Help a vegetable hater

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Better not breathe the air or take a bath or shower either. The chemicals (not to mention pharmaceuticals) leech into the ground water and evaporate into the air. The water is drunk by the animals that we eat and they are ingesting it as well. We are doomed. It's the end of the world as we know it.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I was reading this thread on the bus, and I missed my bus stop as I was so engrossed in it...
    OP, you are a grown up, you make your own choices. Eat what you want, face the consequences. That's ultimately what all of us do, every day, in many ways.
    Also, there's a billion things out there to get us. But, the average life expectancy where I live is about 79-80, and I'm ok with that. The paranoid world you inhabit seems to have us all dropping dead from pesticides all over the place - how come we can all expect to live to a good old age?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    I was reading this thread on the bus, and I missed my bus stop as I was so engrossed in it...
    OP, you are a grown up, you make your own choices. Eat what you want, face the consequences. That's ultimately what all of us do, every day, in many ways.
    Also, there's a billion things out there to get us. But, the average life expectancy where I live is about 79-80, and I'm ok with that. The paranoid world you inhabit seems to have us all dropping dead from pesticides all over the place - how come we can all expect to live to a good old age?

Other chemicals? (medicine) ;)
  • JYereRun79
    JYereRun79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mrprater1 wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone's effort to encourage me to try "this one or that one." Or to keep insisting that I can't hate "all" of them. When in fact, I hate them all and I will never try to eat one more vegetable as long as I live.

I've tried many over the years, I'm 27.. When I say many I mean A LOT. When you meet a girlfriends parents for dinner and her mom made something green... You can't be mean but you can make a small portion and mix it with something and fight the urge to throw up all over her china set after scarfing it down as fast possible trying not to taste it. Or how about when your grandma invites you over for dinner same thing applies or dinner with the church folks and family gatherings... Or how about because you know greens are healthy and its a good diet so you try them 5 or 6 different times of different kinds of veggies and you instantly gag and spit them out. Or how about when you're a child and your parents say "eat your veggies then you can go play" so you take one bite and hate it, so you feed them to your dog after everyone has left the room, or when you didn't have a dog so you just stared at them for at least an hour before your mom gave in. How about when you make a protein shake with them but you think about it having vegetables in it so you spend the rest of your night nauseous. A couple of my ex's literally tried to hide carrots (diced) and peas in my soup one time and spaghetti the other time... I literally never felt the same way about them after that. The fact that they know I hate vegetables and that they would literally try and force me to do something I don't want to do. I dislike them period. Just the thought of them makes me sick... Just like the thought of eating a deer or any kind of meat makes you sick.

The nuts is a great idea. So is the beans,

Do I eat potatoes? No, not even french fries...

Just to clarify... and REPEAT I do not need vegetables because I take supplements... Just like some of you don't need meats because you have protein shakes...

Thank you for understanding and not trying to bring me to the dark side. My mom has tried, my ex's have tried, my friends have tried... I assure you, you will lose this battle. I will not eat a vegetable. Lucky that I even eat fruits.

What makes the veggies so bad to me? Lets see, first, they grow in the dirt.. Where it is sprayed with pesticides (I work in the pesticide business. I know some effects that it has on the plants when a neglectful farmer doesn't mind the way he sprays or over mixes his batch of chemicals.) Some insects live and breed in your vegetables... Fruit flies for example love moist damp areas so a greenhouse is perfect for them... And no you cannot control fruit flies completely in a commercial workplace because the rotten and bad food will get tossed in the same place everyday. Think of a bar.. Ever seen one that didn't have fruit flies? Didn't think so... But anyways, Fruit flies live on nasty foods that are rotten/decomposing. They prefer moist areas... They lay eggs every day. They hatch into larva every day.. They become maggots, and then a fly. Fly's land on your food, poop it out, eat their own poop, (actually they don't eat anything they suck it up through a genetic straw like thing much like a mosquito.) then they puke it up and lay an egg on the puke. Do you know why? Because the larva cannot eat whole foods so they need the liquid puke in order to survive. All of this is done in less than 30 seconds. And this is just one bug that inhabits your vegetables and fruits. I could go on for days about all the farms pests I've been called out to for an "expert opinion" and guess what.. Their food still got sold... Even if it was pooped, puked, and shat on.. Theirs plenty of others pests too... springtails, earwigs, caterpillars, moths, weevils etc... all do some vile nasty things that none of you know about and none of you realize what you're actually eating.

