• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    the numbers the OP posted dont make sense to me. what am I missing?

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Exercise adjustment - 867
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

Your net calories should be as close to zero as possible. You should be eating atleast 1430 calories a day + a percentage of your exercise calories burn. You shouldn't be eating as low as 900 calories.

But to get an adjustment of -867 calories from your exercise tracker I have to assume you have either set your activity level way too high (but since your goal is 1430 i doubt that) or there is something wrong with your tracker, is it posting 2 adjustments?. The highest negative adjustment for exercise I have seen is like -150 calories and thats when I sit around all day.
    @Merkavar -
    Your math is off. And her adjustment is positive, not negative. Just the NET is negative.

650 (calories consumed) - 867 (calorie adjustment for exercise) = net -217

or

1430 (goal) - 650 (consumed) + 867 (burned) = 1647 remaining
    1430 (goal) - 1647 remaining calories = -217
    Yeah I assumed that exercise was negative since that was the only way I could get close to -217 net.

What does 217 have to do with anything then? That's doubling up on the goal isn't it?

Why are you and the op taking the net calories(1647) away from the goal? The net calories already included the goal.

She should be aiming to eat 1647 more assuming she is eating 100% of the exercise calories.

Am I wrong here? Is this a phone vs website thing where the net is different on each?

-217 seems to be the calories she has consumed today so far.

Yeah, which as far as I'm aware isn't the net, maybe that's where the confusion is, I'm talking the total net, being goal-food+exercise=net of 1647 in this case.

While some are talking net as in just food and exercise and not including the original goal. Something I wouldn't call net and mfp doesn't call net either.

Actually that's where you are wrong.

On the website the math is food consumed - exercise = NET consumption

The app on the other hand doesn't do the math for NET, but just shows the math for calories remaining.
    We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    Options

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

Your net calories should be as close to zero as possible. You should be eating atleast 1430 calories a day + a percentage of your exercise calories burn. You shouldn't be eating as low as 900 calories.

But to get an adjustment of -867 calories from your exercise tracker I have to assume you have either set your activity level way too high (but since your goal is 1430 i doubt that) or there is something wrong with your tracker, is it posting 2 adjustments?. The highest negative adjustment for exercise I have seen is like -150 calories and thats when I sit around all day.
    @Merkavar -
    Your math is off. And her adjustment is positive, not negative. Just the NET is negative.

or

Yeah I assumed that exercise was negative since that was the only way I could get close to -217 net.

What does 217 have to do with anything then? That's doubling up on the goal isn't it?

Why are you and the op taking the net calories(1647) away from the goal? The net calories already included the goal.

She should be aiming to eat 1647 more assuming she is eating 100% of the exercise calories.

Am I wrong here? Is this a phone vs website thing where the net is different on each?

Yeah, which as far as I'm aware isn't the net, maybe that's where the confusion is, I'm talking the total net, being goal-food+exercise=net of 1647 in this case.

While some are talking net as in just food and exercise and not including the original goal. Something I wouldn't call net and mfp doesn't call net either.

THere are 2 different screens.
    1. My home. This shows Goal, then food minus exercise = net
    2. Food > Diary. This shows Totals (food), Your daily goal and then Remaining

On the first screen it's just food minus exercise = net. Goal isn't included in that calculation.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

MFP goal - 1430
    Food eaten - 650
    Net - -218

1430-650-867= -87

@Merkavar -

or

Actually that's where you are wrong.

On the website the math is food consumed - exercise = NET consumption

The app on the other hand doesn't do the math for NET, but just shows the math for calories remaining.
    We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-

Guess i was wrong about what mfp calls net calories. yeah I think I just confused myself completely about net calories and calories remaining.

Just ignore my posts, im off with the faries this morning