Mexican Food???!!!!!

Options
So tonight I'm going out to eat to this really amazing Mexican restaurant. It's going to be VERY hard to stay within my calorie limit, so I'm asking for advice,,. I only have about 800 calories left of the day so i KNOW I'm going to go over my limit. Between the chips, salsa, guacamole, and my entree which will probably be enchiladas, I bet I'll hit 1000 calories no matter how little I eat. Do you think I should just totally skip logging my dinner and just try to moderate how much I eat? How do you think I should go about this?? Not only am I asking logging advice but I'm also looking for advice about what to do when you go to restaurants!!!!!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do you go out to eat often or is this a rare thing? If you go often you'll want to be more careful about logging. If it is a rare thing just add what you can or do quick adds and drink some extra water tomorrow (to flush out all the extra sodium you'l have tonight).
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do you go out to eat often or is this a rare thing? If you go often you'll want to be more careful about logging. If it is a rare thing just add what you can or do quick adds and drink some extra water tomorrow (to flush out all the extra sodium you'l have tonight).

We have a tradition of going to a Mexican restaurant every Friday!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think you should just go and enjoy yourself.

I don't eat out all that often, so when I do I just enjoy it. My health, fitness, etc are not predicated on occasionally indulging myself...these things are predicated on what I'm doing most of the time.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Log it in, even if you go over.

I would also suggest that you skip the chips and salsa, those calories aren't really worth it. Ask for the guacamole and sour cream on the side when possible.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Thank you sooooooo much!!!! I'm going to brush this off for sure and not beat myself up about it :smiley:
  • Knight702015
    Knight702015 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So tonight I'm going out to eat to this really amazing Mexican restaurant. It's going to be VERY hard to stay within my calorie limit, so I'm asking for advice,,. I only have about 800 calories left of the day so i KNOW I'm going to go over my limit. Between the chips, salsa, guacamole, and my entree which will probably be enchiladas, I bet I'll hit 1000 calories no matter how little I eat. Do you think I should just totally skip logging my dinner and just try to moderate how much I eat? How do you think I should go about this?? Not only am I asking logging advice but I'm also looking for advice about what to do when you go to restaurants!!!!!!

You may wish to try their Taco Salad. It will probably come out to 400-600 calories. For me-who happens to be a big eater-it is very satisfying. I am offering this IMHO
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Also watch your alcohol, especially with sugary cocktails.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    Options
    Also watch your alcohol, especially with sugary cocktails.

Thankfully I'm no fan of alcohol.... I'm a sweet tea fanatic so I'll switch to water
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    always log, even when you go over. come as close as you can to what you actually ate.

once in a while it can't hurt to treat yourself. me, i might go for a long walk (or before i hurt my knee, an intense exercise bike ride) in advance or after to earn some extra calories. but when i go out to eat, unless we're at disneyland (where we do LOTS of walking), i tend to keep my meals small and often pre-plan what fits in my calorie goal by looking up the restaurant menu nutrition info to see what fits for me.

but like i said, imo a once in a while full meal isn't going to wreck your progress.

• KaleiAlanaSmith
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    If you plan to eat it, why would you not plan to log it? I log everything, to my best guess: nights out, potlucks, birthdays, Thanksgiving...

Know what I figured out when I was losing(I'm maintaining now)? I had a calorie deficit built into my goal already, 3500 cals for the week when I was set to lose 1 lb/week. So even if you add a couple margaritas onto the chips, salsa, Guacamole and enchiladas... You'll still probably only be over by 700 cals from your 800 allowance for dinner. Over the course of the week you still have a deficit of 2800 cals and you would likely still lose weight. Plus if you want to spend the next few days offsetting it by eating 200 less, you know exactly how much you need to adjust for.

People who blow off logging meals like that altogether have a tendency to say "F it, I'm already over, I might as well eat whatever I want the rest of the weekend too" when in actuality logging it puts it all in perspective they its not that bad...

I questioned logging it because I wasn't sure if picking foods that were compararable, but from different restaurants, would be accurate. Also It kinda bums me out seeing me go over so much!!! But I'm gonna log ahead of time so I can see where I stand :) I definitely don't want to be mentally consumed in this "diet" thing I'm doing. Tomorrow is a new day and my progress is still here XD
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    Options
    If you go out every Friday for Mexican food, you need a new strategy. The only person that is going to make you healthy is you and every meal counts.

First, ask for baked chips. I am in Texas and this is an option at many of our Tex-Mex restaurants. Then enjoy a lovely large handful with all the salsa you want. Try the tortilla soup, huge portion and not too many calories. Ask them to put the cheese on the side so you can put in a little at a time and see that actual amount. Or try the fajitas with extra veggies and enjoy those with 1 corn tortilla. If you are set on those enchiladas eat 1/2 and you have the other 1/2 for lunch tomorrow.

