Just got a food shock...

Options

Replies

• GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do manufacturers have to be accurate with the calories per weight unit? Is it just the portion size that can be off???
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,034 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In the U.S. it is allowable by law to be off in your nutrition labels by up to 20%. Could be high or low. Grams never lie, but any recipe can be off. Not only that, each piece of pizza will have slightly differing amounts of toppings.

Really, packaged food is a crapshoot.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    joobey wrote: »
    Was that pizza intended to be two servings? That's what it sounds like. Packaged food can be off by a margin of 10% or so, but I've never found one off by 50%. They wouldn't stay in business long with that error-factor!

Regardless, it's good to weigh everything, especially butter and cream cheese. Sometimes I'll guesstimate on plain raw veggies, but never on oils and fats. The tiniest amount is a lot of calories.

Why not just measure butter or cream cheese? I always measure out a tsp of butter.

Weighing is much more accurate.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything, and was irritated that my sweet gerkins (sweet tiny pickles) were supposed to be 30 calories for 28g, then says "approximately 3 pickles". 1 pickle was 28 grams. I would have tripled my calories if I didn't have a scale and just used the label. I can't imagine if that happened with several foods all day long!

Keep at it, for sure!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep I don't trust packaged foods one bit.

The biggest shocks for me were 'waffle waffle' waffles (man I love those things, but those 2 servings per waffles were more like 3 so a waffle was like 380 calories, although they've changed the composition since so it's 'only' 280 calories now) and Graze flapjacks. That 220 calories package often turned up 290 or something. Ugh.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post!!!

This is an awesome post!
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be depressing , but at least you can see why everyone says weigh everything.
    All these little discrepancies add up and bang your deficit is gone, leaving you frustrated when looking at that scale number not moving.
    I have been weighing for ages but I still can't eyeball a correct serving of butter, cheese, Mayo or hummus.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    In the U.S. it is allowable by law to be off in your nutrition labels by up to 20%. Could be high or low. Grams never lie, but any recipe can be off. Not only that, each piece of pizza will have slightly differing amounts of toppings.

And in some cases you have to wonder if it is intentionally listed as 20% less than actual. 10 tortilla chips = X calories...um, no, weigh it and it is more like 8 chips = X calories.

With the public health consequences you might think nutrition labeling would be better. We might be better off if they just abandoned "servings" and listed the total calories for the entire package and the nutrition info per 100 grams or something.

I'm not saying a pint of ice cream is a serving. Not saying it isn't either. :D
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Yes! Log everything right down to butter used in a pan for sauteing or frying foods, oils like EVOO and definitely cream cheese, salsa and such. I always track every BLT (bite, lick and taste). ;)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »

And in some cases you have to wonder if it is intentionally listed as 20% less than actual. 10 tortilla chips = X calories...um, no, weigh it and it is more like 8 chips = X calories.

With the public health consequences you might think nutrition labeling would be better. We might be better off if they just abandoned "servings" and listed the total calories for the entire package and the nutrition info per 100 grams or something.

I'm not saying a pint of ice cream is a serving. Not saying it isn't either. :D

Isn't that what the UK does? I like their food labeling a lot better because it's usually per 50g or 100g serving and it's a lot easier to figure out how much a serving is.

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    No wonder I keep losing and gaining the same four pounds over and over again.

I log and weigh most things. I don't log condiments like ketchup or butter because I hardly use it except in very small amounts. So I would weigh my bagels and log it, but not the whipped butter I'd put on top. Or cream cheese.

However, I've been fed up with not making any progress so I thought it would be time to log and weigh everything.

So today I had a small pre-packaged pizza from Stew Leonard's. The label says it weighs 255 grams yet my food scale said it weighed 465 grams. That is a huge difference.

Since I make pizza at home from scratch, I was wondering how something that's pretty big could have the same amount of calories as my thin crush homemade pizza, as the pre-packaged pizza looks to be double the size.

I learned a very important lesson today. From now on I will be extremely diligent with weighing and logging.

And just to put it in perspective, the whole pizza according to the label says it's 520 calories. But with weighing it's actually 923 calories. So the label says one serving is 4 slices, but doing the math it's actually 7.

Hi
    FWIW prepackaged foods must contain at least as much as the label shows or they will be in trouble with the weights and measures department. However if they are over it will cause no legal problems. Just look at liquids for example, they usually have slightly different levels showing on the ones where You can see the contents.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    RogerToo wrote: »
    No wonder I keep losing and gaining the same four pounds over and over again.

