Why Did You Decide to Change?

Options
I am curious to hear from folks about what lead to their decision to change their lifestyle and get healthy? Was it an "Ah ha" moment, a last straw, or a slow build up over time? Why did you decide to change?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For me it was just a single doctor report. "You HDL is low". The only solution is exercise and weight loss.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Too many people around me not living to draw their pensions and a significant family history of a condition exacerbated by excess weight.
  • chickwoo69
    chickwoo69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well I've tried this before and was very successful but last year I had to have a major surgery that put my journey on hold. Now my diabetes is out of control and the Dr is on my case; so it's time for a change. Besides I want to live a long healthy life. B)
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just got sick of being sick and tired and feeling crappy all of the time. That plus low self esteem for as long as I can remember. It is hard at times but never give up.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've been on the weight loss roller coaster since I was 20 (13 yrs) and I'm just so sick of losing & gaining & losing and feeling like a failure because I don't stick with it. I was on the last pair of fitting jeans because i had thrown the bigger ones away the last time I lost. Saw a picture of myself and was bigger than I thought in my head...it was a lot of things I guess:)
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My son announced the date of his wedding. I didn't want to look awful in the wedding photos. Something "switched" on in my brain. The wedding is 3 months away but i now have a new lifestyle and will continue for the rest of my life
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A family history of diabetes and becoming a Mom at an older age. I want to be around as long as possible for my daughter. I kept rationalizing the weight gain as pregnancy related, but then it went up more in her second year. My goal is to be back down to my pre-pregnancy weight by her third birthday and then lose another 10 or so to be safely within a healthy BMI.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Had tachycardia last May, scared the crap out of me. Doc thought weight loss would be a good idea. He was right, tachycardia gone, high blood pressure too!
  • LoveEpifanie
    LoveEpifanie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Last year I had worked really hard and lost almost 40 pounds. I was really proud of myself but I had a long way to go still. Something happened and I slowly got back into my old habits. I had regained 30 pounds. When I saw 200 pounds back on the scale again I was so sad with myself. So I started it back up and I will NOT let myself do that again. I am changing so I can have the confidence to do all the things that I want.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Wanting to start a family and then wanting to be there for my family. I didn't want to be on the side lines and most importantly (for me) I want to be good/positive visual role model for my children not a person that's only preaching at them.
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was just unhappy with myself. I had always been overweight as a kid and as a teenager and thought that it was time for a change. I think I started at the end of February in 2014 at 196 pounds and now I'm exactly at 146. Somewhere in 2015 I gained back about 20 pounds but lost it again and am doing even better now XD Though I'm still trying to lose a few more pounds!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!