May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    They didn't break down results like most races: they didn't separate men and women, and they did 10-year groupings instead of the typical 5-year groups.
    @9voice9 Wow, you are used to 5 year groups? I don't think I've ever seen things divided by any finer grid then 10 years, and that only for large events! I just had a look at the three 10ks I did this year (two small ones, one medium sized event) - in all three, my age group was a 20-year grouping (1996 – 1977)...
    In any case: great time, regardless of the age group! :-)

@greenolivetree A lot of beautiful pictures, the bridge looks pretty cool!

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Age group at the last 5k was 18-39 :(
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 mi
    5/4 - 2 mi
    5/7 - 2 mi
    5/8 - 2 mi
    5/9 - 2 mi
    5/13- 2mi
    5/15- 1mi
    5/17- 1 mi
    5/20- 3mi
    5/22- 3mi
    5/23- 2 mi
    5/25- 2mi
    5/28- 2mi

26 down 4 to go

I think this will be my last run with Neeko, it was 77° and 80% humidity at 8:30 this morning and I think it is to much for him. Actually I think it is to much for me, but that is another story. It has been a week of this and I don't feel like I am adjusting at all. I am struggling to get thru 10 minute intervals, and failing, but still trying. Today was the first time in a while that I felt totally drained on the cool down walking home and was dizzy.
    I have a 5k on June 11th and just found out it is almost sold out with 1500 runners between the 5k and 1 mile fun run. It is at Cedar Point amusement park and is a blast, but damn that is a lot of people. I am totally dreading the starting line and the first mile until people get sorted out, after that it isn't bad.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @EvgeniZyntx Actually, that "cars hate bikes" thing is not limited to the US, sadly enough. In my little corner of France, a lot of people actually think I am crazy for riding my bike to work, because the number of bike accidents is so high. Not in the nearby cities, but out here in the countryside, a lot of the roads don't have any shoulders to speak of, so you need to ride in the middle of the lane. On the main roads connecting the different villages, people speed like crazy, even (or especially) when it is dark.
    And I can't count the number of times I was going round a roundabout and had to frantically break, because a car driver passed me on the inside and then pulled over in front of me to leave the roundabout - when it was absolutely obvious they had to have seen me! I was quite shocked the first few times, now I'm already expecting that every car driver out here will try to kill me. One of my colleages actually got into an accident like that a few month back, where she didn't manage to stop in time and crashed into the car. She flew forward and hit it with her head, and even the helmet couldn't prevent her from smashing a few teeth - not good!
    Once you get of to the small curvy mountain roads, you are actually fine, because people drive slower and expect cyclists. They just don't seem to be willing to respect cyclists that are using the main roads. I always ride the long way around on my way to work - takes me 25 minutes instead of 15, but a little extra "crosstraining" can't hurt...

Hmmm, but do you get comments about "les cyclists sont des *chatons* - its sont toujours en plain milieu de la route" (cyclists are *kitten* - hogging the road...) when I lived in the US, some of the behaviour towards cyclists was very aggressive (and the cyclists are some times militant...) - now riding in France is dangerous because drivers may be bad (I saw a guy open a door on a cyclist today, I'm in Lille this week) but I'm not seeing the same tension against cyclists or vice versa.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    May 11-18 - Rest & lost runs. Zero point zero.
    May 19 - 8.1 km fast. Two PRs HR175
    May 20 - 8.3 km tempo. HR163
    May 21 - 30 km Mountain Bike. No run.
    May 22 - 12 km moderate, a little walking. HR149
    May 23 - Rest
    May 24 - 8.5 km slow HR134
    May 25 - 10.5 km HR149
    May 26 - Brick workout 21.7 km bike, ice cream, 8.1 km run.
    May 27 - Travel and rest
    May 28 - Spent part of the day at a sports demo (fencing - my daughter, parkour, stilts...) no running

Total 117.1 km goal 120 km.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Haven't posted my miles lately so I am now caught up. I didn't think I would hit my goal with all the travel and work getting in the way this month but I am much closer than I thought and I may make it with the holiday on Monday!

Had a great run this morning through mile 10. After that it kind of went downhill and all I wanted to do was make it back home. My foot (arch) started hurting and I haven't had any issues with it for a while so I am a bit puzzled by it. Worse though was my knee started aching the last mile home which I am sure was a result of compensating for my foot and putting too much pressure on my knee. I find it interesting that all of my problems and injuries seem to be on my left side. Does anyone else get injured just on one side? Both the foot and the knee are better now after stretching.

