If calories in vs. calories out is what matters, why no weight loss?

I am trying to lose my last 5-7 pounds. I weigh all of my food and log absolutely everything! I also wear a fitbit to get a general idea of calories burned.

Last week, I was 7,000 calories under maintenance for the week. I eat 1200 calories a day and end up burning about 2100-2300 calories a day. When I weighed in, no weight loss! I have been at this plateau for about a month. I have switched up my workouts and been especially mindful of my eating.

Any advice?

Replies

• eyeshinebright
    eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
    Hmm, it could be water retention perhaps? What kind of workouts are you doing, cardio or strength? I think lifting would help to tone and to gradually burn off those last 5 pounds. It's notoriously hard to lose those last few pounds for most people. Keep at it for a while and see what happens.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Tighten up your logging, that's probably it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    How's your logging? I found that I learned a lot about my eating habits when I started weighing my food... mainly that I was really bad at estimating, and that things like measuring cups were badly inaccurate, pre-packaged food almost always weighs more than it says it will, and I could easily kill my deficit with even a small series of inaccurate measures.

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Since you've mentioned that you weigh and log everything, I would ask how often you wor out? Are you giving yourself rest days? Also please realize that the last 5 lbs will be the hardest to lose. You'll have to be incredibly patient.
  • misschellechelle
    misschellechelle Posts: 52 Member
    Tighten up your logging, that's probably it.

Can't imagine how I can... I'm weighing literally everything!
  • misschellechelle
    misschellechelle Posts: 52 Member
    Since you've mentioned that you weigh and log everything, I would ask how often you wor out? Are you giving yourself rest days? Also please realize that the last 5 lbs will be the hardest to lose. You'll have to be incredibly patient.

I workout 6 days a week. I lift weights, do circuit training, and a mix of HIIT and speed walking. I do take a rest day for recovery.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I suggest additional rest days. Like two on one off. Perhaps you're overtraining and that's leading to water retention?
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Have you done any research on body recomposition? With such a small amount to lose maybe take focusing off the number.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You're eating 1200 calories a day, but exercising 2200-2300? I really hope those numbers are incorrect. You're not giving your body enough fuel and nutrients and in the long run, doing yourself more harm than good. If you do that daily, you'll lose lean body mass--not the weight you want to see come off.

That being said, if those numbers were happening you would be losing weight. I just want to address the idea of being in the red by the end of the day--it's not healthy.

Maybe she meant those numbers were her TOTAL daily calorie burn.. I hope so anyway.
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Because people who say that have no clue what they are talking about, they think they do but they dont. Add in a protein shake or two a day to move some of your macros around and your will lose they weight.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    VisofSer wrote: »
    Also if by the last few pounds you mean you are nearing your ideal weight, please be sure to take measurements using a tape measure, pictures, callipers, and/or clothes. The scale is not as reliable or reflective of real body composition at that stage. And unless you are in a sport and need to make weight, I would give it less importance than the tape measure.

^^^ This.

If you are relatively light then your scale weight is going to be particularly vulnerable to bouncing all over the place due to fluid retention and so on. You may well still be losing fat which is masked on the scale.

Ensure that the accuracy of your logging stays high and you are not over accounting for calories burned due to exercise and stay patient.