is unacceptable whereas a 20% risk* is acceptable is arbitrary. There is no standard for when health risk crosses from 'acceptable' to not.

Also, when dealing with global population and physiological diversity, I'd hardly consider the sampling used to generate the BMI model as 'huge'.

You arbitrarily pull numbers out of the air then pretend those arbitrary numbers somehow refute the actual statistical analysis??

Okay Rob, I'll ignore the AMA, CDC, NIH, and WHO since they didn't clear their statistical methods with you first and because they can't guarantee absolute 100% predictably of outcomes based on risk factors.

The funny thing is I don't disagree that obesity increases health risks. But that isn't really what's being debated here.

it is though, isn't it? I mean, no one here is arguing that obese people should be shamed, held in contempt, mocked, etc. The argument is about the inherent increased risks of obesity (and in my opinion, is best contrasted with the same person if they were not obese).

If the argument was about the inherent risks of obesity the argument would be over.

There are plenty of people on this thread downplaying or outright denying that obesity is unhealthy. Heck that's the entire point of "fat acceptance" and "healthy at any size"; they're trying to sugar coat the issue and ignore the elephant in the room.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    What really annoys me about the "insurance should cost more for fast people" and "what happened to personal responsibility?" argument is that insurance is compulsory, with large fines, the level of insurance coverage dictated by the government, and failure to comply now penalizable in the USA by prison.

This is coercion and governmental applied punishment, not personal choice and responsibility.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    0oi3y94up1uw.jpg
    This discussion has been cleaned up a bit because:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines <----Community Guidelines.

We like spirited debate in the community. Please do not resort to debate tactics that violate community guidelines.

Have a terrific Tuesday, folks.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

There are plenty of people on this thread downplaying or outright denying that obesity is unhealthy. Heck that's the entire point of "fat acceptance" and "healthy at any size"; they're trying to sugar coat the issue and ignore the elephant in the room.

I don't believe so. The argument you were responding to was that a cutoff of 25 BMI (or some such) as the line between "healthy" and not is rather arbitrary on an individual basis.

I tend to think that most of the disagreement in this thread is due to people reading things into terms that others don't mean by them. Almost unanimously people have said that denying that obesity is unhealthy is a mistake, and denying that weight loss is a positive goal when one is obese is a bad thing -- those corners of HAES and fat acceptance that say otherwise haven't gotten any support that I've seen.

I don't see the "entire point" of fat acceptance or HAES as saying obesity is not unhealthy. As I (and others) stated above, accepting ourselves while still fat (working on the self-hatred issues) helped us take control and lose weight. And I see a positive element of HAES that even while you are fat you can improve healthfulness by getting out there and getting active. And again, for me, focusing on what I was doing as about "getting fit and being as healthy as I could" was less scary than the idea of trying to lose weight and failing, as I knew I could control what I ate and my exercise choices. And, of course, I also lost weight -- typically focusing on getting fit and healthy will result in weight loss.

Please look up the word "arbitrary", then look at the statistical analysis behind the diagnostic criteria used to diagnose obesity. The criteria is anything but "arbitrary". The fact that it cannot single-handedly predict outcomes with absolute certainty does not make it "arbitrary".

These attempts to spin obesity guidelines as "arbitrary" is another example of the denial you claim isn't happening.

If people truly acknowledge that obesity is unhealthy then accepting their own obesity seems bizarre. If they are trying to lose weight, then they can't accurately say they've accepted being fat. They can't have their cake and eat it too.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I don't believe so. The argument you were responding to was that a cutoff of 25 BMI (or some such) as the line between "healthy" and not is rather arbitrary on an individual basis.

I tend to think that most of the disagreement in this thread is due to people reading things into terms that others don't mean by them. Almost unanimously people have said that denying that obesity is unhealthy is a mistake, and denying that weight loss is a positive goal when one is obese is a bad thing -- those corners of HAES and fat acceptance that say otherwise haven't gotten any support that I've seen.