I log and weigh most things. I don't log condiments like ketchup or butter because I hardly use it except in very small amounts. So I would weigh my bagels and log it, but not the whipped butter I'd put on top. Or cream cheese.

However, I've been fed up with not making any progress so I thought it would be time to log and weigh everything.

So today I had a small pre-packaged pizza from Stew Leonard's. The label says it weighs 255 grams yet my food scale said it weighed 465 grams. That is a huge difference.

Since I make pizza at home from scratch, I was wondering how something that's pretty big could have the same amount of calories as my thin crush homemade pizza, as the pre-packaged pizza looks to be double the size.

I learned a very important lesson today. From now on I will be extremely diligent with weighing and logging.

And just to put it in perspective, the whole pizza according to the label says it's 520 calories. But with weighing it's actually 923 calories. So the label says one serving is 4 slices, but doing the math it's actually 7.

Hi
    FWIW prepackaged foods must contain at least as much as the label shows or they will be in trouble with the weights and measures department. However if they are over it will cause no legal problems. Just look at liquids for example, they usually have slightly different levels showing on the ones where You can see the contents.

Good Luck
    Roger

Well I weighed my Dannon protein shake on my food scale and it was exactly 9.5 oz, same as the bottle says. But yeah, I learned from now on to weigh and measure everything that goes in my mouth. Hopefully I will start making progress.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I started weight pre-packaged foods too, and you'd be amazed that the weight is off from what the package says.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    anyone in the UK had this trouble? am thinking i should just leave my scales on the counter from now on.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I weigh and measure everything, and was irritated that my sweet gerkins (sweet tiny pickles) were supposed to be 30 calories for 28g, then says "approximately 3 pickles". 1 pickle was 28 grams. I would have tripled my calories if I didn't have a scale and just used the label. I can't imagine if that happened with several foods all day long!

Keep at it, for sure!

This is so funny because I had this EXACT irritation last night! The serving size in grams says "approximately 2.5 pickles." But when I weighed it, one pickle was just under the serving size in grams.

I still ate 2 pickles. But weighing meant that I logged accurately.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So true. I have found so many products where the number of servings per package is WAY off. I used to think, well it says two servings per package so if I split it in half I'm fine. Then I weigh one half and it's twice the weight it should be. Or half the weight it should be, I've been surprised by both extremes!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be depressing , but at least you can see why everyone says weigh everything.
    All these little discrepancies add up and bang your deficit is gone, leaving you frustrated when looking at that scale number not moving.
    I have been weighing for ages but I still can't eyeball a correct serving of butter, cheese, Mayo or hummus.

I can get close to 28g of cheese by eyeballing now. And every time I am sad about what a tiny amount it is LOL.

About the pickles, something similar happened to me not too long ago but I can't remember for the life of me what the product was...

The issue with packaged food is two fold though... First, stuff often weighs more than what a serving is, then on top of that they are allowed to be off by 30% or something... that's why people who weigh a lot of processed food can't lose weight - it's still CICO, it's just that there are more calories than you think in those packages.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I can get close to 28g of cheese by eyeballing now. And every time I am sad about what a tiny amount it is LOL.

About the pickles, something similar happened to me not too long ago but I can't remember for the life of me what the product was...

The issue with packaged food is two fold though... First, stuff often weighs more than what a serving is, then on top of that they are allowed to be off by 30% or something... that's why people who weigh a lot of processed food can't lose weight - it's still CICO, it's just that there are more calories than you think in those packages.

I wish the FDA only allowed a small percentage. To have food be off by 20 percent per serving, and have it be legal is ridiculous. 5 percent, I can understand. Ten percent, ok. But more than that? not fair.

I measured my butter and I use a lot less than a serving size but I'm still reeling over the pizza. There's over a four hundred cal difference between the package weight and the true weight. Combine that with eating all my exercise cals back, no wonder I wasn't really making progress.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recipe builder, it's a life saver. And if you log the recipe first, you know what you're getting into: do you need to make the cookies smaller than the recipe calls for to fit them into your day? Can you have 2 or 3?
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I record everything, every bite. Butter has a lot of calories and is mostly fat. Cream cheese, ditto. But something like ketchup has calories too and can add up as others have said. I count everything, even a ten calorie jello or 40 calorie popsicle. And all my veggies and fruits. There are no free foods for me.