I think my scale is always wrong.

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by the idea of a store dedicated just to batteries.

You can likely find those batteries at the grocery store. They might be on a rack in the medicine section. The same rack that holds hearing aid batteries. (Basing this on my tiny town's grocery store's layout.)

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

I have found the batteries for digital scales at the grocery store, but last time I sent the fiance out for some, he had to go to three different stores. A walmart, target, or similar store would likely have them.

My scale takes 2 of the CR 2032 which I can get at the Dollar Store.

Batteries Plus around here have expanded to carry light bulbs also.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    You have a battery store?

Yeah, it's called Batteries Plus. Ha it's a chain. Pretty sure it's all over America, at least. Makes it a lot easier than buying batteries at the Walmart or wherever because you can just bring in whatever you have and they'll unscrew your cover, change your batteries, safely dispose of the old ones. Good for electronics that take special batteries, or if you're not exactly sure what kind you need.

Well, not all over. The closest battery store to me is an hour drive away. Walmart is down the street. Amazon delivers to my door. I'll get out a screw driver and replace my own battery.

You should replace the battery or get a new scale.
    If you have a weight you can put it on the scale and check the scale's accuracy that way.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There's several battery stores near me. They can be quite handy when you need something other than your average AA.

Anyway - I had a scale like that. I ended up just getting rid of it and buying a new one. Even new batteries didn't fix its issues.
  • sarbu24
    sarbu24 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

There is one here in Michigan called "Batteries Plus" I believe.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    +1 on recalibrating every time you move it. The directions on how to do it should in the instructions. If you no longer have those, they are sometimes found online with a quick google search with the product number (generally found on the bottom). I know with mine, once I move it, I just need to press down on it for 5 seconds, let it shut off, and its good to go.

Best of luck!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I wish my town had a battery store.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ha, we have a battery only store in Austin, called "Batteries Plus".

My wife has an expensive digital scale at home. Yesterday I decided to weigh myself at home, then drive 5 minutes to Gold's Gym to weigh on both their digital scales, one up front and one in the men's locker room. I weighed 1.6 pounds less at home. Both scales at Gold's gave me the same weight.

I got an old 10# weight plate from the garage to weigh it. It weighed 9.6 pounds, not correlated to the 1.6 pound difference I did earlier in the day with different scales.

Obviously our scale is not accurate, or Gold's are not accurate, but I would guess Gold's is accurate and both weighed me the same weight.

So, I am flummoxed by this. I guess we need a new scale at home, or I will just use Gold's Gym's scale.

I can see how the 10# weight plate could have rubbed off .4 #'s over the years, but this whole thing is confusing.

The main thing is to accurately log in calories consumed and calories burned, and the body will show us the difference.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you are using your scale on a carpeted floor it's probably causing your weird readings. Find a wooden or hard surface to put it on (I have carpet everywhere but my kitchen so I go there to weigh every day). I always weigh 3 times on the scale. Once I put my digital scale on a flat surface that had no padding under it the readings were dead-on accurate every time.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you are using your scale on a carpeted floor it's probably causing your weird readings. Find a wooden or hard surface to put it on (I have carpet everywhere but my kitchen so I go there to weigh every day). I always weigh 3 times on the scale. Once I put my digital scale on a flat surface that had no padding under it the readings were dead-on accurate every time.

Does anyone weigh on carpet? I thought like 99% of people weigh in the bathroom, which I think is very rarely carpet now days. Mine is on linoleum, so that's not the problem. Thank you though.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by the idea of a store dedicated just to batteries.

You can likely find those batteries at the grocery store. They might be on a rack in the medicine section. The same rack that holds hearing aid batteries. (Basing this on my tiny town's grocery store's layout.)

https://www.batteriesplus.com/

I have found the batteries for digital scales at the grocery store, but last time I sent the fiance out for some, he had to go to three different stores. A walmart, target, or similar store would likely have them.

Haha I love that people are so enthralled with the idea of a battery store. Why would I bust out the screw driver and try to find a special battery at Target when I could just go to batteries plus?!

We use Amazon for batteries. It seems like we have a lot of things that require those same little batteries so I tend to have a package or two on hand most of the time.

I use Amazon for odd sized batteries. I've seen a battery store on the road and in malls, but why drive when Amazon's price is competitive and I can get free shipping?[/quote]

Because the battery store changes it for you and I'm lazy like that. Plus, it eliminates returning something if I make an incorrect purchase. If the battery is changed right there in the store then you know if it's correct or not.

However, I use an old fashioned, non-digital scale because I cannot be bothered by tenths of a pound changes.
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Update:

Yes, Batteries Plus exists! I know, it's weird.
    Yes, I weigh on a solid surface.

I have changed batteries before, and I don't recall it fixing the problem. Going to try re calibrating, because I do move the scale every time I use it. Clearly I didn't read the directions when I bought it. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll buy a new scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    #bestbatterystorethreadever

It's fascinating
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why anyone would step on the scale a second time after weighing once? I don't even know if my scale would give 2 consecutive readings, because I assume the 1st reading it gives me is right.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering why anyone would step on the scale a second time after weighing once? I don't even know if my scale would give 2 consecutive readings, because I assume the 1st reading it gives me is right.

I guess its a good thing she checked. Could have been giving her the wrong weight this entire time :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I do it all the time specifically because I've notice the readings get wonky when the battery starts to go. Now I make sure I get the reading twice.

Also, I've noticed I get unreliable readings if I stand too close to the edges. Now I center my feet and get much better readings. But I still check twice to be sure.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's called Batteries Plus. Ha it's a chain. Pretty sure it's all over America, at least. Makes it a lot easier than buying batteries at the Walmart or wherever because you can just bring in whatever you have and they'll unscrew your cover, change your batteries, safely dispose of the old ones. Good for electronics that take special batteries, or if you're not exactly sure what kind you need.

You're paying for convenience... Prices there are about 4x what they are at Home Depot or Target for the exact same battery.