Do vegans maintain on more calories?

Options
It seems as though vegans maintain on more calories 2500+ than those who eat dairy/meat products and focus more on protein a pose to carbs. What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe this is true, not true, or too many variables that could contribute?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It seems as though vegans maintain on more calories 2500+ than those who eat dairy/meat products and focus more on protein a pose to carbs. What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe this is true, not true, or too many variables that could contribute?

If anything, the opposite could *******possibly******* be true. (note all the asterisks hedging)

I'd bet a balanced diet that limits refined grains is the key.

ps: opposed.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a reason why vegans would maintain on more calories..

Where did you come up with this theory OP?
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A lot of vegan bloggers and writers claim to maintain eating 2,500-3,000 calories a day. They could be overestimating, but even at 2,200-2,700... That's still higher than I'd dream of eating.
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    correlation =/= causation

Vegans (at least all of the ones I know) lead a very different lifestyle from the majority of the population, and not just in terms of diet. Spurious comparison.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A lot of vegan bloggers and writers claim to maintain eating 2,500-3,000 calories a day. They could be overestimating, but even at 2,200-2,700... That's still higher than I'd dream of eating.

Freelee??

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Overestimation, deception, or delusion. The only thing I can imagine could be the grain of truth in this, is that plants, and raw food, uses more calories to digest, and that not all of the calories in raw/plant food are digested. It will not affect CI, though, and it will never account for a difference of 20-30% ingested calories, not ever.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Overestimation, deception, or delusion. The only thing I can imagine could be the grain of truth in this, is that plants, and raw food, uses more calories to digest, and that not all of the calories in raw/plant food are digested. It will not affect CI, though, and it will never account for a difference of 20-30% ingested calories, not ever.

This is what I have also heard too, but no idea if it's true or not. The only way to prove it would be a study in which participants were fed vegan for a few weeks and then included animal-based foods for a few weeks and then back on to vegan. I don't know whether a study such as this has been attempted.

I do know that I can eat gargantuan volumes of food, much more than when I included more animal-based foods (I just have an egg every couple of weeks and one small serving of fish a week), but assumed that was to do with calorie density of the food rather than something more fundamental with food metabolism going on.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Vegans maintaining on higher calories is akin to some low carbers claiming they can lose more weight eating more calories. The culprit? Perceived hunger. When you feel satisfied with the foods you are eating and are not hungry, you tend to overestimate the calories you are eating because they "feel" like a lot. Some vegans, especially raw vegans, feel like they are eating a lot of food (and they are, because most vegetables and fruits have a low calorie density).

The same mechanism was shown to exist in people who are naturally thin. They feel like they are eating no less than their overweight friends, when in reality they tend to forget the days they are barely eating.

Just try it out for yourself, pay attention to your intake on days when your appetite is on either side of extremes. On some days 1200 calories feels like a feast and I could swear I had more to eat that day, on other days 2000 calories are not enough and I could swear I didn't eat that much. Accurate logging is what keeps me honest because you can't trust your perceived food intake.

My dad's entire side of the family are all naturally thin people. But when I think about their plates and what was on them, or how much they didn't like to always finish their meals, well, I can see the real reason they were thin.

Besides that they were all hyper people with nervous movements, never sitting for long and busy doing things around the house all the time. Its just a natural part of how they were.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I have noticed all those vegan bloggers claim to maintain on 3000 though
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    No, I think that it's just that a lot of vegans eat less calorie dense foods, so they feel like they are eating more - more food, yes. More calories, no. They may feel more like they have to make an effort to get enough calories in. It's harder to get enough fat, protein without thinking about it when you aren't eating animal products. Still easily possible, but it's more of a conscious effort.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have noticed all those vegan bloggers claim to maintain on 3000 though

a lot of them also road bike like 50 hours a day, I think it's because they lead extremely active lives as well and fuel that exercise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Many of the people making that claim are incredibly active. Many active people would require 2,500-3,000 to maintain.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Why would they?
    Volume wise, maybe they get to eat more, but that is because vegetables are low in calories and you can eat a lot of them vs: meat which is more calorie dense per serving.