What to eat to cope with incredible hunger?

Options
Hello.
On the days like today (not too often), I'm extremely hungry. I can eat non stop and still be hungry. Any suggestions how to curb it? I cannot eat most fruits and vegetables due to salicylates allergy. Basically, I'm allowed to eat celery, bananas and cabbage. Please, help!

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Protein is the most satiating... better without refined carbs like bread, rice and pasta.. it's quite hard generally to overeat on protein as it fills you up very well. Eat it with some good added fat (mayo, butter or similar) as fat is also very satisfying. Drinking more fluid does help fill you up.. if you cant stand water I find several hot cups of tea in a row help to reduce appetite1
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt works for me.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Perhaps these: sweet potatoes, rice, peas, corn, pasta, bread, bagels.
    Also, meat, chicken, tuna, salmon, eggs, milk, cheese (with no food coloring added), butter, cashews, pecans.
    Consider increasing fats and oils.
  • wortn
    wortn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is might be my wake up call to increase proteins. I'm trying to loose weight and stay on 1580 calories per day.
  • wortn
    wortn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    eileen0515 wrote: »

I tried plain yogurt with xylitol but it didn't do the trick.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Nuts or unsweetened nut butters? Since you can eat bananas, what about bananas dipped in unsweetened peanut or almond butter?
  • BelleCakes2018
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well I am on a low carb diet, so I eat what they would call a moderate amount of protein, but since sticking to just protein without any carbohydrates with it, I have noticed my hunger decrease dramatically.. I could eat a HUGE plate of pasta and be hungry an hour later.. It just doesn't happen to me with this.
    I can't see any reason why you couldn't up your protein more and stay within your calorie amounts very easily :)
    If all else fails.. make lots and lots of sugar free jelly (jello) okay - not amazingly filling but its something to eat when you need to without the calories going up and up!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Drink water before, after, and during meals to fill up quicker.

This is a pain but it does work for me. You get used to it, sort of! It's not the same as satiety from lots of food, but when I drink this much water I am less interested in eating.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    wortn wrote: »
    eileen0515 wrote: »

I tried plain yogurt with xylitol but it didn't do the trick.

Eat the yogurt with a mashed banana or cashew butter or regular sugar (you only need a little sugar).

• __butterfly
    __butterfly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Protein powder banana smoothie. Also hot tea always calms my cravings.
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is might be my wake up call to increase proteins. I'm trying to loose weight and stay on 1580 calories per day.

1580 is my maintenance :neutral:
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    BellaNor wrote: »
    This might seem like a strange suggestion but it works everytime. Sleep. Take a nap. When I am sleep deprived I become an eating machine.

I used to sleep often too when I couldn't control my hunger.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me on hungry days ((assuming it's PMS related) is to avoid all kinds of refined sugars and flour, especially earlier in the day. Whole grains are fine though (and beans, if you can eat those?).
  • KimOrley
    KimOrley Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of drinking more water too. Since I started ensuring I get my 2 litres throughout the day I'm much less hungry. It's a fact that we often mistake thirst for hunger and I definitely realise now that I've been dehydrated for a long time.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    OP - what is your targeted daily protein macro?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options

I'd like to see how much protein and fiber you eat. Would you please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings and have one of the nutrients tracked be Fiber?

See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

Also, where are you in your menstrual cycle? When my appetite spikes up premenstrually, I honor it and eat at maintenance for a few days.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I have found that neither carbs nor protein on their own keep me full. I need fat to stay full. Avocado helps me to feel full. I usually either dip vegetables in it or put it on toast for a filling snack.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories available, I find eating a whole avocado fills me up for hours.