If calories in vs. calories out is what matters, why no weight loss?

Replies

• bigdish71
    bigdish71 Posts: 18 Member
    Measurements not weight, are you comfortable defining your total and complete body composition by your weight? Sincere question, not trying to be a "richard" If that is your "must have" and focus is to hit that target number, maybe go and get a "body pod" done to get an accurate idea of what the weight consists of, water, muscle, fat and skeletal.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Because fit bits are inaccurate. That's why. Total pieces of crap. I gained weight using mine. They don't work.

Why I also found the fit bit to be inaccurate for me as well, that doesn't mean its inaccurate for everybody. The biggest problem with fitbit is there is no way to adjust the algorithm to your actual results so if it works for you great, if not then it can't be relied on for caloric intake.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Keep in mind when you post in these boards, you are asking for advice from people who have been overweight their entire life, asking people who have been u healthy their entire life how to be healthy. Go to they gym and talking to them, they will give you better advice or a nutritionist.

Never waste time with a nutritionist. They have no formal training or education. And eating more is NEVER the key to weight loss.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's had a fitbit actually work like it's supposed to?

I've been using mine for around 8 months and it's been on the button. If I look at my weekly reports and weekly calorie expenditure and compare it to my food diary and my weight, it's a very close correlation.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    Because fit bits are inaccurate. That's why. Total pieces of crap. I gained weight using mine. They don't work.

Why I also found the fit bit to be inaccurate for me as well, that doesn't mean its inaccurate for everybody. The biggest problem with fitbit is there is no way to adjust the algorithm to your actual results so if it works for you great, if not then it can't be relied on for caloric intake.

Just because you guys gained weight doesn't mean it's fitbit. I didn't lose any weight with mine because I apparently wasn't logging as accurately as I thought I was.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    WA_mama2 wrote: »
    Keep in mind when you post in these boards, you are asking for advice from people who have been overweight their entire life, asking people who have been u healthy their entire life how to be healthy. Go to they gym and talking to them, they will give you better advice or a nutritionist.

Never waste time with a nutritionist. They have no formal training or education. And eating more is NEVER the key to weight loss.

Just like with any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. Absolutes are never good.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member

I've been using mine for around 8 months and it's been on the button. If I look at my weekly reports and weekly calorie expenditure and compare it to my food diary and my weight, it's a very close correlation.

Mine seems to be pretty accurate too. In the last 8 weeks according to my data I should have lost 11.67 pounds and I only lost 10.20. But I know that my logging for Easter weekend was mostly guessing and I also had my birthday during that time. Plus I eat out pretty regularly at a locally owned resturant that I have to guess at so I think the difference is in my food logging more than the fitbit. But even if it is the fitbit that is off that is close enough for me.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Someone might have mentioned it already but I read that when you are wearing a HR or something else that counts calories burned, you do NOT keep it measuring your heart rate while doing strength training. You pause it until you go back into cardio exercises.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Someone might have mentioned it already but I read that when you are wearing a HR or something else that counts calories burned, you do NOT keep it measuring your heart rate while doing strength training. You pause it until you go back into cardio exercises.

how do you pause a fitbit? that would be great, cos every now and then i gain steps while cycling.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You're eating 1200 calories a day, but exercising 2200-2300? I really hope those numbers are incorrect. You're not giving your body enough fuel and nutrients and in the long run, doing yourself more harm than good. If you do that daily, you'll lose lean body mass--not the weight you want to see come off.

That being said, if those numbers were happening you would be losing weight. I just want to address the idea of being in the red by the end of the day--it's not healthy.

She's saying her fit bit reports a TOTAL daily burn of 2200, it's not all exercise it's basic bodily functioning as well.

I honestly suggest a refeed day. If you've been at it a while maybe your body is way used to everything you do and isn't working as hard. Fit bit won't account for that. I suggest eating at maintenence or close to it for a day or even two, and switch up your exercise routine. Swap your cardio for a different style, take a boot camp class, something new to your body. Then resume your desired caloric intake and see what happens after a week. I'm going to guess your body is just super used to your exercise and not burning as many calories as your fitbit is suggesting. I do believe they are accurate for your average person, but perhaps you're dealing with an overly efficient body not being challenged as much. The refeed is something I have always found to be helpful even if only mentally. There will be folks with science to back it up, but I just speak from experience. Especially with your calories so low you can't eat less it might be worth a try.

