Not eating after 3pm..

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Meal timing has no effect on weight loss, other than it may help you (or make it harder) to stick with your calorie deficit (which is what creates weight loss). I hope that protein shake is in addition to your food, and more than 300 calories, or else you are undereating; or underestimating intake (also not good, but better than undereating). You can also eat anything you want to lose weight, as long as have a sustained calorie deficit. A large deficit is difficult to sustain and is not healthy; you will be hungry and prone to cheating, and you will lose muscle mass as well as fat.

This.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I would agree that you need to eat more. Fuel your body and your workouts. Add strength training. This is about being a healthier, fitter version of you, so keep your plan one that you can sustain for life. 1200 calories is not sustainable for me, much less an active male.

Remember that it's not a race!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Unsustainable and likely to REGAIN weight once you up your calories.
    Restricting your body to extreme IS NOT a smart way to lose weight. Your body will react by dropping your metabolic rate to a crawl within a few weeks.

1% of body weight for loss a week is fine. Use MFP correctly and you'll lose weight fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    This is recipe for disaster. There's no reason to eat so little. A lot of nutritionists actually suggest losing at as high of a deficit as possible and testing your limits in order to have continued success. Especially if you are working out, you should be eating more. Your body needs food to fuel itself and so that you have prolonged energy instead of feeling drained all the time. Have you considered incorporating lifting into your work out routine? Building muscles helps burn more calories overall and throughout the day.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    amfmmama wrote: »
    why... I just don't get the no eating after 3 pm... I have never heard of that.

@amfmmama it is a form of IF or Intermittent Fasting. Timing can be a huge factor to enhance weight loss for most all that try it.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    On that few calories you are probably losing way too much muscle mass. I am a 150lb, 5'7" female and when I am losing I do so on 1800cal/day. Keep your muscle! Calculate your projected loss at 1lb/week and eat what the app tells you to. Log acurately, and adjust every two weeks if needed. I like to do some form of IF as well for the same reason, it keeps my calories in check. But I still eat enough to fuel my body. Don't crash and burn. Do this the smart way.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

@amfmmama it is a form of IF or Intermittent Fasting. Timing can be a huge factor to enhance weight loss for most all that try it.

IF is a form of calorie counting...timing has no impact on the actual weight loss. Not saying it's not an impact on the person mentally/emotionally but that's it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    snikok wrote: »
    Guys, i'm 96kg 183cm 26yo male, trying to loose some weight and i use the folowing technics:

i eat 5 times a day, but my last meal is at 3pm.. and then i just shut my mouth till the next day. I consume small portions of nutritous food from 7.30 till 3pm (around 1200 calories a day). I also try to do cardio three to six days a week, that helps me burn another 400-500 calories per workout. After the workout i drink a protein shake (at 6.30pm). So far i'm lossing 1.5kg per week. I'm on my third week right now.

What do u guys think about that kind of diet?

Converting from metric for others who are interested:

26 yo male
    212 pounds
    6' tall
    Losing 3.3 pounds per week.
  • SezxyStef
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! i will change my diet today :D

Glad to hear that! 3.3 pounds per week is way too much for someone your size to lose. You are losing muscle as well as fat with that rate of loss. What's your goal weight?

Me too...my son is a bit taller and a bit younger and at first he was losing fast like that but it was expected...he has slowed to 1lb a week now that he is sub 200lbs...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I'm a 48 year old woman and I eat almost twice as much as you do, and I lose weight. 1200 is way too low for most women, certainly for men.
  • snikok
    snikok Posts: 15 Member

Glad to hear that! 3.3 pounds per week is way too much for someone your size to lose. You are losing muscle as well as fat with that rate of loss. What's your goal weight?

80-85kg
  • GaleHawkins
    SezxyStef wrote: »

IF is a form of calorie counting...timing has no impact on the actual weight loss. Not saying it's not an impact on the person mentally/emotionally but that's it.

Do you not understand you are medically wrong on both points?

