My mistake: homemade cookies

Options
I always leave an extra 300 or so calories at the end of the day for some sort of 'forbidden' snack after the kids go to sleep. Usually I'll have an ice cream cone or store bought cookies, something to easily figure out the calories; fast. Today I made homemade cookies and didn't keep track of what I ate. After I ate them I tried to piece together and estimate of calories I consumed, and it probably comes out to around 700 and that is just a loose estimate. Oops. I guess today is just one of those learning days that I need to learn from my mistakes. Has anyone else done something like this? Or had days like this?

Replies

• kappandrea2016
    kappandrea2016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I most certainly have!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Lol - yes. I made the mistake recently of buying chocolate cookies from Whole Foods bakery, I got the larger size (about 18 cookies, could be 2 dozen, not certain) and opened them in the car. I had five by the time I got home, and had another seven throughout the day. I had no idea they were so good. Usually Whole Foods dessert is good, but not the compulsive good where I want to eat the entire contain, but these things are. Should have had lunch before shopping lol. The cookies ended up being my lunch, and then I felt obligated to go for a two hour walk for damage control lol. I have no idea what the calories were, but I know it was over my budget.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over a year and a half and I still screw up. I was on target today and then I pulled out a chocolate bar and didn't limit myself to just ONE serving. I'll prepare better for tomorrow.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    cheat meals/days are good to have, just dont overdue on them. with that being said i try to leave at least 800-1000 kcals for end of day just in case i get some made food cravings
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes... this is why I rarely bake anything anymore, even if it's a "health" inspired recipe. Because I cannot exercise portion control. And I always "taste test" during the process so the cals add up fast.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes... this is why I rarely bake anything anymore, even if it's a "health" inspired recipe. Because I cannot exercise portion control. And I always "taste test" during the process so the cals add up fast.

Take advantage of the recipe building feature here. Don't fear the homemade.
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Need to forget about baking for now. It just hasn't worked out for me. No restraint on my part. After I reach my goal we will see.
  • ari7l
    ari7l Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Might not be healthy, but I just really lower my caloric intake the next day, to be just minimum. And eat totally clean for the next days..
    Happens to everyone I had Nutella today
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I fear the homemade. I know I will eat the dough off the beaters and out of the bowl, then eat several of whatever hot out of the oven. Just not going there yet. I will bake if we are going to a get together of some sort or if I have people over. I did good when we had girl scout cookies in the house a month or so ago and when my husband baked a cherry pie for Easter. It's just the home baked cookies/brownies that kick my a**.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only let myself have dessert that I made myself because then I end up eating it less often in general, lol. I know the calories will taste better in the homemade version, so I tell myself that buying something premade will be nothing but disappointment. :smiley: I love baking and I make all of the bread we eat, so I can usually whip something up when I get a craving, but laziness often prevails (saving even more calories). However, when I do get the inclination, because I made it myself I know exactly how many calories went into it.

I also tend to cut things like bar cookies very small, and I love using my mom's old muffin tins that hold 3oz of batter vs the more modern 4oz size. I cut round tortes, cakes, and pies to serve 12 or more, and shape petite croissants, cinnamon rolls, and scones. I do this because having seconds is the best feeling ever when it comes to dessert, but the tiny servings help me limit the damage.

Almost everything I make freezes well, so leftovers get portioned, wrapped and sent to chill out in there. The thawing process also psychologically limits my dessert intake because it's just a tad more inconvenient and keeps the snacking from being totally mindless.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder is your friend! When I make cookies I scoop the entire batch onto trays, freeze them, and then throw the frozen batter balls into Ziploc bags. It's much easier to count out servings, plus it's easier to stick to the planned portion size since they need to be baked before chowing down. Not to mention fresh baked cookies are the best thing ever.
  • MciPanda
    MciPanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you. I went to a restaurant the other day and thought I'd ordered a "good" meal (didn't check the menu beforehand, didn't have time and was out with coworkers so I was hesitant to tell everyone that calories are the enemy). I didn't eat the entire meal, about 3/4, so I felt confident that the calories were OK. I even had two bites of cheesecake afterward. When I got home, I looked up the menu and realized that the meal I had ordered was 1,400 calories!!! It was some quesadilla thing and I even ordered it without cheese! Unbelievable. My ENTIRE DAY is 1245 calories... can you imagine? I almost cried...I even wanted to binge on something else just because "hell why not" but I stopped myself thankfully. I decided that making mistakes must be something that I have to forgive or this will never work.

Forgive yourself, remember the chocolate cookies fondly and then avoid like the plague :D hugs!
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just took a loaf of bread out of the oven and I am there with you on how difficult it is to resist the temptation of eating the entire thing while it's warm and chewy.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My sister made lemon curd for my birthday. I didn't count the calories until I had eaten all of it, 4 days later. Came out to be about 1600 calories for the whole thing.

And when she made brownies last month? Or when she makes caramel popcorn? It's a wonder either of us lose weight, sometimes.

Anyhow, yeah. If I make it, you can bet I am going to be meticulously logging it. Recipe builder, weighing the finished product, etc. My sister isn't quite as strict as I am about it though.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    YES! It happens sometimes... :(
    Just don't let it happen too frequently and you'll be fine. B)

Sometimes I bake a batch of cookies and then as soon as they've cooled I set aside my serving, and shove the rest in the freezer out of sight. That way I have treats for later but won't be tempted to eat them all in the first day or two "before they go bad." I always have room for a cookie or two each day. I just don't need to be eating the entire batch at once!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

This is very good advice. I like to use the recipe builder and look at the number of serves and cals per serves before I make a recipe. Often I will make the serves a little smaller so I have more items at less cals.
    Then while I'm cooking I can plan how many I'm going to eat, and it's easier to see how they can fit into my day.

• haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Quarkles wrote: »
    The recipe builder is your friend! When I make cookies I scoop the entire batch onto trays, freeze them, and then throw the frozen batter balls into Ziploc bags. It's much easier to count out servings, plus it's easier to stick to the planned portion size since they need to be baked before chowing down. Not to mention fresh baked cookies are the best thing ever.

Not in my house, they don't!!! Frozen cookie dough balls=yum.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    haviegirl wrote: »
    Quarkles wrote: »

Not in my house, they don't!!! Frozen cookie dough balls=yum.

Yep, I'm pretty sure my husband would prefer them that way