May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    No run today and maybe for the rest of this week unless I get up at 2 am = 2 dark as we are in a spring HEATWAVE. 31C ( 90 F ) here today and that's the forecast for pretty much the whole week. Our seasonal norm is around 18C ( 65 F ) so a nasty one for us. My 8 km ( 5 miles ) Brian Harms Mothers Day memorial race on Sunday Morning promises to be fun.

To put this High Temperature danger in perspective we have the City of Fort McMurray in Northern Alberta hit by a wildfire driven by this heat and wind, the fire is spreading through the residential areas with little hope of stopping it. Complete Evacuation for all 60,000 + residents with the fire jumping back and forth across the highway out of town.

Indeed...My sister, her husband, 4 kids and his parents had to cram into the 2 vehicles they managed to find enough gas for to get out of town and drive through neighbourhoods that were entirely lit up. Helicopters were dropping water on either side of the highway to hold back the fire enough for cars to get through.... I wouldn't be going for a run anywhere in Northern Alberta today. The air quality is gonna stink for a while.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Welcome @TresaAswegan ! setting a mileage goal is a good thing, but we also have people who simply set the goal of "run often" I think your goal of run steady a mile or 2 without walking is a great goal to have and will help you keep motivated.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I am so sorry that you are sidelined. I am hoping this time passes fast for you.
    In the mean time, don't go anywhere.

@meganjcallaghan I hope everythings works out for your sister's family. That must be a horrible experience to go through.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @jkhoffe you have plenty of time to make up miles if you feel like you're starting off slow. Just keep at it! You got this!
  • bibiverm
    bibiverm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    tickers.TickerFactory.com
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Today was supposed to be a 10 mile long run. I felt quite fine for the first 6 miles but I felt the need to stop at 8.2 miles due to finding myself correcting my form, legs that felt well worn down, and the beginnings of an ache in my foot. After a bit of walking the ache proved to be nothing and I ran the rest of a shortcut back home to make it an even 9 miles for the day.

I have a rest day Friday and I'm hoping that is all the more I need to bounce back. Otherwise I may shuffle my training schedule and bump up my down week to next week and plan the next cycle for the mileage I was targeting on this cycle.

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles

34.1/200 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 new PR
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • bibiverm
    bibiverm Posts: 8 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'm so restless not being able to run. Maybe I should quit checking all the updates. I don't know how others have managed being sidelined. I could manage a 2-3 mile run, but I'm sure I'd regret it. Appointment this afternoon with the podiatrist. Not sure what I'm hoping to hear.

Are you able to do anything else? Swimming or biking? I only kept from going crazy by being so dang busy at work that I was able to use the time I would have spent running by working and making my deadlines.

keep up with your core work in your down time. (not that I did that...I'm terrible about corework)

The Y is closed for remodeling so no swimming.(last PT said no swimming- but since I'm slated for surgery.....) I could try the pool at a different place. I haven't tried the foot on the bike. It doesn't seem like it'd be doable. But the shoes are stiff and it may be okay. Putting a shoe on still hurts. I may try the trainer and see if it's worth loading up.

Thanks!

I biked in my boot when I had a stress fracture. It was a bit awkward, but definitely doable. I also did lots of strength training. mostly upper body and core and things that did not put any weight on my foot. I feel like I got pretty strong during that time! Hang in there. I know it's rough, but you will get through and then running will feel even more glorious!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning great planning and adapting. I learn a lot when you post about how things are going!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    And my OCD just kicked in really hard....trying to make a shoe rotation schedule...which I'll probably get lost on and then forget to use.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Got in 2.1 miles today. It's hot and sunny again. I did bridge sprints (sprint the uphill side of the bridge, walk or jog down, turn around and repeat). I was planning on something more along the 3 mile mark, but I was just so done after 2. I forgot that today is Wednesday, which means Food Truck Day downtown. Normally, most people tend to stay south of the building I work in, so I'm not bothered much running the bridges to the north. Unfortunately, on Wednesdays, a lot of people trek north to the food truck area, so I was constantly crossing roads trying to avoid people walking three wide on the sidewalk while texting... Oh well, a short run on my second day back is probably for the best.

Followup with the ortho surgeon tomorrow afternoon to decide what to try next.

