Tattoo

Options

Replies

• pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Go to a tattoo ARTIST you like. They'll draw you up something. It's their job :wink:
  • SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Just my opinion.
    The janitor at the office has several tattoos.
    On the news, the mugshots of criminals have several.
    The homeless guy panhandling on the corner has ink; a lot.

Guess it just depends on whom one would like to emulate.
    Yeah, I'll be 70 in a few months.
    With age comes wisdom.

I'm a PhD student, I teach at the university level, I speak three languages, and I have never even gotten so much as a parking ticket from law enforcement. I also have a tattoo and it's awesome. I can't wait to get more.

Your 'wisdom' is nothing but thinly-veiled classism, plain and simple.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    tattoos are expressive - more people have them now as they're not so frowned upon (well!) and a wide range of different people from different backgrounds have them also. I bet you'd be shocked at the amount of people in prestigious jobs have at least one piece of ink on them. At the end of the day they're there for the individual, not everyone else.

I don't see the problem in them; i love them personally but i like different modifications people would definitely frown upon. (ear pointing, tongue splitting etc...)
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

I'm a PhD student, I teach at the university level, I speak three languages, and I have never even gotten so much as a parking ticket from law enforcement. I also have a tattoo and it's awesome. I can't wait to get more.

And you're 26 years old. Your 'wisdom' is nothing more than what things are like right now. There was a time not so long ago that you crossed to the other side of the street when you saw a person with a tattoo coming.
  • JACave21
    JACave21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Booked in for a half sleeve in July :smiley:
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

And you're 26 years old. Your 'wisdom' is nothing more than what things are like right now. There was a time not so long ago that you crossed to the other side of the street when you saw a person with a tattoo coming.

And, I'm 48 years old. Got my first one 27 years ago, got my third 4 years ago and will get at least two more in the next year. Oh, and for the old guy - I'm a college graduate with a good paying job. I'd like to know how he knows all the people he mentioned do or don't have ink. Maybe they, being professionals, cover it up. If I go to a client, they don't see mine. Maybe his banker has ink all over. Maybe it doesn't actually matter.
  • jnichel
    Options
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

And, I'm 48 years old. Got my first one 27 years ago, got my third 4 years ago and will get at least two more in the next year. Oh, and for the old guy - I'm a college graduate with a good paying job. I'd like to know how he knows all the people he mentioned do or don't have ink. Maybe they, being professionals, cover it up. If I go to a client, they don't see mine. Maybe his banker has ink all over. Maybe it doesn't actually matter.

Yeah, and I'm a 47yo who got his first piece when he was 18 and in the Navy, but that's not my point. My point is, his views are based on what he grew up experiencing. Being that you're pushing 50, like me, you must also know that tattoos were not always accepted like they are now. Hell, I remember about 15 years ago that a friend of a friend was surprised that I was a college graduate and in the IT field because of my tattoos.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    As soon as I see a tattoo on someone, my opinion of them drops a few points.

My opinion of you just dropped several points as well. The feeling is mutual!
  • brb_2013
    Options
    Just my opinion.
    My boss doesn't have ink.
    My pastor doesn't have ink.
    My Sunday School teacher doesn't have ink.
    My banker doesn't have ink.
    The guy from whom I bought my pickup doesn't have ink.
    The Little League coach doesn't have ink.
    My wife doesn't have ink.
    Come to think of it, I can't think of a personal friend who has ink.
    On the other hand:

With age comes wisdom.

And lots of stubborn ideas about people. I guess you missed the Sunday School lessons about loving thy neighbor.

I raise people's children, been hired by 7 different families who trusted me with the lives and well being of their progeny and I have tattoos. And I do a darn tootin' great job at it, too.

Are you also judgemental about race? Seems like another "habit" for people of a certain age and goes right along with your lovely judgement of people without knowing a single thing about their life or who that person is inside :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

Yeah, and I'm a 47yo who got his first piece when he was 18 and in the Navy, but that's not my point. My point is, his views are based on what he grew up experiencing. Being that you're pushing 50, like me, you must also know that tattoos were not always accepted like they are now. Hell, I remember about 15 years ago that a friend of a friend was surprised that I was a college graduate and in the IT field because of my tattoos.

