Going to the gym with a full time job.

Options
Soo I really wanna start getting fit again, I've put on a few lbs since I've started my job which is ok but I'd like to get back to the weight I was before. I'd like to join a gym as I've never done that before, a few years ago I lost about 5 stone just by working out in my house but now I'm on my feet for almost 11 hours, 5 days a week so when I get home all I wanna do is sit down, but I feel like if I go straight from work to the gym then I'll be "forced" to work out, ya know?

How do you people with a full time job manage going to the gym?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    my husband brings a gym bag and he goes to the gym right after work, lists and bicycles for two hours and comes home. he makes sure one of his workouts is on the last day of his work week so he can relax the day after that workout. i usually work out at home - but i also work at home, so no driving time.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You make your priorities and stick with it.

Go whenever you'll show up consistently. Some people must go in the morning, because like you, they just want to go home after work. I hate waking up early, so I prefer to go after work, and drive straight there 4-5 days a week after work.

What about weekends?

I would think that most of us have full time jobs and make it to the gym. Make it part of your routine and lose any excuses that are holding you back.
  • gbebedoll570
    gbebedoll570 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a full time job and two kids! lolz

Before I had my second daughter, I used to go in the morning before work. It was a little awkward showering and getting ready in the locker room. But then you realize, they don't really care what you're doing because they are all too busy dealing with their own insecurities.

Now that I have my second child, and the gym is not that close from my house. I just wake up early and do my 45 minute walk/bike. It's the only way I can get a "me" time...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I go over lunch, but I'm lucky that we have a tiny gym on site.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I go late at night. Last night I went at 10pm.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »

I work full time, 9-11 hours a day, rotating on-call, and a toddler. This still leaves me over 12 hours in most days to throw in a workout. I just have to decide what hour I'm going to do it in. Pretty simple.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Straight to the gym right after work, or changing at work and going straight to a running trail. If I'm tired and I go home, I won't work out.

If I know I have an evening commitment, I'll go during lunch and do sprints/superset a lifting routine to get done faster. I'm salaried, so I don't lose pay if I take a long lunch, and no one fusses at me because I still put my hours in.

I loathe working out in the morning, but if you go early, you're done for the day. You just have to be able to get yourself up and moving.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 50hr work weeks right now and haven't had an issue getting to the gym. I always keep gym clothes in my bag so I can go either before or after work. I also make sure to utilize my off days to get in longer/harder workouts.

I think the key for me was making sure the gym was convenient to get to from both work and home. It's on my way home from work so I'm way more motivated to go then I would be if I had to go out of my way to get there
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My office building has a gym, so I go on my lunch hour every day. I really like doing that because it breaks up the day nicely. It is categorically impossible for me to wake up early.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that most of us have full-time jobs...that is not a special condition.

Put exercise on your schedule like anything else that is a priority...and then go do it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I get up very early and go to the gym before I go to work. I work full time M-F 10+ hours per day and a lot of Saturdays from April through November. 45 minute commute one way. I know I will not go to the gym after work, no other choice.
  • Simply827
    Simply827 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I go in the morning before work. If I worked out afterwards, there's too great a chance that something will come up or I'll just not feel like it.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I work out in my basement, or run a course from home. Change as soon as I get home from work and start. This is important, Change right after you get home and START. For those who go to the gym, go Right After Work and START. Of course you could go before work, change at the gym and go to work.. Did this for a while.
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I take my bag with me to work and go right after work. If I go home first, there's no way I'll go to the gym. I have two kids to boot so I use the kick *kitten* gym child care on the weekends for my son; he LOVES his "gym friends" and I dont have any mommy guilt.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I work "full time plus" (ha!) and have kids, and am a full time student in grad school.

I typically get my workouts in in the morning, prior to heading to work. Otherwise, if it's been a really stressful day, I hit the gym after work too.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I work full-time, do volunteer work, help out with elderly grandmother and belong to a professional women's social group and make it to the gym 5 days a week, the other 2 days, I do mobility/yoga. This schedule forces me to be extremely organized. My training partner works full-time, in the process of getting her doctorate and came in first in her weight class at her first powerlifting meet. It takes work and organization, but it can be done. Though, I will admit upkeep at home has suffered.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. I work FT and I'm a FT grad student, so I rarely make it to the gym. Also, I'm in a rural area, so every time I go to the gym, I spend 1 hr. just to drive there and back... so I need a 2 hr. block of time in order to get a 1 hr. workout. My gym is 24 hours with card access, so maybe you can find something like that. I've gone at times after a long day (so around 3am), but not as much lately. In your case, I suggest a 24 hr. gym and making a schedule since it sounds like your schedule is at least consistent despite being busy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've always done well going to the gym when I am a member of a gym very close to my office so I can go to a class during the day (lunch), go early before work, or if I haven't done either of those go before I leave for home--the best since it's reasonably empty as I tend to work late. (I do non gym things too, but I find this location to be my key to making it easy on myself.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »

Full time job and wife and two kids. I use the gym for lifting only and I do a full body program that is 3x per week at about an hour a pop. I lift on Monday and Wednesday night and I go right after work and then I have another lifting session on Saturday morning.

I get my cycling in either early in the AM or during my lunch hour and on weekends.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Depending on my week I get up early and go in the morning, shower at the gym and straight to work or I go right after work before going home. You just have to figure out what works best for you. If you really want to go you'll make the time.