I don't see the "entire point" of fat acceptance or HAES as saying obesity is not unhealthy. As I (and others) stated above, accepting ourselves while still fat (working on the self-hatred issues) helped us take control and lose weight. And I see a positive element of HAES that even while you are fat you can improve healthfulness by getting out there and getting active. And again, for me, focusing on what I was doing as about "getting fit and being as healthy as I could" was less scary than the idea of trying to lose weight and failing, as I knew I could control what I ate and my exercise choices. And, of course, I also lost weight -- typically focusing on getting fit and healthy will result in weight loss.

Please look up the word "arbitrary", then look at the statistical analysis behind the diagnostic criteria used to diagnose obesity. The criteria is anything but "arbitrary". The fact that it cannot single-handedly predict outcomes with absolute certainty does not make it "arbitrary".

These attempts to "spin" obesity guidelines as arbitrary is another example of the denial you claim isn't happening.

If people truly acknowledge that obesity is unhealthy then accepting their own obesity seems bizarre. If they are trying to lose weight, then they can't accurately say they've accepted being fat. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

For individuals, BMI is arbitrary. BMI is used to assess populations on a large scale. You can't use BMI to determine if an individual is healthy, or even if an individual is overfat.

I have always been a "normal" BMI, but at my highest weight, I had a high enough body fat % to be considered obese. According to your argument, I was healthy. Reality is that, had I not lost weight, I would have stayed at higher risk for obesity-related health problems. On the flip side, there's tall or muscular people who get classified as overweight because BMI goes off height and weight alone, not accounting for fat %. Fat % is a much more accurate way of establishing risk in individuals, but according to your BMI-is-not-arbitrary stance, these lean-but-heavy individuals are unhealthy.

ETA: Definition of arbitrary
    MATHEMATICS
    (of a constant or other quantity) of unspecified value.

The reason people keep calling BMI arbitrary is that while, yes, BMI has specified values, not everyone who falls into those categories actually ARE what the value specifies. A person with a BMI of 25 will not, by other quantifiable standards such as body fat %, be overweight (overfat and therefore unhealthy) every single time.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    Options

These attempts to "spin" obesity guidelines as arbitrary is another example of the denial you claim isn't happening.

For individuals, BMI is arbitrary. BMI is used to assess populations on a large scale. You can't use BMI to determine if an individual is healthy, or even if an individual is overfat.

I have always been a "normal" BMI, but at my highest weight, I had a high enough body fat % to be considered obese. According to your argument, I was healthy. Reality is that, had I not lost weight, I would have stayed at higher risk for obesity-related health problems. On the flip side, there's tall or muscular people who get classified as overweight because BMI goes off height and weight alone, not accounting for fat %. Fat % is a much more accurate way of establishing risk in individuals, but according to your BMI-is-not-arbitrary stance, these lean-but-heavy individuals are unhealthy.

MATHEMATICS

The reason people keep calling BMI arbitrary is that while, yes, BMI has specified values, not everyone who falls into those categories actually ARE what the value specifies. A person with a BMI of 25 will not, by other quantifiable standards such as body fat %, be overweight (overfat and therefore unhealthy) every single time.

Spin spin spin.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

MATHEMATICS

Spin spin spin.

I could have lived in denial about the status of my health by saying I was at a healthy BMI and therefore healthy. Or I could use a tool more applicable for individuals instead of mass population, realize my body fat % was too high, and fix it. Yep, all spin there.

BMI is not the best tool for assessing risk on an individual scale. That does not mean obesity is a good state for people to be in, or that anyone here is encouraging people to be obese. That does not mean that the morbidly obese people trying to throw BMI out the window by claiming they're "big-boned" are in any way justified. It just means BMI is not always going to be an accurate indicator of a person's health or body composition. And there are probably a lot more people out there thinking they're healthy when they're actually at risk, especially if that's compounded with other lifestyle risk factors.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Here is my point by point response to this article.