Not eating vegetables isn't a bad thing. I think everyone is focusing on the vegetable thing and not your comment about sugar. Sugar is easily avoidable and you seem to stay away from carbs that the body turns into sugar for storage. But the easiest way to avoid sugar is cutting out anything like sweet teas, soda, adding extra sugar to coffees, etc. I know many healthy people, fitness junkies that avoid vegetables and are in the best shape. But I'm sure you know that information, and that info about beverages that contain sugar, or artificial sweeteners. I personally don't drink soda, or high sugar content foods. But like you, I was told to avoid too much sugar by my doctor due to becoming a prediabetic. So, no ice cream or candy for me after that, because like I said, I don't drink anything with sugar in it.

I know this didn't help, but I found it odd that those that commented said something about vegetables.

Good luck!

JSchlieve
  • snowflake954
    Options
    JYereRun79 wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone's effort to encourage me to try "this one or that one." Or to keep insisting that I can't hate "all" of them. When in fact, I hate them all and I will never try to eat one more vegetable as long as I live.

I've tried many over the years, I'm 27.. When I say many I mean A LOT. When you meet a girlfriends parents for dinner and her mom made something green... You can't be mean but you can make a small portion and mix it with something and fight the urge to throw up all over her china set after scarfing it down as fast possible trying not to taste it. Or how about when your grandma invites you over for dinner same thing applies or dinner with the church folks and family gatherings... Or how about because you know greens are healthy and its a good diet so you try them 5 or 6 different times of different kinds of veggies and you instantly gag and spit them out. Or how about when you're a child and your parents say "eat your veggies then you can go play" so you take one bite and hate it, so you feed them to your dog after everyone has left the room, or when you didn't have a dog so you just stared at them for at least an hour before your mom gave in. How about when you make a protein shake with them but you think about it having vegetables in it so you spend the rest of your night nauseous. A couple of my ex's literally tried to hide carrots (diced) and peas in my soup one time and spaghetti the other time... I literally never felt the same way about them after that. The fact that they know I hate vegetables and that they would literally try and force me to do something I don't want to do. I dislike them period. Just the thought of them makes me sick... Just like the thought of eating a deer or any kind of meat makes you sick.

The nuts is a great idea. So is the beans,

Do I eat potatoes? No, not even french fries...

Just to clarify... and REPEAT I do not need vegetables because I take supplements... Just like some of you don't need meats because you have protein shakes...

Thank you for understanding and not trying to bring me to the dark side. My mom has tried, my ex's have tried, my friends have tried... I assure you, you will lose this battle. I will not eat a vegetable. Lucky that I even eat fruits.

What makes the veggies so bad to me? Lets see, first, they grow in the dirt.. Where it is sprayed with pesticides (I work in the pesticide business. I know some effects that it has on the plants when a neglectful farmer doesn't mind the way he sprays or over mixes his batch of chemicals.) Some insects live and breed in your vegetables... Fruit flies for example love moist damp areas so a greenhouse is perfect for them... And no you cannot control fruit flies completely in a commercial workplace because the rotten and bad food will get tossed in the same place everyday. Think of a bar.. Ever seen one that didn't have fruit flies? Didn't think so... But anyways, Fruit flies live on nasty foods that are rotten/decomposing. They prefer moist areas... They lay eggs every day. They hatch into larva every day.. They become maggots, and then a fly. Fly's land on your food, poop it out, eat their own poop, (actually they don't eat anything they suck it up through a genetic straw like thing much like a mosquito.) then they puke it up and lay an egg on the puke. Do you know why? Because the larva cannot eat whole foods so they need the liquid puke in order to survive. All of this is done in less than 30 seconds. And this is just one bug that inhabits your vegetables and fruits. I could go on for days about all the farms pests I've been called out to for an "expert opinion" and guess what.. Their food still got sold... Even if it was pooped, puked, and shat on.. Theirs plenty of others pests too... springtails, earwigs, caterpillars, moths, weevils etc... all do some vile nasty things that none of you know about and none of you realize what you're actually eating.

Not eating vegetables isn't a bad thing. I think everyone is focusing on the vegetable thing and not your comment about sugar. Sugar is easily avoidable and you seem to stay away from carbs that the body turns into sugar for storage. But the easiest way to avoid sugar is cutting out anything like sweet teas, soda, adding extra sugar to coffees, etc. I know many healthy people, fitness junkies that avoid vegetables and are in the best shape. But I'm sure you know that information, and that info about beverages that contain sugar, or artificial sweeteners. I personally don't drink soda, or high sugar content foods. But like you, I was told to avoid too much sugar by my doctor due to becoming a prediabetic. So, no ice cream or candy for me after that, because like I said, I don't drink anything with sugar in it.

I know this didn't help, but I found it odd that those that commented said something about vegetables.

Good luck!

