Replies

• berrydana7
    berrydana7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Flexible dieting - as long as it fits my macros, I eat it
  • nessamelda
    nessamelda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move a bit more. So basically calories in, calories out. I can maintain my weight very easily at about 8-10 kgs over where I'd like it to be (which is still about 10 kg above an ideal weight!) without thinking about it-my diet is reasonably healthy, I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, not too much takeout or eat out, not much in the way of cakes and biscuits, just too large portions. And a weakness for cheese, bread and bacon.

So to lose I'm cutting down portions size, (weighing and measuring to keep honest) reducing the mindless eating of cheese and bread outside mealtimes, and trying to reduce the proportion of processed meats in meals, as the sodium in it isn't good for me. And gradually increase my walking and exercise-I'm a bit limited in what weight bearing exercise I can do for health reasons.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    vegetarian transitioning vegan but im not on a diet, im not eating vegetarian to lose weight :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    CI<CO ... of course.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I suppose for some people, the type of diet they follow seems to be of extreme importance. I'm going to suggest that maybe it is not the most important factor in losing weight - as long as you adhere to the concept of CICO, the details of your diet (barring medical conditions) are mainly a matter of personal preference.

I am one of those people who can lose weight easily. I've lost weight over and over again with a variety of approaches including Weight Watchers, diets I found in magazines, eating at a specific calorie level, cycling calories, Slim Fast, following the exercise and dieting advice of Joyce Vedral, and many more. I am great at losing weight. The only diet that really didn't work for me was Atkins, which makes sense because I am not a particular fan of eating meat, so it was way too restrictive for me, plus I like to eat a high volume of food.

The problem for me is maintaining that weight loss. That's how I found myself over 200 pounds in 2010. I knew it was time to figure this thing out once and for all. I joined Jenny Craig (you can insert any diet here, though for me it might have been a significant choice). At the time, the program focused on three components - mind, body, and uhhh, something else that obviously didn't make much of an impression on me. But my consultant was big on the mind part and fixing negative thought patterns. I read an amazing article on SparkPeople by Dean Anderson (I highly recommend all of them) and picked up a copy of The Beck Diet Solution along with the workbook. I realized that my perfectionist tendencies resulted in a lot of cognitive distortions (black and white thinking, all or nothing, catastrophizing, and shoulds/musts/ought tos, focusing on the details rather than the big picture, and mislabeling) were interfering with my ability to maintain a weight loss.

I lost most of my weight with Jenny Craig, then became convinced that I wanted to pursue a plant-based diet, so reached my goal weight and maintained an 80 pound weight loss with around 10-15 pound fluctuations on that. Considering the health issues I'm dealing with, I consider it to be very successful.

TL;DR: My point is that it is possible to put too much emphasis on the details of dieting and miss out on what is really preventing you from reaching and maintaining a healthy weight. Good luck to you.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Calories in < Calories out. I try to eat healthier than I did. We used to eat a lot of pre-made, frozen, fatty, salty foods. We eat way more fresh food now. We also stopped going out to eat several times a week. Now we go out maybe a few times a month. Otherwise, nothing special. My only "must" is that I attempt to have protein, carbs and fat in every meal, no matter how small. That way I feel sated and feel like I'm eating well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I eat food, that's about it. I eat anything and everything with in my calories.

When people talk about all these other diets they always seem to mention craving the thing they cut, why not include it in moderation?

Allergy, addiction, and adverse reactions would be my top three.

What flatters the goose may kill the gander, even in "moderation."

People cut out foods for a number of reasons. If it's because they are difficult to moderate, the cravings lessen, when it's for allergies, itching and pains and bloating goes away, but when it's because they think that the food is "fattening", the cravings increase. So the wording will be different, at least if the person is willing to investigate and be mindful and honest and clear.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free due to celiac disease, but I have been doing it so long, and am so used to it, that I don't really identify this as my WoE anymore. I actually wasn't even going to mention it but I saw GF listed in the OP and remebered to add that.

I eat a very LCHF ketogenic diet. I started it to manage insulin resistance and sugar cravings because moderation wasn't working for those issues for me. I find it very simple to stay LCHF, and after eating this way for a year, it is now a non-issue for me. It's now just the way I eat, and I can easily pass up the sweets and bake goods that I used to eat. It is not so much a WoE anymore, and more of "what shall I eat today?"

The only time I am reminded that I eat differently is when I eat out, which I do very rarely because it is very difficult to have a safe gluten-free meal prepared for me next to a meal containing gluten without cross contamination occuring. 95% of the time, the fact that I eat differently than most is not a noticeable thing.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    CICIO but less packaged foods, junk so to speak. Fresh veggies, leaner meats, real farm eggs and personally trying to stay away from sweets they are a trigger food. I can eat them out at a restaurant because it's just one serving, but if I bring it to the house HA!! 1 becomes 2 becomes EAT ALL THE STUFFS!!!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    CICIO but less packaged foods, junk so to speak. Fresh veggies, leaner meats, real farm eggs and personally trying to stay away from sweets they are a trigger food. I can eat them out at a restaurant because it's just one serving, but if I bring it to the house HA!! 1 becomes 2 becomes EAT ALL THE STUFFS!!!

CICIO ? That's one too many calorie in. No thanks.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

CICIO ? That's one too many calorie in. No thanks.

LOL and it's to late to change it!!