May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Neighbor wanted to run this evening, so turned today into a double with an extra 5 miles. Felt fine despite the heat, as the pace was much more appropriate.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles

Total: 47 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 133 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@whatmerunning - Ordered 3 pair of shoes for up north over the last 2 months (as I keep 3 active pairs there), and rotate between 3 back in Florida as well - a long distance shoe (Nimbus & Cumulus), mid distance (Zoot Solana & Noosa 10), and speedwork/race flat pair (Asics DS Racer 10s in each), so I'm pretty much on a strict no-new-shoe-ban until at least September. I guess it would be a good excuse to run more miles though as I don't really retire pairs until they hit 400 miles.

@mobycarp - Glad you are getting professional help. Most of my northern friends use a GP who is also a 2:40 marathoner (and was a US national track team doc) as their primary care physician, as it sometimes takes a fellow crazy athlete to get you good advice. I hope the PT can give you some good guidance.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I got 17 in the running addict quiz. That photo of the guy running with blood stains running down from his nipples is not a sight I'm ever going to be able to unsee...

@Stoshew71 If only I could buy plasters which tell others I'm a running bada**! I only found some with minions on, so I'm wearing those and flip flops. I work with kids so at least someone will think I'm cool.

@WhatMeRunning I wish I had done that today. The number of people asking how far a half marathon is did make me want to shout in their faces a little bit.

@CChen8520 That's great news about your race, good luck with it! I hope you enjoy it :)

@MobyCarp I hope the PT does help you, and if they can't I'm sure they will refer you to someone who can.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 Bravo for doing a HM! So jealous, can't wait to do one! Love your recap.

1 May – 16.1 km Distance PB
    3 May – 8.1 km
    5 May – 10.1 km
    7 May – 5 km parkrun PB by 48 seconds! 27:47
    8 May – 8.4 km Mother’s Day Classic
    10 May – 10 km

Total: 57.7 km (36 miles)
    Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I only got 15 on the quiz. Pretty funny stuff that guy writes. I sent it to my daughter (23) who will probably think "mom's gone mad".

@ohhim - Many of my cycling friends go to a triathlete doctor here in town. One friend was having all kinds of troubles (too personal/womanly to go into, lol) and her doctor was saying she needed surgeries. She went to a female doctor who is a cyclist and she said "it's your saddle". Sure enough, she changed it and all the troubles went away.
    Plus doctors who run are crazy like us!

OMG how can it already be so humid at 4:30am!!! When I got back my hair was dripping sweat all the way to the ends. Oh well, it was still a great run. Did fartleks and I felt really good. Glad I finally tried them a couple months ago! For a long time, when I would ready about everyone's speed work, I thought "oh no, that's not for me". But after running a couple years and building up my stamina I guess it is for me. :smiley:

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks

exercise.png
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    04/05 4 miles
    05/05 2 miles
    09/05 4 miles

Not having a great month so far and it's mostly frustration from not getting time to get my runs in (like many others).

The weekend past sounded horrendous for a few and great for others!

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44
    4/8-3.11
    4/9-REST much needed REST
    4/10- 5.1

Total: 33.98/100

Run notes:

Today's assignment was 45m-1h at E pace. Managed to get in 5.1 miles in 54:15. Run felt good, it was a pretty flat route which helped. With the wildfire east of town and wind blowing smoke toward town, I didn't want to do anything to strenuous.

Left knee was a little wonky, and Right MTP joint doesn't like me that much, but according to my Dr. and the PT she consulted with, it should be no biggie if I keep my runs a little slower and just listen to my body.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight/foam rolled
    5-nothing yet
    6-nothing
    7-13.36mi great race. super hard for me. but I did it and completed it. and now I've finished a half marathon race
    8-nothing
    9-nothing
    10-nothing-recovery takes too long

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/10 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/11 8.3 miles - 52.7

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Good luck with the PT. I hope it works out for you.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm going to need a place for all these shoes though. :confused:

seeing the Glycerin 13 on sale for $120 really tempted me, but I jut bought my mom a pair of ghosts, so I'm not allowed to buy another pair until I kill a pair...my First pegasus are at just over 100 miles....it could be a while