1. You've obviously never been fat. You are ridiculed in school. You are ridiculed by your family. Main stream media makes fat jokes on a regular basis. People snicker at you when you walk by. YouTube. Is. Brutal. Narcissitic people write flippant articles about FAM while readily admitting that they are not an expert but how "America accepts fat people."
    2. Says who? Have I told you what your "body positivity" should include? Who do you think you are to tell me what MY image of MYself should include?
    3. That's probably true. But at the end of each of our lives we will all die of something. Who are you to tell me what *I* should die from? So somehow, if I die of a cancer that's better than obesity caused Type 2 diabetes? Car wreck better than heart attack? Who died and made you god, so that you can decide that others need to get sick and die of whatever it is that you find acceptable. I don't recall asking for your permission to be overweight or to die.
    4.Since when does accepting myself mean that I expect everyone to be attracted to me? And why did you decide to turn this article into something about yourself and people not finding you attractive? You seem quite narcissistic. I'm not attracted to everyone and I would never expect anyone else to be attracted to me. I'm not "owed" people being attracted to me.
    5. Absolutely it is. And? For the record, there are many, many, many people who are not overweight due to overeating at all. Perhaps you'd like to write an article on how they are not allowed to accept themselves as overweight due to thyroid issues, PCOS, hormonal imbalances, medicines, insulin resistance, cancer,etc, etc. Oh wait, you already did.
    6. FINALLY! I'm so glad I have permission to look down YOUR skinny little nose and judge all of those horrible parents who DARE to have overweight children. Thank goodness Carolyn Hall spoke up and gave us all permission to judge that mama giving her chunky toddler that donut to keep her quiet in the store while she tries to hurriedly shop because she has a sick parent she's got to get home too. Or that dad who doesn't have a CLUE what to do with the 4 year old who won't eat ANYTHING but chicken nuggets and french fries. WHAT???? He doesn't know what to do????? Clearly he forgot to read that manual that said, "What to do When Your Fat Child Will Not Eat Anything But _______"

Finally, the almighty Carolyn Wall has spoken. Thank you. I'll crawl back into my fat little hole now so that you can feel awesome about your skinny little self.

When we were kids our mom would give us grapes or carrots in the store to keep us occupied. At dinner time she didn't drive us to McDonald's and then ask us what we wanted besides chicken nuggets and french fries, she simply said "it's time for dinner" and we ate whatever was being served. She didn't read that non-existant manual either, yet she managed. I did the same with my son and lots of other people do the same with their kids too all while dealing with life's problems in between.

People have a right to voice a negative opinion about a lifestyle which has created an epidemic in our society which we all pay for. People also have a right to voice a negative opinion about parents who destroy their children's health for the sake of convenience. If those opinions hit too close to home, that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Cake...cookies...

STAHP ALREADY!!!

(I assume you've already made a pie reference in one of the posts I haven't read yet.)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

MATHEMATICS

Spin spin spin.

I could have lived in denial about the status of my health by saying I was at a healthy BMI and therefore healthy. Or I could use a tool more applicable for individuals instead of mass population, realize my body fat % was too high, and fix it. Yep, all spin there.

BMI is not the best tool for assessing risk on an individual scale. That does not mean obesity is a good state for people to be in, or that anyone here is encouraging people to be obese. That does not mean that the morbidly obese people trying to throw BMI out the window by claiming they're "big-boned" are in any way justified. It just means BMI is not always going to be an accurate indicator of a person's health or body composition. And there are probably a lot more people out there thinking they're healthy when they're actually at risk, especially if that's compounded with other lifestyle risk factors.

BMI guidelines are just that: Guidelines. No one anywhere claimed BMI guidelines are the sole tool necessary to make a determination about overall health. That's a straw-man argument. None of this makes BMI guidelines "arbitrary".

No, but many insurance companies in the US are talking about using BMI as a way to regulate how much your premiums are (if you're overweight or obese, you'll have higher premiums because you are associated with a higher burden of cost for health care expenses). As can be expected, a lot of people have problems with that.