Date..........Miles.........Total
    05/01.......0.00..........0.00
    05/02.......5.16..........5.16 - + Agility
    05/03.......0.00..........5.16 - Dallas
    05/04.......4.25..........9.41
    05/05.......0.00..........9.41 - Home
    05/06.......0.00..........9.41
    05/07.....10.03........19.44
    05/08.......2.50........21.94 - Dog beach run
    05/09.......2.00........23.94 - Dallas
    05/10.......4.31........28.25
    05/11.......0.00........28.25 - Home
    05/12.......4.07........32.32 - + Strength Training
    05/13.......0.00........32.32
    05/14.......8.32........40.64
    05/15.......2.00........42.64 - Walk with the girl and her pup
    05/16.......0.00........42.64 - Seattle
    05/17.......0.00........42.64
    05/18.......0.00........42.64 - Home
    05/19.......5.01........47.65 - + Strength Training
    05/20.......0.00........47.65 - Supposed to be a vacation day but it was a busy work day :(
    05/21.....14.51........62.16 - Distance PR
    05/22.......0.00........62.16
    05/23.......4.20........66.36
    05/24.......3.50........69.86
    05/25.......0.00........69.86
    05/26.......4.37........74.23
    05/27.......0.00........74.23
    05/28.....13.67........87.90

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    06/25/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    xx/xx/xx - Nike Women's Half Marathon, Los Angeles
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Great job with those miles! You probably have some type of weakness or imbalance on that side of your body. I've had problems on both sides but it always starts with low back pain/sciatica. Last year the sciatica affected my right side, this year left.

@kimlight2 Last summer I had a big problem with dizziness and seeing spots and almost puking. I'm going to try to overcome it this summer by slowing down. Wishing you luck :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @orphia - Congratulations on all the PB's - that is an awesome Hat Trick!!
    @honunui - I am so glad Lily is socializing well and so sad about Akamai's injury! I hope he heals fast so he can get back in there and play with Lily! You may just make that scootch - you never know!
    @4leighbee - Wow! Way to kill that 15 miles! You had an amazing run!
    @kristinegift, @ddmom0811, AdrianChr92, @mobycarp, @elise4270 and everyone else running in the heat - great job!! For once I am having nice weather - cool and overcast in the mornings and just hitting 70-75 for a high. It is going to get hot here though next week so I am enjoying every minute that I can.
    @MNLittleFinn - Way to Go hitting your goal already!
    @vandinem - love that Brooks video. It is Awesome!
    @elise4270 - I would take your return slow and easy and work back into it making sure to baby that ankle until you are sure it is 100%. Also I love my Inov8s too but find they hurt the top of my foot and make the toes numbish. I am wearing them for strength training now and only running in them once in while. I have Merrills that I have been mixing up with my Skoras but haven't really found any that I like as much as the Skoras. I had planned to replace my older Skoras with the Inov8s but I think I am just going to have to order another pair of Skoras instead...
    @mobycarp - glad the leg is feeling better! Great job getting in 5 miles in that heat!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - All of my HMs have had age groups in 5 year increments and I believe most of the 5 and 10Ks too.
    @kimlight2 and @greenolivetree - make sure you are drinking enough water or electrolyte replacement before, during and after your hot weather runs. My sports doc told me the number one cause of issues with any sport in the heat is dehydration and loss of electrolytes (especially salt).
    @greenolivetree - I think my weakness may actually be on the opposite side and I overcompensate and end up injuring the left side. I haven't had an injury in quite a while now and the aches and pains felt today are in areas of old injuries (torn plantar fascia and torn meniscus) so I just need to baby them again and work more on strengthening my hips on both sides. My glutes were also super tired and cranky by the end of the run so that could also have been part of the issue.
    I love the trail you ran - wow is it gorgeous! I would want to be running there every day... maybe even splashing in the water or sitting in the waterfall to cool off!
    @EvgeniZyntx - most of the cyclists where I run are pretty great, but I do make a point of watching for them and making sure that I and more importantly, Hobbes the Vizsla is not in their path. I had one get angry with me when I was running with Hobbes on my left and I was to the left so the cyclists could go by me from behind without issue. He came up from behind with no warning and yelled at me when he went by; Hobbes barked at him and I jumped and nearly fell. I was so pissed when I got to the trail's end and he was there putting his bike away, I let him have it - we had quite an argument but he actually came back and apologized for his behavior. The drivers are a different story... they don't watch out for runners or cyclists and I have seen too many get hit even in a bike lane or a crosswalk. Fortunately we do have quite a lot of bike/running trails if you can get to them in one piece.

