Juice Fast

Options
2»

Replies

• tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    These always crack me up. Why in the world would one think actual real natural food, like freshly made juice, is something to run away from? Is only juice something one should live on forever? Well, no. Does it hurt to go all juice or fruit for a couple of days? No, of course not.

OP, I haven't done a juice fast, so I can't help you - I dropped in to see what helpful info your question might have elicited.
    Peach pits and bitter almonds are actual real natural food, but if you sit around eating them all the time you'll die from the cyanide.

It's important for people to note that just because something comes straight from a whole food, it doesn't mean that it is what the body will be healthy consuming. Juice is fiberless and is mostly sugar with a few vitamins. It is definitely healthier than drinking soda but expecting it to meet all of your nutritional needs doesn't really make sense to me.

You're right though that just drinking juice for a couple days is unlikely to do harm, but in the long-term it almost certainly will and like ninerbuff pointed out, it isn't really "cleansing" anything.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Interesting I said response from those who have good things to say I guess some ppl just cant read......

Well, you did bump you're own thread within 8 minutes of posting it so it appeared you were desperate for advice....they were just offering some. I doubt reading ability has anything to do with it. Juice fasts aren't generally the most popular thing in the forum. You might check out the "groups" section. There's bound to be at least a couple groups that will give you some ideas.

As popular as Dr Oz juicing a juicer.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Last summer I did a juice fast for about 7-10 days. Was it worth it? meh. It was really expensive & not necessarily budget-friendly. I have found that eating/chomping is more satisfying & filling, since the fiber is not flushed out.
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been incorporating more juice into my diet as of late. My goal is to work my way up to a juicing fast. There are several juicing groups on fb as well that are great with tons of info, try there.
  • SophieB99
    SophieB99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 day juice fast in Feb and really enjoyed it! Its a good way to pack in a lot of nutrients and wean yourself off of processed foods (which is pretty much what I lived off of before). It also helps shrink your stomach so when you do start eating regularly again portion control is much easier. I did it a little differently though, I still allowed myself to eat whole fruits and veggies (so I still got in some of the fiber) and I would occasionally make smoothies too. I tried to do about 80% veggies/%20 fruit.

I know there are a lot of haters on here, and I agree that it shouldn't be something that's done long term, but it can be really healthy too depending on how you do it. I still add/replace a meal with a juice here and there to get some extra nutrition. Plus I think they taste great too. :)

Feel free to add me if you want or if you have any questions about my experience :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I lost 104 pounds eating food.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just watched 'Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead' this weekend too and found it really interesting.

Ignore those pooh poohing it - they don't seem to get that it is encouraging VEGETABLE juice, NOT fruit juice.

Today I have started adding green & red juices as a supplement to my usual diet as there is no way in hell I would manage to consume that much kale, silverbeet, spinach, carrots, broccoli, beetroot, celery,cucumber or citrus otherwise.

We all know that in an ideal world, I would eat the vegetables whole - but I don't enjoy the taste or texture and don't have the time or inclination to find new and interesting ways to prepare them.

My husband was happy having a green juice this morning - which I think is great because it contained more vegetable matter than he has probably consumed in the past month!

This is the quickest, easiest way for me to get green, leafy vegetables into my daily intake.

It also got me down to the local markets for the first time, which I really enjoyed.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This is the quickest, easiest way for me to get green, leafy vegetables into my daily intake.

You got the water and sugars out of green leafy vegetables in your daily intake. A lot of the value of eating vegetables is in the fiber they provide which you threw away. Unless you have a juicer that has no waste to toss out you didn't get the value of the food you put in.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't do total juice fats, but I love my juicer! Especially after holidays or road trips, when my gut feels heavy from poor food choices-I'll replace my lunch with something from my juicer for a few days.

And I will use the juicer to get in some extra fruits and veggies from time to time.

Plus, my juicer grinds meat, puréed food, and makes that "banana ice cream",

I guess this makes me either an idiot,or trying to sell you something.

There is a lot of angry people in this world I guess, what happened to people being nice . Thanks for this advice. I have done a lot of research and doing it this way is a good thing for sure.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't do total juice fats, but I love my juicer! Especially after holidays or road trips, when my gut feels heavy from poor food choices-I'll replace my lunch with something from my juicer for a few days.

And I will use the juicer to get in some extra fruits and veggies from time to time.

Plus, my juicer grinds meat, puréed food, and makes that "banana ice cream",

I guess this makes me either an idiot,or trying to sell you something.

There is a lot of angry people in this world I guess, what happened to people being nice . Thanks for this advice. I have done a lot of research and doing it this way is a good thing for sure.
    I didn't see anyone angry in this thread - oh wait... you. I see a lot of nice people who offered helpful advice even though they did not agree with you. So disrespectful. You don't seem mature enough to handle a simple discussion on the pros and cons of it so for someone like you I would definitely say it's a bad idea.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Here is a pretty unbiased read on it.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/juicing-for-weight-loss/
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind when Joe Cross did it he was under Dr supervision quite frequently. If you plan to do it long term I would suggest making sure your Dr is aware of it. The most I have ever done a "juice fast" was for 3 days and I do it like...3-4 times a year maybe. Sometimes I get back on processed foods and it helps me kick the processed foods and has nothing to do with weight loss. I know on the 3 day plan Joe Cross has you actually eat dinner but it is all veggies. I also know I would never go more than 3 days just juicing.