Another strategy is to increase calories but burn them off with a new or additional exercise. So eat 1400 but do an exercise that you can estimate is at least 200 calories and see if just changing the equation a bit helps.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    gillie80 wrote: »

how do you pause a fitbit? that would be great, cos every now and then i gain steps while cycling.

Can't pause a Fitbit. On HR models though you can turn of the HRM by going into device settings from the app or website (or with the Blaze and Surge you can do it from the settings on the watch itself).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

Just because you guys gained weight doesn't mean it's fitbit. I didn't lose any weight with mine because I apparently wasn't logging as accurately as I thought I was.

It could be though right?

IIRC Fitbit has a very high level of accuracy when it comes to tracking steps if properly calibrated (over 95% I believe.)

However, it does not of course measure calorie expenditure but rather estimate it and has a margin of error of around 10-15% I believe due to individual biological variances. If you are working off a small calorie deficit (especially because you are lighter) that could be enough to blow your believed deficit out of the water. It is definitely something to consider.

That said the upside is that it does not have to be accurate to help some one be successful rather than consistent in readings to help establish a repeatable baseline which can be worked from.
  • ryry_

While I would agree with you it doesn't 100% mean that its the reason, it is for me.

I did an experiment after not losing weight for about 5 weeks using fitbit. I wore my fitbit but did not have it synched with MFP. I used MFP to manually log my excercise calories and ate my net amount. I started to consistently lose weight at about a lb a week. When I compared that amount to what fitbit said I should eat for a lb a week, it was consistently 500-1000 calories more a day.

When looking at daily activity the problem was in the activity burn rates. They were insane. A 15 minute 3.0 mph walk burned 165 calories. Using MET charts its more like 80 calories. The more active I was the more skewed the numbers were. It made no sense, considering the step counts and distance traveled were spot on.

To come back to the 15 minute walk fitbit gave me 165 calories for, the distance matched my gps almost identically. But if I actually went into fitbit and logged the same distance that my fitbit said i went, it would give me like 75 calories. Makes no sense to me.

Before its asked yes my stats were checked and double checked.

I honestly have nothing against fit bit and it seems to be accurate for many people here, just not for me and thats okay.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Any device that uses algorithms based on averages of the population are going to be inaccurate for some and not for others. Not sure why this is shocking.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

@ryry62685 - Adjusting your height would change the calorie burn estimations. Overestimating = adjust the height down / Underestimating = adjust your height up

Granted that's not a perfect solution, but it's a way to adjust it to try and get the burn closer to reality.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

ETA: OP, if you ever come back could you supply your stats and unlock your diary. If your numbers are right, you'd be losing weight.

Nope, works like a charm for me!

Worked great for me and the calorie burn was right in line with what I was losing at the time.
  • ryry_

@ryry62685 - Adjusting your height would change the calorie burn estimations. Overestimating = adjust the height down / Underestimating = adjust your height up

Granted that's not a perfect solution, but it's a way to adjust it to try and get the burn closer to reality.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might try that and see if I have any luck.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member

While I would agree with you it doesn't 100% mean that its the reason, it is for me.

I did an experiment after not losing weight for about 5 weeks using fitbit. I wore my fitbit but did not have it synched with MFP. I used MFP to manually log my excercise calories and ate my net amount. I started to consistently lose weight at about a lb a week. When I compared that amount to what fitbit said I should eat for a lb a week, it was consistently 500-1000 calories more a day.

When looking at daily activity the problem was in the activity burn rates. They were insane. A 15 minute 3.0 mph walk burned 165 calories. Using MET charts its more like 80 calories. The more active I was the more skewed the numbers were. It made no sense, considering the step counts and distance traveled were spot on.

To come back to the 15 minute walk fitbit gave me 165 calories for, the distance matched my gps almost identically. But if I actually went into fitbit and logged the same distance that my fitbit said i went, it would give me like 75 calories. Makes no sense to me.

Before its asked yes my stats were checked and double checked.

I honestly have nothing against fit bit and it seems to be accurate for many people here, just not for me and thats okay.

Was it a HRM model? non HR model? Generally, it's a 100 cal burn for every mile you walk/run.