I am loving all the pictures of where everyone is running and the friends and groups you are running with!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @Shanaber Thank you for the reminder. I am horrible about drinking enough before or during a run and I sweat like crazy and it is usually really salty.I don't like Gatorade or Allsport so should I get something like Nuun or is plain water okay? I am only doing 5k and trying to build up to 10k, so with warm up and cool down I am out less than an hour.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @shanaber I have been hiking that trail since 1999 and have spent time in the water :) it's a great place.

I'm a heavy sweater. Already just upper 70s/barely 80 I'm coming back with all my clothes soaked. This has been our first warm week. I try to stay hydrated year-round but definitely have dehydration or possible heat exhaustion issues running in summer. I'm using 24oz bottles of Smart Water right now and passing by to drink and make sure I finish it after. But I just ordered a handheld bottle so I'm not tied to returning to my bottle every mile. I feel like I'm gonna conquer this :smiley:

I need to get on the floor and do my pilates (still working on my hips) because I want tomorrow to be a total rest day. I keep reminding myself it's okay to not do anything once in awhile.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00
    5/8.......................6.00...............36.00
    5/9....................REST................36.00
    5/10..................REST................36.00
    5/11.....................5.00...............41.00
    5/12.....................4.00...............45.00
    5/13..................REST................45.00
    5/14...................31.50...............76.50 (GRT 50k Ultra)
    5/15..................REST................76.50
    5/16..................REST................76.50
    5/17.....................5.50...............82.00
    5/18.....................5.00...............87.00
    5/19..................REST................87.00
    5/20.....................2.00...............89.00
    5/21.....................8.50...............97.50
    5/22..................REST................97.50
    5/23.....................7.00.............104.50
    5/24.....................5.00.............109.50
    5/25.....................7.50.............117.00
    5/26..................REST...............117.50
    5/27.....................3.75..............120.75
    5/28.....................9.00..............129.75

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    nice run @PoppetsMaster
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree more great photos! Looks like a great running trail!
    @shanaber I'm a one-sided injury runner too. All my woes occur on my right side. They have ever since I started running. Achilles, ball of foot pain, knee..all on my right. If my right side behaved like my left I swear I'd have been able to break 3 hours in my marathon! Ok...maybe not.
    @RespectTheKitty congrats on completing C25K!
    @_nikkiwolf_ it sucks when work gets in the way of life!
    @4leighbee banana breaks are definitely allowed, as are stops to take photos (as long as you share here) - great run!
    @MNLittleFinn great run!
    @DRLauraDVM16 sounds beautiful!
    @WhatMeRunning it sounds like your training to be mountain goat!
    @AdrianChr92 I think it was you who brought up the Your Not So Smart podcast? I happened to see that Google Music now has podcasts so I checked it out. Great podcast! I was hooked on the first episode. This stuff is right up my alley. Currently listening to the second one about Techno-babble. My favorite source for Techno-Babble is the Brilliant Pebbles. Selling a tiny bag of pebbles as an audiophile item is hilarious. I swear this guy grabs random stuff, makes up a bunch of *kitten*, and sells the stuff to fools.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Added a few more miles to my total.

exercise.png

I was on vacation in Lake Placid and may have overdone it between hiking, kayaking and running. It was unseasonably hot too. I hiked up a mountain (one of the smallish ones) yesterday, and then of course back down. It was quite a bit steeper and more challenging than I anticipated but a great adventure. My legs were sore though. I got a great massage that afternoon and then today headed out in the am to do a long run. It felt okay until about 45 minutes in and something went off with my right knee. I think my muscles in my legs were sore and not holding good form maybe? Anyway, I stopped and walked the rest of the way and it felt okay but a few twinges here and there since.

I'm back home now so will take some rest. Hopefully all is well as I'm supposed to start my half marathon training group on Tuesday.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I know the guy playing the flute
  • greenolivetree
    Options

NW Arkansas :) I had to drive 20 min to get there but worth it.

Lol. I have to drive 45 minutes for groceries! That's awesome you have something so beautiful so close...totally worth it!

I just saw this from earlier:) Funny. I have a grocery store .75 mile from home. I walk or bike sometimes when I'm missing an item for a meal or recipe. I live in an interesting area though. There is cattle .75 from me in the other direction and I often hear a rooster crowing while I run. It's a mix of city/country living.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great pics again. Too bad you didn't get rained on :D

@katharmonic Sounds fun! Hope you're good to go for the start of your training group.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great pics again. Too bad you didn't get rained on :D

But my shoes got muddy!

@MNLittleFinn, small world! They're a great band and I thoroughly enjoyed the music. I was tempted to dance but thought the others wouldn't enjoy my sweat flying around.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ok, 3 for now. My new trail shoes were great and stayed mostly clean!
    Ummm. Are they REALLY trail shoes if they're clean? even just "mostly" clean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbE8E1ez97M