You can't eat that!

Options
2»

Replies

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    A friend did that to me once. I was having McDonalds and after I finished my meal I went and got a Oreo mcflurry. And she said I thought you wanted to lose weight? I responded with I do and I am. She just gave me a skeptical look. The next day was my weigh in day. Had lost 2 pounds that week. When I saw her later that day I told her. She never bothered me about my food choices again.
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend knows not to question me. He knows that I carefully consider what I eat.

My friends, however, don't have a clue. When they ask me why I'm not getting a 3am food truck sandwich with them, I just say "No thanks, I'm good"... because otherwise I'd sound judgemental.

My boyfriend doesn't see the point. He loves me the way I am. Which I am incredibly thankful for. But, it makes it difficult when he can eat an entire King Size Hershey bar and not gain a pound and he keeps offering me more and more. I say no thanks. He just doesn't get it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm quite proud of my insufferable know-it-all rep. I tell whoever asks exactly what I'm doing and how I'm doing it and what my results have been. But I'm also cool with myself (not implying anyone else isn't), so when or if they choose not to believe me, I would seriously have to put in actual effort to give a #$%^.

I mean, my thought is, this is science. I wouldn't not tell someone that the earth isn't flat, or that the sun revolves around US or sickness is caused by germs and not demons or something. The evidence is 100% on my side. LAW of thermodynamics. I feel very self-assured that way and so I have no problem talking to people about it or outright telling them "Hey, sorry, but that thing you just said is BS, and here's the science why."

I mean, I'm not a jerk about it, I'm nice, and I try to empathize with them 'cause chances are they're just regurgitating lies they themselves were told, it's not like they have some sort of ill intent or malicious motivation here. The world is chock full of deceivers and the deceived, and the second part is who you most often get so there's no reason to be nasty about it. But I feel responsible to "go upright and vital, and speak the rude truth in all ways" so to speak. I just can't help myself. I try to maintain the balance by at least acknowledging my know-it-all-ness and kindly shutting up when people ask me to:)
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Unfortunately most people losing weight or trying to be fit in general will hear this from time to time. I'm 5'3.5" and 110 pounds. A certain coworker reminds me I need to keep a "womanly" figure constantly. Whenever there is cake at work, she will say "Oh, but YOU don't/can't eat stuff like THAT!" and my response is always "Oh, I can/do and I will!" as I cut a nice sized piece and eat it. I try to be civil to keep the peace, but sometimes it's annoying. I think subconsciously certain people want to believe that deprivation is the only way to be successful with regard to weight loss/physical health. That way they don't have to take responsibility for their own shortcomings while simultaneously trying to instill guilt in others to feel better about themselves.

I truly believed that thin people never eat cake. They just pose with cake. It's just that when I eat cake, I eat the whole cake, and I'll eat cake every day, and I'll also eat large amounts of chips, ice cream and chocolate. Eating lots of sweets makes me lethargic. Thin people don't usually eat the whole cake, and when they eat chips, they don't also eat lots of ice cream, candy and chips, at least not without moving more, a lot more, or skipping meals, to compensate.

For me, it was just a disconnect. At last understanding dosage and frequency and totals, I have no trouble keeping to my calorie goal (most of the time).

That's what I always thought too. Then I would watch my boss eat the dessert they have at the cafeteria every day at lunch and think to myself "that's totally not fair" as I ate my lunch that I brought from home and tried not to look at the dessert table. Then I really paid attention to what she ate for lunch (in a non-creepy way haha :D ) and realized how little the rest of her lunch was. I don't know what she eats for breakfast, but I've seen her dinner a few times when we've got out for work-outings and it's again a normal-to-small portion size. Then it clicked.

She's one of the few people at work that does actually know I'm working on losing weight and she's actually really nice about it. She looks at what I bring for lunch and always makes a positive comment about it. I don't tell many others because I know I'll get reactions like some of the rest of you have commented about. I just told her randomly one day when we were talking about running, so I'm glad she's not like most other people.