IF is done to lower Insulin levels to permit the burning of stored fat and increase one's metabolism so that is why the timing of not eating is critical. Typically IF days are low calorie days but that is not a requirement always.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Guys, i'm 96kg 183cm 26yo male, trying to loose some weight and i use the folowing technics:

i eat 5 times a day,

If you like eating 5 times a day by all means continue, but how often you eat has not direct connection to losing weight. It will not make it fast or slower. You can eat as many or as few meals as you desire as long as you stick to your calorie goal.
    but my last meal is at 3pm.

Just like meal frequency, meal timing makes no difference to weight loss. You could eat all the way to when you go to bed as long as you stick to your calorie goal. You don't need to stop eating at 3pm unless for some reason that helps you stick to your calorie goal.
    I consume . . . (around 1200 calories a day). I also try to do cardio three to six days a week, that helps me burn another 400-500 calories per workout.

This is far too little for someone who is your age, height, and weight. You should be eating far more. I am only 178cm, 100Kg and 49 years old. I work out far less than you and I lose about 1kg a week give or take at around 2100 calories a day. You can eat and should eat a LOT more. For that matter you are likely not meeting your nutritional requirements. That means even though you don't see it now, if you continue this for a long time you will start to have the results of your malnutrition show up with hair loss, brittle nails, and other symptoms.
    So far i'm lossing 1.5kg per week

1.5 Kg is far more per week than you should be losing. 2 pounds a week, or roughly 1 kilo per week is considered a very aggressive weight loss goal for people who have more than 80 pounds to lose. At your weight you should likely have a goal of more like half a kilo a week. You may say, what difference does it make? The difference is that losing so quickly means you will be losing a lot of muscle with that fat. That means not only will you not look better, only becoming a smaller version of what you look like now, but you will also be far more likely to put on weight again once you stop eating at a deficit. I understand the desire for fast weight loss, but realize your goal, unless you are trying to make weight for some sort of competition, is fat loss. So you want to maximize fat loss and minimize lean loss. Going fast does not, and will not do this. Slow it down and do it right.
  • nksleiman
    nksleiman Posts: 1 Member
    You also need to think of it as more of a lifestyle. The weight will come off regardless, maybe not as fast as you'd like to, but you'll need to monitor your diet even after you get to your goal weight. The trick is finding something sustainable, not something tricky that gets the pounds off faster. Play the long game
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

80-85kg

So 176 pounds for your lowest goal weight subtracted from current weight of 212 pounds is 36 pounds - in order to help retain muscle mass, you shouldn't lose more than one pound per week.
  • GaleHawkins

IF is done to lower Insulin levels to permit the burning of stored fat and increase one's metabolism so that is why the timing of not eating is critical. Typically IF days are low calorie days but that is not a requirement always.

IF is done by choice by some as they prefer it that way but to say I am medically wrong....yah okay...*note sarcasm*

Based on what I have read There’s no evidence that intermittent fasting will change your insulin levels enough to affect your body composition. IE burn fat

Evidence shows that meal timing is not important

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

The timing issue is the number of hours without eating. If one stops eating at 3PM and did not eat again until 7 am
    that would be an 8/16 IF fast. If the last eating was at 7 pm vs 3 pm it would just be a 12/12 fast would most likely not lower Insulin enough to help much with weight loss but naturally straight CICO would still be in play.

Meal timing I agree will not be the same issue if not doing IF. IF does work when it is worked but it is not the only way to lose pounds we all understand.
  • SezxyStef

IF is done by choice by some as they prefer it that way but to say I am medically wrong....yah okay...*note sarcasm*

Based on what I have read There’s no evidence that intermittent fasting will change your insulin levels enough to affect your body composition. IE burn fat

Evidence shows that meal timing is not important

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

The timing issue is the number of hours without eating. If one stops eating at 3PM and did not eat again until 7 am
    that would be an 8/16 IF fast. If the last eating was at 7 pm vs 3 pm it would just be a 12/12 fast would most likely not lower Insulin enough to help much with weight loss but naturally straight CICO would still be in play.

Meal timing I agree will not be the same issue if not doing IF. IF does work when it is worked but it is not the only way to lose pounds we all understand.

IF is just a way to keep calories under TDEE that the person feels comfortable with...