Kidding Ourselves

Options
13»

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,763 Member
    Options
    I never input my work outs because I don't want calories added back into my daily allotment. I figure workouts are "extra" help or icing on the cake, haha.

And if I get too hungry doing that, I end up binging on said icing. :p

• filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I ran ~5.8 miles today in 47 mins. Says I burned 820 calories for my weight. It's probably pretty accurate. I could easily do that 6 days a week with no real leg fatigue.
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is one of those topics that can quickly turn into a train wreck because calorie expenditures vary from individual to individual, and no one knows what they're burning until they've put in the work over time (while carefully tracking) to get a general view of their own NEAT and exercise energy expenditures, and/or TDEE. In other words, it's difficult to make accurate generalizations.

Exactly

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    The easy way to not kid yourself: Don't eat back your calories. I know exactly what my intake goal is every day. I eat that much and no more. Some days I'm active, some days not. I still lose either way.

Everything you do involving calorie counting is inexact. If you want to lose, you're better off being inexact by NOT eating than inexact by eating.

MFP is great for estimating intake. It's truly terrible at estimating calories burnt.

This is not great advice for someone who is following MFP's suggestions, particulary if they are very active.

I did 1 1/2 hours of running on Friday (with hill repeats), 1 1/2 hours of cycling and a 30 minute run on Saturday, and a 2 hour ride on Sunday (I was supposed to swim too but didn't get to). That's close to or over 1000 calories a day in exercise for 3 days in a row. My days through the week are lighter. I could use TDEE but I prefer to have the extra calories on certain days. But TDEE includes activity so you are still technically eating back exercise calories.
    If I followed MFP's calorie recommendation and didn't account for exercise, I'd be eating 1330 calories. That is a massive deficit that would lead to me crashing and burning.

MFP isn't truly terrible. Some entries are more reliable than others. I lost weight initially using only MFP's calorie estimates. A good explanation of this-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041

There are cases where "don't eat back exercise calories" would be fine, but it certainly doesnt apply to everyone.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get flamed for this but exercise is also not an excuse to eat anything you want. By all means, consume back some the calories burned in the form of lean proteins and maybe allow yourself some minor indulgences... but last time I checked a bowl of ice cream, cake and a bag of chips are neither lean nor considered proteins.

You just can't outrun a bad diet!

You don't gain weight because you ate ice cream, you gain weight because you ate too many calories. As long as you're hitting your minimum nutritional needs and getting sufficient essential fats and protein, what else you fill the rest of the calories with is irrelevant. You don't get any bonus points for eating a surplus of lean protein.

And, in fact, that "junk food" can be exactly the right kind of food to bring along on activities like hiking. On a hike, since you're carrying all your food around, you need high calories per weight ratio (i.e. higher fat), and since you're burning calories at a moderate rate for a long time, you want to have the immediate energy of higher carb, particularly higher sugar, to refuel your muscles as you go. The food also needs to be palatable (exercise often reduces appetite) and not too filling (because you need to eat a whole lot of extra calories if you're hiking for 8+ hours). High sodium is a plus, too, because you want to replenish what you lose in sweat, and to balance out all the water you consume; hyponatremia is a real risk in endurance events.

A lot of junk food fits the bill perfectly - high fat, high carb, high energy density, high palatability, high sodium, low satiety. Granted I wouldn't bring along a cake or ice cream for logistical reasons (I might try freeze-dried ice cream some time). I would have either when I returned from a hike, though, to replenish glycogen afterwards.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    i read an interesting article that some people far overestimate the calories they burn, so they end up consuming more than they think they are. It has a negative effect on weight loss in the end. I never input my work outs because I don't want calories added back into my daily allotment. I figure workouts are "extra" help or icing on the cake, haha.

Don't you have to eat your macros back? I mean look at your protein before and after exercises it goes up meaning it needs to be replenished

Some people choose to ignore exercise calories all together. For some it's because exercise is minimal or they have modest weekly goals, others who may not understand how MFP works, and still others who think that all weight loss is 100% fat loss & that faster weight loss is a good thing.

But, yeah I get your point. There is no blanket one-size fits all. The @lauragreenbaum148 post wasn't good advice really. I wouldn't want fast weight loss at the expense of lean muscle mass.

Not necessarily. If @lauragreebaum148 uses a different calculator instead of the artificially low MFP value, she may be getting enough calories. According to MFP I should eat 1400 cals/day with exercise. The Scooby method instructs me to eat 1941 cals/day (net) for the same effect but I wouldn't "eat back" my calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    i read an interesting article that some people far overestimate the calories they burn, so they end up consuming more than they think they are. It has a negative effect on weight loss in the end. I never input my work outs because I don't want calories added back into my daily allotment. I figure workouts are "extra" help or icing on the cake, haha.

