Issues with family meal-time

Options
13»

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Update: My mum and I have been working together to make the recipes she has been using a bit healthier (more veg, less cheese, etc).

To everyone who suggested that I move out, that's not really possible at the moment. Here in Australia, 20 is a perfectly reasonable age to still be living at home. I work part time, I study full time, I can't afford to move out right now. While I would like to (to experience living alone, to be closer to uni, independence), it just isn't an option, and I don't appreciate being told (quite rudely too) to do this, especially when it is not relevant to my original post.

Thank you everyone who gave some ideas of how to deal with this. I realise that ultimately, I am responsible for what I eat, and I am working on having smaller dinners and guesstimating as accurately as possible. I know that my mum just wants the best for me, so I'm working harder to show her that I do actually appreciate the effort she goes to to cook good food for the family.

It annoyed me when they said those things, too. Like what's been said, it's generational. A lot of people of our generation (and in certain countries) really can't afford to be moving out yet because house prices and rent prices have sky-rocketed. I'm at uni during term time and I do rent a place in that city (with my student loan (UK)) and live at home during summer break. My sister is 22 and lives at home because she can't afford to move out - she does pay our dad rent though. She has a full time job, and still can't afford to move out because it's minimum wage. She can't find a better job because our area has none - it's all fields and retired people. Luckily we don't have your problems, OP, because our dad has left all our meals up to us since I was 15! Happy to hear that you're working towards a solution with your mum :)