Sure, but you're talking about him only being 26 and as someone 22 years past that, my point is that I had my first tattoo before he was born (as did you). I got mine my senior year in college. My uncle has tattoos and he's older than the old man making the comments. His brother, my father, wasn't thrilled when I came home with my first one, but he got over it and he's turning 80 this year. I've got friends older and younger that have them. I don't think it's an age thing. I'm going to guess this guy has a lot of things he's not in favor of. Probably out front yelling at the kids to get off his lawn.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    PamelaW41 wrote: »
    Ex Presidents....
    Andrew Jackson, James Polk, And Teddy Roosevelt had ink. So did RH Macys, Thomas Edison, Winston Churchill and his mama. Czar Nicholas 2 of Russia had ink. Grace Kellys daughter Princess Stephanie of Monaco and Caroline Kennedy have ink too. JS
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

For a time people did the same when someone of another race came walking towards them. Times are a changing folks, and being a judgemental jerk gets you no where.
  • jnichel
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    PamelaW41 wrote: »
    Ex Presidents....
    Andrew Jackson, James Polk, And Teddy Roosevelt had ink. So did RH Macys, Thomas Edison, Winston Churchill and his mama. Czar Nicholas 2 of Russia had ink. Grace Kellys daughter Princess Stephanie of Monaco and Caroline Kennedy have ink too. JS
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

For a time people did the same when someone of another race came walking towards them. Times are a changing folks, and being a judgemental jerk gets you no where.

Says the person judging others.
  • marinahewerdine
    marinahewerdine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have 7 and just need more lol
  • Theresa_1973
    Theresa_1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had a new tattoo done every time I lost 1stone (14lb) they were my reward for my hard work... I had 10 tattoos done, but I still owe myself another one and I'm working on my last stone (14lb) so that'll be 12 tattoos I have earned on my weight loss journey.
  • SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

My age is irrelevant, but I'm glad my observations offended you so greatly that you felt compelled to look at my profile.

I never claimed to possess 'wisdom'. I merely asserted that DonM46's claim to wisdom is, in actuality, classism. Just like race, people can be discriminated against on the basis of their class (e.g. lower, middle, upper), which is often tied to income levels. Tattoos have been associated with the lower classes, hence common the common prejudice against them (as exemplified by our friend DonM46).
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Me too! I am waiting until I get my 1st nursing job.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing a half sleeve right now and already thinking about my next one. Ha! They are expensive and the healing process is a snatchhole when you only have access to a bathtub and no shower but....I haven't regretted it one bit. Hope you pick something and just do it!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have a couple. Only one more I have considered on my wrist...it is the Hebrew form of Timshel...

il_570xN.545610900_6b3p.jpg

• twakes80
    twakes80 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Definitely
  • jnichel
    Options
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

My age is irrelevant, but I'm glad my observations offended you so greatly that you felt compelled to look at my profile.

I never claimed to possess 'wisdom'. I merely asserted that DonM46's claim to wisdom is, in actuality, classism. Just like race, people can be discriminated against on the basis of their class (e.g. lower, middle, upper), which is often tied to income levels. Tattoos have been associated with the lower classes, hence common the common prejudice against them (as exemplified by our friend DonM46).

No, your age is very relevant to the point I was making. You two come from two different eras, he's from a time where what he believes about tattooed people wasn't a myth, whereas today, everyone and their uncle are inked. You didn't offend me though, so you can rest easy there.

And while you didn't claim to possess 'wisdom', you gave us a resume trying to impress us with how smart you think you are.

The point you're not following is that tattoos have been associated with the lower class because it wasn't so long ago that this was the case 99.9% of the time. I'm not saying that he's right, I'm just pointing out why he sees the world as such. I'm sure you have an elderly grand parent or something that has a view or two that doesn't jive with the world today?