JSchlieve

Because everyone wonders where he's going to get his nutrients from. He has a problem with fruitflies and pesticides, so fruit is out too. Take out fruit and vegetables and what's left? Not much.
  • cgonzo54
    cgonzo54 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't like vegetables, I add broccoli every once and a while but like you refuse to eat them. There are many other alternatives that you can take in order to cut sugars and not eat vegetables and still reach your results. Add more fruits to your lifestyle to receive more natural sugars. Brown rice, parboiled rice sweet potato. Just got to look and find out what works for you and adapt it that's all.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My physician has used hypnotherapy to help people deal with very issue. It works but then you have to want to change. Good luck
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    My physician has used hypnotherapy to help people deal with very issue. It works but then you have to want to change. Good luck

This sounds like a good idea.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Help a vegetable hater ... I will not EVER in a million years force myself to eat vegetables not even if it was the only thing to eat on this planet.

I hate working out. I hate getting out of bed in the morning. I hate going to work. I hate doing my taxes and paying bills.

I do these things because that's what grown-ups do.

Ya know, I really freakin hate doing my taxes. So I do it on April 15 each year (April 17 this year, WHOOHOO!!!). I wonder what's the last minute equivalent for a vegetable hater?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP, you said you went to the ER and the doctor told you xyz. ER docs basically have to treat people very quickly, make sure they're safe and stable and send them on their way to follow up with their doctor. Was this avoid sugar plan developed through a thorough face to face conversation with your regular doctor, or just the ER doc? Sorry if I misunderstood. Especially with some of the previous and really current work you mention, I'm just wondering if the source of your excruciating pain has been properly investigated.

Now in case this has already been done, go to the diary settings page:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

There you can add sugar as a nutrient to be tracked. You can only track calories and five additional nutrients, so you may have to delete one that's already there. Coming to think of it, MFP loads sugar as one of the default six so none of this may be necessary

A lot of people log their entire day in advance. Play around with meal combinations that give you your target sugar levels. Did you agree on an actual amount of sugar for you to consume, or just eat very little sugar?

Not that I'd ever do it myself but some of the options for you to possibly investigate may be low carb or keto lifestyle. Those diets contain lower sugar levels depending on which one you pick
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    One more question - are you saying that pesticides having undergone three years of testing are frequently pulled from the market after their ill effects become evident after dozens of years, and then we just play whack-a-mole and release new, equally dangerous ones?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jenovatrix wrote: »
    This is probably the weirdest thread I've ever read.

There is such a thing as washing produce, you know.

Agree with the weird. Unfortunately, systemic pesticides do not wash off.

Pesticides approved for use on vegetable and fruit crops all have a "half-life". They don't stick around, and they break down. Some home-made remedies are not so kind, like vinegar and salt.

(P.S. I used to do the filing in the pesticide files at our province's Environment department).
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of nutritional shakes that have a ton of friends and veggies, and they taste like a smoothie. It may be a good choice if you truely won't eat them raw/cooked. I drink one by Vega, and it's pretty good. It's plant based and have protein as well. Good luck.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Recently I was told I need to lay off the sugars. I've been eating sugars my entire life though. Most diets I hear about is the low carbs and etc.. Well that basically means staying away from sugars... But that also means I have to eat vegetables. And that simply is not going to happen.

Fair Warning!!! Do not waste your time or breath telling me how important it is for me to have a "balanced" meal that contains vegetables in my diet. I will not EVER in a million years force myself to eat vegetables not even if it was the only thing to eat on this planet. I'd rather cut my fingers off and eat them instead. Even if it was life or death situation.. I'd die first. They make vitamins for people like me!

Without further delay, please, someone.. Tell me what else can I eat other than meats, fish, eggs, soups...

Why don't you just become a big boy and eat your greens?

I've got nieces and nephews that aren't that immature about food. "life or death situation.. I'd die first" come on dude you've commented you eat soup, you realize the bulk of that is probably made up of vegetables right?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Recently I was told I need to lay off the sugars. I've been eating sugars my entire life though. Most diets I hear about is the low carbs and etc.. Well that basically means staying away from sugars... But that also means I have to eat vegetables. And that simply is not going to happen.

Fair Warning!!! Do not waste your time or breath telling me how important it is for me to have a "balanced" meal that contains vegetables in my diet. I will not EVER in a million years force myself to eat vegetables not even if it was the only thing to eat on this planet. I'd rather cut my fingers off and eat them instead. Even if it was life or death situation.. I'd die first. They make vitamins for people like me!

Without further delay, please, someone.. Tell me what else can I eat other than meats, fish, eggs, soups...

Why don't you just become a big boy and eat your greens?

I've got nieces and nephews that aren't that immature about food. "life or death situation.. I'd die first" come on dude you've commented you eat soup, you realize the bulk of that is probably made up of vegetables right?

