The metamorphosis from walker to runner

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
Looking for other folks to friend who are at the walking stage heading into being a runner. Or some mentors who have already made the transformation.

I've been walking 3 miles a day at about 3mph - started at a 30 minute mile down to an 18 minute mile. I know that is a LONG way from where it needs to be and many who would see those numbers would laugh but hey it's a start. The last two days I passed the 4 mile mark. Yesterday it was 4.51 miles.

So if you are interested add me as a friend...

Looking for serious folks who like to do 5ks and 10ks....I haven't made it to the half or full marathon stage yet.

Let's cheer each other on to the finish line.

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm more of an experienced runner but just wanted to stop by and say great job, and when you do start running, don't do too much too soon. That's what ends up burning out a lot of new runners. Find a good walk-run interval program and build on that; something like Couch to 5K or the Jeff Galloway programs are terrific. Go you!!
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started the same way late last summer. Walking, then walking for distance and then increasing my speed up to 4 mph. When I got bored with that I started doing run/walks. I'm getting pretty comfortable running two miles most days now and have stretched it out to 3 with the intention of running more 5k's at this point. Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25K program. 2 months ago I could not run. 2 years ago I couldn't walk more than 0.25 miles wihtout severe pain. Today I ran for 30 minutes. It's a great progressive program. Your progress will depend on your starting fitness level, but you can repeat levels as much as you need to! If I can do it, anyone can.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Balaru There is a C25K ( Couch to 5km ) group on MFP and a B210K ( Bridge to 10km ) . Lots of support and guidance from other people new to running and those who have completed C25K and moved on to longer distances.
    I used the Hal Higdon Half Marathon plan when I wanted to run a Half Marathon, had good success and the most important part was No Injuries.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i started the same journey 2 years ago.
    i started walking on the treadmill,slowly increasing speed and distance.took about 3 months to walk 5k at 3 mph.
    as i reduced weight below 200 lbs,started run intervals.1 min run/1 min walk.
    once i started running outside,was able to increase distance progressively.
    c25k is an excellent programme that is well supported here on the mfp forums.
    i now run 20 + miles a week,complted several half marathons and even had a stab at a full.
    keep moving up progressively and you will see speed gains fairly rapidly over the summer.
    feel free to add me.
    good luck.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started out as a walker, and have recently started doing C25k (I'm on week 4). I vary my workouts right now; sometimes I just take long walks (about 15 minutes/mile, though two days ago I clocked in at 13:50/mile!) and some days I mix up walking and jogging. My goal is to be able to run a 5k; after that, we'll see where I want to go.

At the beginning of this year I could barely walk 5-10 minutes without back pain. These days I'm putting in 3-5 miles a pop without pain, and I love it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    definitely move onto a programme like c25k. However, you might also want to push your walking further before you start that. Rather than try to get faster, work on endurance, so going further at the same pace (or even slower) to get your body used to it.