5.2 miles of 100 completed.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 only 77 with 85% humidity :wink: I'm sure after a few runs in the humidity you'll get as used to it as possible. How did testing go yesterday at work?
    I hope so. I know I did it the last two summers so I can eventually.
    Testing went fine. We aren't allowed to discuss the test with students until tomorrow but I heard it wasn't too bad. We'll see. :wink:

@Stoshew71 - awesome on AG win!!! Nice pics too.

@elise4270 - I hope you get good news at doctor today! I hate not seeing all your miles in here and Strava. :disappointed: I'm sure you are going crazy. And it seems like I don't really lose my running appetite when I stop running! Not sure why that is.

@ceciliaslater - that is awful about the firesetter! We had a famous tree here called "The Senator". It was really old, and the biggest tree in the state. Some lady went to smoke drugs by the tree (no idea what she smoked but I think Meth - if that is something you smoke - no idea!) ... anyway she accidentally set fire to the tree. It was a very weird fire, was burning from the inside somehow and at first they thought it was struck by lightening but then she posted something on social media about it and got caught. The entire community was outraged. IDK what she was charged with or sentenced with, but I sure hope she got help for her drug problem.

@meganjcallaghan - oh my goodness, so scary about the fire and trying to leave town.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 only 77 with 85% humidity :wink: I'm sure after a few runs in the humidity you'll get as used to it as possible. How did testing go yesterday at work?

@elise4270 - I hope you get good news at doctor today! I hate not seeing all your miles in here and Strava. :disappointed: I'm sure you are going crazy. And it seems like I don't really lose my running appetite when I stop running! Not sure why that is.

Ya, I'm afraid I'll wakeup one morning 50 pounds heavier. I have such an issue with body image anyway :tired_face:
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My legs felt heavy from yesterday's PT, so I had to kick myself in the rear to get moving today. I'm glad I did, though, since it really was a pleasant day for an afternoon run (which I normally dislike).

5/1...Rest
    5/2...4.25 @ 12:22 on the hilly lake trail
    5/3...3.0 @ 13:00 (this is really 2.0 @ 12:00 and 1.0 walking) on the treadmill and strength training day
    5/4...4.25 @ 11:51 (most of it was around 11:30, but mile 4 is a brutal hill) on the neighborhood rail trail

Completed races:
    1/18 MLK 8K, Burke, VA 56:14
    2/22 Princess Half, Orlando FL, 2:49:33
    4/23 Healthy Strides Community 10K, Burke, VA 1:14:29
    4/30 Run for the Children 8K, Fairfax, VA 56:35

Upcoming races:
    5/21 RunFitKidz 5K, Springfield, VA (maybe--if recovered enough from surgery)
    6/12 Celebrate Fairfax 5K, Fairfax, VA
    7/4 Freedom 5K, Fairfax VA
    9/5 Great American 5K, Fairfax, VA
    Either Hemlock Half or Divas Half in September
    10/30 MCM 10K, Washington, DC
    11/6 The Parks 10K, Washington, DC
    11/19 Potomac River Half, Carderock, MD

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@stoshew71 from time to time I find good rolls in Walmart believe it or not. Great time this morning, who the heck finished ahead of you Speedy Gonzalez ? Congrats on the 2 AG and 5 OA

Will Barnwell won it all. Some dude from PM Apache won my AG. (guy in white shirt at the front of the starting line on the other side of Will).

Actually just found out that I did win my AG. The dude in white (Hagar) was in an age group higher than me.

@stoshew71 woohoo! Great pictures. I know Will Barnwell's name for some reason.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

@stoshew71 from time to time I find good rolls in Walmart believe it or not. Great time this morning, who the heck finished ahead of you Speedy Gonzalez ? Congrats on the 2 AG and 5 OA

Will Barnwell won it all. Some dude from PM Apache won my AG. (guy in white shirt at the front of the starting line on the other side of Will).

Actually just found out that I did win my AG. The dude in white (Hagar) was in an age group higher than me.

@stoshew71 woohoo! Great pictures. I know Will Barnwell's name for some reason.

Fleet Feet racing team. He paced a few races in town. HTC member.

In fact him and Tim Pitt were my 3:30 pacers at RCM.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I've had a rubbish start to the month and could see my 80 mile target slipping away, the 4 miles this evening at least keep it within reach!

The fires in North Alberta are even on the news here. It looks terrible.

@Elise4270 - Feel for you not being able to run. I know for me it's ridiculous how restless I get if I miss more than a day or two.

exercise.png