It sounds more like ARFID, something that I also struggle with. Essentially it's an intense phobia around certain foods or classes of foods. And no, it doesn't need to make sense - phobias often aren't rational, it's some primitive subconscious part of your brain telling you THIS IS DANGEROUS even when it's not. There's no reason why I can eat bananas IN things, and yet eating a banana on its own requires a significant struggle not to vomit (even though I actually like the flavor and texture just fine).

To the OP: you may find you can get around the phobia by taking advantage of how irrational it is. For example, vegetables chopped finely and added to a gumbo or curry might be completely inoffensive to you, while the same veggies alone could trigger a panic attack. I haven't tried, but talking to a therapist specializing in CBT could be a good plan, too.

Otherwise, just focus on what you can eat. Are you okay with grains? Plenty of options there; grains are effectively the staple food of our species.
  • mrprater1
    mrprater1 Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For everyone that is concerned about my "welfare" I just want to say eff you I did it, and didn't resort to eating your vegetables.

This post was originally about avoiding sugars. A simple food suggestion list that doesn't involve greens. But of course you wacko's and your pro life green eating marsupials come from every corner of the earth telling me that I should eat them.

This issue I have with eating greens started out as a phobia as a child. Perhaps I choked on them when I was a toddler or something, or perhaps I was spoiled by a sugar/processed food family. I don't really care where the problem originated. What I do know now from my work completely solidifies my decision in not eating greens.

Recently I took a wildlife course (for pesticide use such as flea and tick prevention etc) and had the wonderful opportunity to of inspecting a few large contract dairy farms. I'm am completely satisfied with my findings found in the poo/saliva of many of the animals. The toxin levels were less than .001% on ALL of the animals tested. Which I don't find this hard to believe because farms don't crop dust their cattle.

Yesterday I decided to try a different kind of soup... Which does have vegetables in it. Peas, Carrots, green beans etc.. I'm not a soup fan, and I sure as crap am not a fan of greens. HOWEVER I cooked it and thought well, I'll just pick the things out I do like and eat it. (I only bought it because it had a picture of some HUGE chunks of beef on it lol)... So I take it back to my office desk. My lights are out, I sit the bowl down on the desk beside me and completely forgot that it was there. 30 minutes later I'm thinking "oh crap my soup is going to be cold" I completely forgot that it wasn't my main brand of soup. I ate the ENTIRE CONTENT!! While I was staring at my computer screen. I didn't stare at my food or anything just would glance at it to make sure my spoon hit the bowl.

So, my conclusion, maybe I can eat the greens as long as I don't look at them and they are "watered down" Which is cool because this could be a life changing event where I stop spending 1000s on supplements every year and I could possibly afford that boat I've been wanting.

HOWEVER, even with the "good" fortune of finding this out I still don't think I want to eat them from the store. I think gardening will be consuming my near future... And I suck at that so... Wish my luck..

P.S. This does not mean that animals are healthier than greens. It just means lest pesticides were found in animals than on plants... Some plants I've tested have had as much as 2% (which can kill you)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    So... this is just a different way of saying thank you to the multiple people who may have contributed to changing your life?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

Recently I took a wildlife course (for pesticide use such as flea and tick prevention etc) and had the wonderful opportunity to of inspecting a few large contract dairy farms. I'm am completely satisfied with my findings found in the poo/saliva of many of the animals. The toxin levels were less than .001% on ALL of the animals tested. Which I don't find this hard to believe because farms don't crop dust their cattle.

But they do feed pesticide and herbicide -dusted crops to their cattle. You do understand that the level of pesticides and other toxins stored in an animal's fat over a lifetime might be much higher than what shows up in their saliva and stool? Hence the greater risk of mercury contamination in large, longer-lived, higher-on-the-foodchain fish like tuna and swordfish. So unless you're planning on eating cattle "poo and saliva" instead of flesh and fat, I don't see why these findings are so reassuring. (If you think all the "toxins" from the vegetable matter they consume are just being eliminated in the cattle's stool, why wouldn't you think that your body would similarly eliminate all the toxins you might consume if you ate veggies? Maybe as an experiment, you should eat some veggies from the grocery store, and then test your saliva and stool for toxins? If it were less than 001%, would that reassure you that eating veggies is OK? You probably should test your saliva and stool for toxins before eating veggies, so you have a baseline.)

But congratulations on finding a soup solution that works for you.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Mr, Prater is either an 8 year old pretending to be an adult, or a troll. If you truly have those issues with veggies, then perhaps a hypnotist could help you.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    He knows just enough to fuel his paranoia, which is strong confirmation bias. I had hoped that he would have an open mind and be able to discuss things rationally, but he ignores the rational. I doubt he read what I wrote as a pesticide chemist.