You can do this. I wouldn't change all of this at once. Just ask for the baked chips tonight.

And yes, log your food. And be honest with yourself, then you can look back and see how well you did our how you can improve.

I'm also from Texas!!!! :D we go to a hole in the wall Mexican place so unfortunately they don't have baked chips...... However I will take your advice on the soup. They have this amazing Mexican seafood soup and it's going to be way healthier than enchiladas......
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think you should always log everything...if you want to go back and look at your weights and see what you were eating during a certain weight trend your food wouldn't be accurate;)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You should indulge without guilt, but double that calorie estimate, at least. With chips, salsa, and guacamole you'll hit 1k before you tear into those 1k+ enchiladas.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    If you plan to eat it, why would you not plan to log it? I log everything, to my best guess: nights out, potlucks, birthdays, Thanksgiving...

Know what I figured out when I was losing(I'm maintaining now)? I had a calorie deficit built into my goal already, 3500 cals for the week when I was set to lose 1 lb/week. So even if you add a couple margaritas onto the chips, salsa, Guacamole and enchiladas... You'll still probably only be over by 700 cals from your 800 allowance for dinner. Over the course of the week you still have a deficit of 2800 cals and you would likely still lose weight. Plus if you want to spend the next few days offsetting it by eating 200 less, you know exactly how much you need to adjust for.

People who blow off logging meals like that altogether have a tendency to say "F it, I'm already over, I might as well eat whatever I want the rest of the weekend too" when in actuality logging it puts it all in perspective they its not that bad...

I questioned logging it because I wasn't sure if picking foods that were compararable, but from different restaurants, would be accurate. Also It kinda bums me out seeing me go over so much!!! But I'm gonna log ahead of time so I can see where I stand :) I definitely don't want to be mentally consumed in this "diet" thing I'm doing. Tomorrow is a new day and my progress is still here XD

You just have to take your best guess with places like that. One strategy I use, especially when I know I will eat out later in the week is to bank 100-200 cals/day in the days leading up so that I have an extra 500 or so on the weekends.

Also don't be surprised by an increase in the scale due to water retention from the salty chips and stuff. It will be gone in a day or so.

Enjoy, sounds tasty!
  • mejanejaneC
    mejanejaneC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If it's a little hole in the wall place, I would take in a bag of baked Tostitos scoops and ask them if it's cool if you eat them. I would even ask them to put them in a basket. But that is me, I am pushy like that.

Have a fun Mexican food night out.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    You should indulge without guilt, but double that calorie estimate, at least. With chips, salsa, and guacamole you'll hit 1k before you tear into those 1k+ enchiladas.

Also note this is a heads up, not being condescending. I had a nice greasy homemade breakfast sandwich for breakfast and 7 wings and a slice of sicilian for dinner. And some of my son's fries. And I'm going to binge drink about 1k calories of alcohol in a bit. Yolo.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you go out every Friday for Mexican food, you need a new strategy. The only person that is going to make you healthy is you and every meal counts.

First, ask for baked chips. I am in Texas and this is an option at many of our Tex-Mex restaurants. Then enjoy a lovely large handful with all the salsa you want. Try the tortilla soup, huge portion and not too many calories. Ask them to put the cheese on the side so you can put in a little at a time and see that actual amount. Or try the fajitas with extra veggies and enjoy those with 1 corn tortilla. If you are set on those enchiladas eat 1/2 and you have the other 1/2 for lunch tomorrow.

You can do this. I wouldn't change all of this at once. Just ask for the baked chips tonight.

And yes, log your food. And be honest with yourself, then you can look back and see how well you did our how you can improve.

I'm also from Texas!!!! :D we go to a hole in the wall Mexican place so unfortunately they don't have baked chips...... However I will take your advice on the soup. They have this amazing Mexican seafood soup and it's going to be way healthier than enchiladas......

Fellow Texan and lover of Mexican food with a few other options...since you do this every week.

I give myself a chip budget, like 8 chips, and break them into small pieces for salsa delivery.

Chicken fajitas w/corn tortillas and easy on high fat stuff (guac, cheese, sour cream) is good.

If you ask about the enchilada sauces some are better than others. Beef chili sauce, queso sauce, and sour cream sauce are all pretty high fat, but red and green sauces are usually not too bad, especially over shredded chicken, though shredded beef is good too.

And I often order a la carte (no rice and beans that way)...crunchy beef tacos, steak or grilled chicken on soft corn tortillas, or shredded chicken on soft corn tortillas are all good. Even when the restaurant only lists crunchy and soft flour as the two choices for tacos I find most will be happy to give you soft corn tortillas instead of flour.