I think my scale is always wrong.

Options
I have a digital scale, and it is almost never consistent. I step on it once, and it will say 135.2, I step on it immediately after, it'll say 136.6, I step on it again, it'll say 137.0, then the next one will be back down to 135.4. It makes fairly big jumps.

Sometimes I'll just take the first number. Sometimes I'll keep stepping on it until it gives me the same number twice and use that one, but that could take forever. Sometimes I get frustrated and don't use any of the numbers.

Do you think I need to change the batteries, or what? It takes those flat round batteries like a watch, so I'd have to make a special trip to the battery store. Does my scale just suck?

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Take it back. Under warranty?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Try weighing something you know the weight of. Like dumbbells if you have them. If that's not consistent, you may need to change the batteries, though from what I've noticed, they tend to last 10+ years.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Try the batteries first, mine's done that before with a wonky battery. If it still does that, get a new scale - it is not an accurate tool for you x
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm fascinated by the idea of a store dedicated just to batteries.

You can likely find those batteries at the grocery store. They might be on a rack in the medicine section. The same rack that holds hearing aid batteries. (Basing this on my tiny town's grocery store's layout.)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You have a battery store?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My scale will do this too. Make sure you are not wobbling or weaving on the scale and make sure you give it time to make an official read out before you move on it.

I will usually always weigh three times on mine to get three consecutive weights. Fortunately I still have an analog scale that works on a dime 100% of the time.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I weigh a few lbs differently depending on how straight I stand looking down at the numbers. LOL
    The straighter I stand, the more I weigh....
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    when my current scale's batteries are low, it gives random results within 2 pounds.

also i've owned several digital scales, and one thing they all have in common (that was included in the paperwork) is that if you move them, you have to recallibrate, usually by weighing yourself and letting the scale turn off two or three times, depending on the scale. after that, mine give the same weight over and over and over.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Change the batteries or buy a new scale
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Do you have it on a tiled surface? carpet can make it read different.

My digital scale is a cheap Salter one, it weighs the same every time,(I have tried it just to see as I've heard others mention differing readings). Now I know the first number I see is what I'll keep seeing.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

You can likely find those batteries at the grocery store. They might be on a rack in the medicine section. The same rack that holds hearing aid batteries. (Basing this on my tiny town's grocery store's layout.)

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

I have found the batteries for digital scales at the grocery store, but last time I sent the fiance out for some, he had to go to three different stores. A walmart, target, or similar store would likely have them.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    I have a digital scale, and it is almost never consistent. I step on it once, and it will say 135.2, I step on it immediately after, it'll say 136.6, I step on it again, it'll say 137.0, then the next one will be back down to 135.4. It makes fairly big jumps.

Sometimes I'll just take the first number. Sometimes I'll keep stepping on it until it gives me the same number twice and use that one, but that could take forever. Sometimes I get frustrated and don't use any of the numbers.

Do you think I need to change the batteries, or what? It takes those flat round batteries like a watch, so I'd have to make a special trip to the battery store. Does my scale just suck?

I have 3 scales and two of them are two pounds difference in weight and both do what you say yours does. I can step on it and weigh something and then a minute later weigh a pound more or less. Drives me crazy! I have gotten to where I take the first number it shows. I also have a third scale that is the old kind where the dial moves to the weight and it's less than my other two scales are so it totally confuses me. :D
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I have found the batteries for digital scales at the grocery store, but last time I sent the fiance out for some, he had to go to three different stores. A walmart, target, or similar store would likely have them.

Haha I love that people are so enthralled with the idea of a battery store. Why would I bust out the screw driver and try to find a special battery at Target when I could just go to batteries plus?!
  • kaaaayla
    Options
    Do you have it on a tiled surface? carpet can make it read different.

My digital scale is a cheap Salter one, it weighs the same every time,(I have tried it just to see as I've heard others mention differing readings). Now I know the first number I see is what I'll keep seeing.

Yep it's on linoleum. Solid surface. I can't think of anything that would be throwing it off.
  • kaaaayla
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I weigh a few lbs differently depending on how straight I stand looking down at the numbers. LOL
    The straighter I stand, the more I weigh....

Oh dang, I better start slouching
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Haha I love that people are so enthralled with the idea of a battery store. Why would I bust out the screw driver and try to find a special battery at Target when I could just go to batteries plus?!

We use Amazon for batteries. It seems like we have a lot of things that require those same little batteries so I tend to have a package or two on hand most of the time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

We use Amazon for batteries. It seems like we have a lot of things that require those same little batteries so I tend to have a package or two on hand most of the time.

I use Amazon for odd sized batteries. I've seen a battery store on the road and in malls, but why drive when Amazon's price is competitive and I can get free shipping?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I use Amazon for odd sized batteries. I've seen a battery store on the road and in malls, but why drive when Amazon's price is competitive and I can get free shipping?

More cardio?