My mistake: homemade cookies

Options
2»

Replies

• NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    First, it happens. One day of going over your calorie goal will not ruin your progress in the long run. Learn from it. Second, use the recipe tool to put your recipes in so you know the calories before you eat. Third, I would suggest that the idea of "forbidden" food is not particularly helpful. It tends with many people, myself included, to build a sense of deprivation over time. This is just my opinion.

Agreed, all across the board. Just from your initial post I can tell you're hiding it like some illicit drug habit. Don't deprive yourself of sweets-- everything in moderation. I find that especially when I bake something myself, I have the sense of accomplishment like, "Oh hey, I made this. Go me. That deserves a cookie!" Don't let yourself ride the guilt train. We all go overboard every once in a while...
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ha! Cookies are my weakness. Put a plate of them in front of me and I'll tell myself, "oh I can just have one..." Then Cookie Monster comes out and all hell breaks loose.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    As Sheryl Crow might say... My favorite mistake!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just did that this week. Tried a new recipe Sunday night and ate the whole batch in 2 days. I don't really regret it that much because I figured I'd have polished them off by Friday anyway (thank God I'm a distance runner), but I am wishing I'd spaced them out more.

I'm getting antsy not allowing myself to have a treat until I've finished compensating for the treats I already ate!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to disappear because every time I see it I suddenly think I should go make some oatmeal cookies! Considering I ate a subway cookie for lunch I probably shouldn't.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've done it... Made crepes and had a few with toppings, when I logged it I realized that it added up to 900 calories or something...

Homemade desserts and cookies are always a killer though. I swear that the more ingredients I enter in the recipe builder, the paler I get, seeing the calorie count add up, lol!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. I make really simple recipes and I live alone so only cook one portion that is pre-logged. I know...snoooze.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to disappear because every time I see it I suddenly think I should go make some oatmeal cookies! Considering I ate a subway cookie for lunch I probably shouldn't.

I want to go bake too
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    Math is your friend. I figure out the calories in the whole recipe and then I'm super careful measuring out how much cookie dough is in each cookie. Divide, and then you know.

Or I bake, weigh the whole baking by grams, and then weigh the portions before I eat. A little math later and I can have homemade cookies.

It actually doesn't take as long as you think. I do this for lots of homemade recipes. Enchiladas. Chili mac. Soup. It's why I also have lots of quick add calories but I figure I'm pretty good on macros if I balance the recipes.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Sure. I don't bake any more.

But I DO like an ounce of dark chocolate at night and look forward to that !!!
  • papple227
    papple227 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    First, it happens. One day of going over your calorie goal will not ruin your progress in the long run. Learn from it. Second, use the recipe tool to put your recipes in so you know the calories before you eat. Third, I would suggest that the idea of "forbidden" food is not particularly helpful. It tends with many people, myself included, to build a sense of deprivation over time. This is just my opinion.

Agreed, all across the board. Just from your initial post I can tell you're hiding it like some illicit drug habit. Don't deprive yourself of sweets-- everything in moderation. I find that especially when I bake something myself, I have the sense of accomplishment like, "Oh hey, I made this. Go me. That deserves a cookie!" Don't let yourself ride the guilt train. We all go overboard every once in a while...

I most certainly am hiding it! I am not depriving myself though, I'm just hiding it from the kids. They are both really small, and no, I don't deprive them sweets either, their snacks are just a little more limited. I always save extra calories for the rare moments I can eat a cookie without little hands swiping it away. I just went a little overboard that day. I know it is not a setback, just something to learn from.

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Yep. My daughter made ginger/lime cookies that I just couldn't pass up...
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Back when I was over 200lbs, I made chocolate chip cookies every night or close to it. I had to cut that out because I was eating probably 3-4 cookies worth of dough and then 3-4 baked cookies on top of that for around 100 calories each!

I have basically given up on baking because it is generally makes too much for my family of three to eat in a reasonable amount of time, we really don't need to be eating it anyway, and I can't keep my hands out of the bowl. I pretty much only do it six weeks a year in Nov-Dec.

• olsogo
    olsogo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can't even get the cookies baked. Love the cookie dough!
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes I do it all the time that's why I'm not where I want to be in weight