Don't you have to eat your macros back? I mean look at your protein before and after exercises it goes up meaning it needs to be replenished

Some people choose to ignore exercise calories all together. For some it's because exercise is minimal or they have modest weekly goals, others who may not understand how MFP works, and still others who think that all weight loss is 100% fat loss & that faster weight loss is a good thing.

But, yeah I get your point. There is no blanket one-size fits all. The @lauragreenbaum148 post wasn't good advice really. I wouldn't want fast weight loss at the expense of lean muscle mass.

Not necessarily. If @lauragreebaum148 uses a different calculator instead of the artificially low MFP value, she may be getting enough calories. According to MFP I should eat 1400 cals/day with exercise. The Scooby method instructs me to eat 1941 cals/day (net) for the same effect but I wouldn't "eat back" my calories.

But that's different than just saying "don't eat exercise calories".

With TDEE, you DO eat exercise calories, they are just figured in your calorie allotment ahead of time.
    And since we are using MFP, many people here would be following their calorie estimates.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    I can burn 1000+ calories in one day ... but I'm a long distance cyclist. A 4+ hour bicycle ride will burn that much. :)

But if I'm just walking 5 km on a rest day, I'm not burning anywhere near 1000 calories.

And yes, I do eat back most of my exercise calories. There's no way I'd want to do a 4+ hour bicycle ride and not consume some fuel along the way!!
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm someone who does calculate their daily walking, however I will say that I have never seen results that look far fetched (for example, 131 calories for 30 minutes mod pace walking). I do however walk for an hour every day (usually close to 10,000 steps) and often my pace is faster for half of this when I'm late for my train! I only bump it up to 3.5 pace on these days though. I don't count any exercise I do when at work, which is a lot of up and down stairs, so I feel that I'd MFP does over estimate it, my stair climbs I don't log make up for it.

I work out using a steep stair climber for 30 minutes every other day on top of this, however I usually input that I only did 20 minutes unless I pushed myself particularly hard. Being someone on the short side, I don't feel that 30 minutes burning over 300 calories is accurate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that one of the benefits of fitness trackers is that it takes out some of the confusion about "activity level" and TDEE. You don't have to guess as much about casual activity, since the tracker is doing that.

I decided to get an HRM/Tracker Combo (Polar V800), so that's my only "hands on" experience, but mine gives a breakdown of BMR, Activity, and Workout calories each day. For the most part, I only need to be concerned with measuring intake, so the TDEE method works perfectly.

Interestingly, I have found that, at least for me and my work/activity patterns, my daily calorie expenditure doesn't vary all that much. Activity and workouts often balance out. The days where I burn a ton of workout calories are my days off, so my general activities are down because I'm not walking around, training, etc. On my 12-HR shift days, workout calories are small or none, but activity calories can be 50%-70% of BMR, so that makes up for it. So, for the most part, I really don't have to be concerned about eating back any exercise calories

It has been an interesting study in my lifestyle movement patterns. The tracker almost certainly overestimates activity calories, --probably by a good 10%-15%) but the pattern is consistent. So, over time, you learn by trial and error how to compensate.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This is why I prefer using my Fitbit, instead of estimating my burned calories. I know the Fitbit is not totally accurate, but it has been studied and seems to be pretty close. Otherwise, I take half of what MFP gives me, or what the elliptical says, and use that number. I am always baffled when people use cleaning or other house hold work towards their exercise calories, though. I don't get it.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My calorie burn comes straight from my Fitbit. I am heavier though, so I'm going to burn more calories with less effort. There are days when I do burn 1000+ calories from cardio, however that's generally not all at once. It's a combination of my morning, midday and evening cardio. When my cardio calories get up that high, I generally do not eat them back. Some time MFP yells at me, some times it doesn't.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I also feel that apple's devices are pretty accurate, at least for step counting and GPS. I've had more consistent results with an iPhone than with FitBit. My wife tried a fitbit and we compared the two, the fitbit failed constantly, and was easy to cheat. I never found a good way to cheat the iPhone' step counter. However, I would not trust any sensor on my wrist for heart rate. Get a strap, it's so much more accurate. Pair it with your iPhone and your own calorie burns will start to get more accurate.

I compared my Fitbit HR with my Polar strap and they were both pretty close. That's the only reason why I am willing to rely on my Fitbit alone for hardcore cardio.