What foods truly keep you fuller longer?

Options
I'm finding that by the end of the night I'm still hungry! I am steadily losing weight so I don't want to increase my calorie intake. I find my self so hungry by the end of the night that I blow the calories I had left as extras on junk food. So what health foods keep you fuller longer that still tastes good?

Replies

• Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bananas! I can't eat more than two in a row!
  • 7yearbitch
    7yearbitch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Protein. Studies show that eating lots of protein keeps you satiated.
  • sighox
    sighox Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hei. I've had this problem aswell. It's normal especially in the beginning (say 2-4 weeks roughly). The size of your stomach will decrease gradually, which will help with the fullness/satiety feeling.

I've experienced, and heard from research that foods high in protein and fibre are good for the feeling of satiety.

Here's some information to back this up.

If you can, eat something protein rich, low in calories before you go to bed. Or you can use a slow metabolized protein supplement like caseine before bedtime.

As for what tastes good, that is your choice entirely. I like hard boiled eggs with pepper, or chicken, or protein shakes with chocolate taste.

Hope this helps :) if not, increase proteine intake all through the day or/and increase your calorie goal a bit.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Higher protein foods tend to keep me fuller for longer.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I include enough fat, protein, and fiber throughout the day. It doesn't really matter what foods I eat to get them, as long as I get enough. I'm doing the MFP default macro mix of 50%C-20%P-30%F.

I also eat lightly throughout the day so that I have about half of my calories left for the evening. I don't eat much when I'm not that hungry so that leaves more calories for when I am hungry later.
  • opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Things with high protein, fat, and/or fiber.
  • senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Proteins which for me would be meats, but i am addicted to carbs mainly rice as i am Puertorican , xd
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I try to have fat and protien with every meal, it seems to keep hunger and munchies at bay. Bananas also work for me, I try to pair them with cashews or peanut butter.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    proteins and fats.

starches give me that "full" feeling tho...I could eat all the salad in the world but if I don't have a starch in my meal I feel "empty"
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Fiber fiber fiber!

I eat huge piles of veggies ---upwards of 600 grams per day--raw, sauteed in a non stick pan, stir fried with zesty sauce, and in soups.

In particular, I love napa cabbage and/or broccoli slaw shreds as the base of an omelet or a salad, or the principal ingredients in a stir fry or soup. They're both very filling, and because they take a while to digest, I feel full for a longer time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, especially baked or boiled
    Oatmeal
    Beans
    Tomatoes
    Apples
    Coffee
    Diet soda (the fizziness to be exact)
    Pasta, especially lasagna
    Pizza (even at my highest weight extreme I never could finish more than 3 slices of pizza)
    Large volumes of vegetables
    Bread and rice - it gets a bit complicated here though. Bread or rice alone do not satisfy me, meat alone without a starch has the worst satiety for me, but mix the meat and a starch and I can be full for hours.
    Full fat full sugar cakes and pastries
    Large quantities of chunky thick soups and stews, but that could be traced to potatoes anyway

Those were my feel full foods. I'm afraid nothing we suggest would accurately apply to you as satiety is very individual. Just experiment and see what foods fill you up better for longer.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Eating a egg and banana together keeps me full for a very long time.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    protein, fiber and fat.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sometimes kombucha or wine is a nice appetite suppressant for me. A slice of Ezekiel bread with PB is a go-to for me also. I think cabbage is the greatest vegetable for this too. It takes so long for your body to break down so I eat lots of raw cabbage with wraps and different light dressings like Asian sesame. I also make healthy Vietnamese spring rolls with it too.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey good point that satiety is unique and we often need to experiment to find what works for us.

Case in point for me oatmeal and apples are foods which tend to make me feel very hungry, very quickly (although I suspect with oatmeal it is something to do with the sugar/syrup/chocolate spread I tend to put on it).

I wonder whether it is a factor of the individual's gut microbiome as to which foods are processed faster and how the satiety signals are generated.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Protein, fat, fiber. Make sure that every meal and snack has a good balance of each.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hefty amount of caffeine, lol. I'm aware that this isn't a health food, but it really does work for me. I'd rather be caffeine addicted than food "addicted". Kombucha and sparkling water, too. I can always turn to low calorie beverages when my next meal seems to far away.

Veggies. Cucumber, tomato, bell peppers, avocado, carrots, green beans, cabbage, onions, green leafy stuff. Fits my lower carb lifestyle and keeps me full.

Copious amounts of healthy fats. Nut butters. Have you ever had Justin's nut butter pouches? So great in a pinch! The almond butters come in Honey, Vanilla, and Maple flavors that are all awesome. The Honey PB is good too.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich

with milk.
  • Rockthatbodyat35
    Rockthatbodyat35 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me boiled chicken with 1 cup of tomato onion salad. I fill full under 300 calories.