Cottage Cheese

Options

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have the same response from cottage cheese. Something about it gets my gag reflex after a few bites and I don't usually have any problem eating things that taste iffy.
    me too. I really want to like it, nice protein ect. I have tried it plain, with fruit, someone told me try it with chopped tomato mixed in. i caqnnot get past the texture, makes me a bit ill.
  • OLeoLionessO
    OLeoLionessO Posts: 152
    Options
    Everyone thinks it's gross but I SWEAR BY IT and everyone should try it once. RANCH

Yes...I said it....RANCH!

I use low fat cottage cheese and 1 or 2 tablespoons of my favorite low calorie ranch....or go crazy and add a sh!tload
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My advice, do not get fat free cottage cheese, it's "soupy"

I can't handle liquidly cottage cheese. If it's thick and chunky it's much tastier.
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Add taco seasoning to some cottage cheese and nuke it for 30 seconds, it's amazing : )
  • ironlady10
    ironlady10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes take Quark instead! Much better! Just try one pot and you'll see what I mean! You get it in most supermarkets!
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love c0ottage cheese, very filling. But I prefer the type with pineapple.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Since Breakstone's seems to have embraced the idea that a soupcon of chemicals really adds that je ne sais quois to its cottage cheese, we've recently switched to Daisy which is straight cottage cheese without the guar gum, etc.

I like to slice up a banana in it and add a little cinnamon.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yes take Quark instead! Much better! Just try one pot and you'll see what I mean! You get it in most supermarkets!

Or you can make quark. Heat up some milk, add acid, strain, and voila! Quark/ricotta/paneer. From my blog: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/06/05/quark-is-not-just-a-subatomic-particle/

Quark is not easily available in US supermarkets. It's more of a European thing.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I can only eat the no-salt added kind of cottage cheese. That being said I will either mix it with pineapple or I dice an apple, stick that in the microwave for a minute then mix it with cottage cheese and cinnamon. Yum!!
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had the same response at first. Now I eat it with baked chicken and chilli flakes on and it's fine. I also used to add a little bit of Franks hot wings sauce to make it feel like more of a condiment
  • claireellenhansen
    Options
    I like it with a ton of freshly cracked black pepper on top.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    I mix mine with peanut butter =)
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's all about the brand really. Some brands make me gag, others make me want to swim in a pool of cottage cheese because I love it so, lol. I usually buy Organic Valley 2%; so yummy! I DO NOT recommend going fat free or even 1%...that stuff be nasty. I love a good brand of cottage cheese with apples or peaches on the sweet side of things or with salt+pepper+dill+sliced tomato on the savory side of things. I also love it stirred with fruit into oatmeal-tastes like cheesecake. If you can't get past the texture thing, try blending it in a blender until smooth. That's actually how I acquired my taste for cottage cheese, and now I don't even need to do that anymore- I love it in it's natural curdy state.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Never heard of eating cottage cheese with apples or maple syrup...but it might be worth a try!

I like to eat mine with fresh pineapple or peaches. Grape tomatoes cut in half are good too.
    It is really a summer food for me, which here can mean anytime after March 1st. :wink:

ETA: Canteloupe!!! OMG how could I forget canteloupe!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    *shrug
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. I love it plain, personally.

This.

I eat a ton of it (usually two large containers per week) and the protein is great for the calories, but there are plenty of other options if you don't like it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My favorite things to mix with cottage cheese are chopped cashews and blackberries.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I like the onion and chive kind. I tried the one with pineapple in it and was nearly sick.:sick: I tried the pineapple one again several times (just to see if my taste had changed)... and I still hate it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why try to make it taste better when you could just not eat it? It's not good for you, and you don't like it. Try to find a fruit that you like to take it's place.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat it with parmesean cheese or pepper. Yummy.
  • ntanasiciuk
    ntanasiciuk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i LOVE it in my rice! and if i make Kraft dinner (rarely) i also put it over my potatoes, vegetables like steamed broccoli or cauliflower,... i make some yummy cottage cheese salsa scrambled eggs! mmmm. made some chicken fajitas the other day and used cottage cheese instead of shredded. i have never tried it with fruit.... as much as i love cottage cheese i dont think i could do it.