I just broke open a pair of 12's and have another in reserve. By the time I'm ready to buy shoes again the 14's will be on clearance.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - Rest day after HM to finish April. Another ugly, rainy day.
    5/2 - 4.25 miles.
    5/3 - 3.1 miles. Quick 5k while my daughter had soccer practice.
    5/4 - 4.53 miles. Cool, pleasant morning run. Mostly base pace, but last mile tempo.
    5/5 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class).
    5/6 - 4.47 miles. Base pace.
    5/7 - 4.84 miles, Market to Market Relay Leg 4
    - 4.01 miles, Market to Market Relay Leg 11
    5/8 - Planned rest day
    5/9 - Unplanned rest day
    5/10 - 5.17 miles

exercise.png
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 75 Miles for May

5/2 – 5.73 Mi
    5/4 – 5.56 Mi
    5/7 – 7.67 Mi
    5/8 – 5.60 Mi
    5/10 – 5.67 Mi

Progress toward Goal 30.23 / 75
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/5: 8.1 Miles
    3/5: 5.0 Miles
    5/5: 6.0 Miles
    7/5: 9.0 Miles
    10/5: 5.0 Miles

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)
    5/2: Marathon recovery day
    5/3: More marathon recovery
    5/4: 3.5 miles with Pacers Wed squad
    5/5: 3.5 miles with Thursday crew
    5/6: Rest day
    5/7: 6.2 miles with Saturday RAP crew
    5/8: 10 miles solo
    5/9: 4 miles with Monday coffee crew
    5/10: Rest day!

This whole "no class, no work, just thesis-ing" lifestyle is pretty sweet. Just sitting at home, snacking and drinking coffee, writing, sleeping in... It's been pretty nice (and very productive!). I'm getting lots of work done, job apps in, and naps taken. I got up late today, spent the morning cleaning, and now I think I'm going to order pizza and write all day. Livin' the sweet grad school life!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    5/15: Princeton 5k << Volunteering, not racing
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    This whole "no class, no work, just thesis-ing" lifestyle is pretty sweet. Just sitting at home, snacking and drinking coffee, writing, sleeping in... It's been pretty nice (and very productive!). I'm getting lots of work done, job apps in, and naps taken. I got up late today, spent the morning cleaning, and now I think I'm going to order pizza and write all day. Livin' the sweet grad school life!

Ah the good old days before entering the real world. Looks like you'll blow past your mileage goal for the month too.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Ah the good old days before entering the real world. Looks like you'll blow past your mileage goal for the month too.

Yeah, I'm still toying with the idea of running another marathon on 5/29, so I'm recovering more aggressively than I inititally planned. I'll probably be more in the 150-200 range when it's all said and done. You can't keep me out of my running shoes! ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Yeah, I'm still toying with the idea of running another marathon on 5/29, so I'm recovering more aggressively than I inititally planned. I'll probably be more in the 150-200 range when it's all said and done. You can't keep me out of my running shoes! ;)

If your legs feel up to it, I'd say go for it. Running is such a happy thing, and running with the promise of swag is even better.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I can't decide if I'm just slacking or still babying an injury. I haven't run in about a week. I'm still a little hesitant because there is still minor pain in my right leg when I put pressure on a specific spot. Plus, work is busy (software implementation x 2, audits x 4), life is busy (we're in the middle of trying to buy a new house), and I just have no energy.

Probably, the energy thing would resolve itself if I found the will to run, but I just don't have it right now. And I'm too nervous about the leg to really run with any regularity at the moment.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I can't decide if I'm just slacking or still babying an injury. I haven't run in about a week. I'm still a little hesitant because there is still minor pain in my right leg when I put pressure on a specific spot. Plus, work is busy (software implementation x 2, audits x 4), life is busy (we're in the middle of trying to buy a new house), and I just have no energy.

Probably, the energy thing would resolve itself if I found the will to run, but I just don't have it right now. And I'm too nervous about the leg to really run with any regularity at the moment.

I think you should take advantage of being busy and rest. Sure couldn't hurt.