Miss seeing the numbers drop!

Options
I lost 85 lbs over the course of a year and I'm in maintenance now. Every day I get on the scale (old habits die hard) and every day it says 126-127. There's still a part of me that wants to see that number drop even though I'm happy with where I'm at. I assume that after eating in a deficit for so long it's just going to take time for me to be settled. I've never maintained my weight before, I always have been losing or gaining. So this is new territory for me! Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was the same way the last time I was in maintenance. I found that if I ate and recorded in a deficit Monday through Saturday and then made up for it Sunday with a splurge it still felt like I was doing something during the week. Kept me motivated to log and track food.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    raindawg wrote: »
    I was the same way the last time I was in maintenance. I found that if I ate and recorded in a deficit Monday through Saturday and then made up for it Sunday with a splurge it still felt like I was doing something during the week. Kept me motivated to log and track food.

I do this sometimes too, not necessarily on purpose, after weekend splurges! I like your perspective on it. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I think its great if every day you only seeing 1lb fluctuation on the scale :smile: I can fluctuate from 1-4lbs in any one week which is why my goal range is 128-133lbs.

I know what you mean about almost wanting to see the scale still go down. Perhaps you should just weigh in once a week/fortnight now? that will stop the focus on the scale.

Congrats on maintaining nicely :smile:
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I think its great if every day you only seeing 1lb fluctuation on the scale :smile: I can fluctuate from 1-4lbs in any one week which is why my goal range is 128-133lbs.

I know what you mean about almost wanting to see the scale still go down. Perhaps you should just weigh in once a week/fortnight now? that will stop the focus on the scale.

Congrats on maintaining nicely :smile:

Well, in general it doesn't fluctuate much but if I eat a lot more than usual one day it will go up a couple pounds after that! If I stick to my calories though it doesn't seem to fluctuate much! Thanks!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I understand! This was one of my biggest issues transitioning from losing weight to maintenance.

A few months later and seeing size small and some medium's in my closet and not 1X and 2X's I got used to it!

Congrats to you!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week but I don't really miss seeing those numbers go down. I switched my focus on building some muscle and continued fat loss so now once a month, I take my measurements instead and focus on my next goal - being able to do a pull-up or chin-up. My upper body strength is the pits! It has taken almost two years to for my biceps and triceps to make an appearance and I am really enjoying the fact that my triceps don't continue flapping long after I finish waving at someone :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at first. But now my thrill comes from seeing how much I can eat and not gain. I'm also recomping.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yes this is normal. I lost 85 pounds over 5 years ago and kept it off all this time. This is exactly why non scale victories are so very important!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Redefining success from losing weight to maintaining weight was one of the toughest things for me to do, mentally, when I reached my goal range.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 lbs over the course of a year and I'm in maintenance now. Every day I get on the scale (old habits die hard) and every day it says 126-127. There's still a part of me that wants to see that number drop even though I'm happy with where I'm at. I assume that after eating in a deficit for so long it's just going to take time for me to be settled. I've never maintained my weight before, I always have been losing or gaining. So this is new territory for me! Anyone else experience this?

You should continue to weigh yourself regularly...anyone I know who maintains their weight long term weighs in regularly to make sure everything is status quot.

I've been maintaining for three years...when I went to maintenance I found it very beneficial to establish new goals...most of these revolve around my fitness. The number on the scale is only one tiny aspect of success and being healthy and fit...it's not the be all and end all. This is also why I always tell people to focus on other things besides the scale when they're losing weight...it's only one tiny aspect of the bigger picture.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    I still weigh daily and I'll be at my year anniversary on maintenance next month. Boring changes are nice. You're probably missing the compliments about progress. No one goes out of their way to congratulate you for not getting fat again

THIS! OMG this is so true.

OP I had this struggle, and so I stopped weighing myself. I did have a 5lb gain, because at the same time I dropped my activity level. I'm back to weighing myself, but it doesn't seem to matter like it did before.
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not the scale but the external validation that I miss. Pretty much everyone I know has gotten used to the new (100 pounds smaller!) me, and I don't get the support and congrats for maintaining that I did for losing. And while I set myself new fitness goals and continue to enjoy meeting them, again it's not the kind of thing other people really notice! I can always cheer myself up by trying on my size 2 clothes and admiring myself in the mirror, though. :p
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I can relate too. When I started maintaining I did miss the progress. In fact I actually continued past my goal of losing 25 to the point where I had lost 30 lbs. and I begin feeling too thin. Getting "too small" seems to have helped because I am not so focused on the daily calories and I loosen up on the weekends a lot more than I used to.

I'm sure you will make the transition in your own way and congratulations on having reached goal!
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    So I'm in the process of transitioning to maintenance right now. I'm struggling to hit my calorie goals and I'm used to coming in under so the numbers in green make me happy. Anyone else struggle to hit their calorie goals? I'm afraid of adding in high calorie options for fear of returning to my old ways...
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    So I'm in the process of transitioning to maintenance right now. I'm struggling to hit my calorie goals and I'm used to coming in under so the numbers in green make me happy. Anyone else struggle to hit their calorie goals? I'm afraid of adding in high calorie options for fear of returning to my old ways...

I know the feeling. I've struggled to add calories and still maintain the higher quality eating. It does get easier and just do it gradually, 100 calories a week or so. I thought "1900 will be tough", worked at it and then "2000 will be tough" though realized at that point, I was consistently making the prior 1900 goal easily. What is you meal schedule right now? I had 3 relatively equal meals, then added an afternoon snack (Quest bars, Lenny/Larry cookies, Fiber One bars) and when I needed more, added a nighttime snack (Cereal/milk) as opposed to just trying to increase existing meal sizes. Finally, I increased meal portion sizes, but only had to do so a little.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 a day usually with lunch being my lightest and an afternoon snack that generally involves some protein. ..I'm not great at logging foods always at the right times but my diary is open. I have days where I'm excessively hungry and days when i have to force it but for me up until this point as long as i averaged a loss is all good. Now i have to wrap my head around a deficit not being what i want. Ah I'm such a nut case