Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    Just my opinion.
    My boss doesn't have ink.
    My pastor doesn't have ink.
    My Sunday School teacher doesn't have ink.
    My banker doesn't have ink.
    The guy from whom I bought my pickup doesn't have ink.
    The Little League coach doesn't have ink.
    My wife doesn't have ink.
    Come to think of it, I can't think of a personal friend who has ink.
    On the other hand:
    The janitor at the office has several tattoos.
    On the news, the mugshots of criminals have several.
    The homeless guy panhandling on the corner has ink; a lot.

Guess it just depends on whom one would like to emulate.
    Yeah, I'll be 70 in a few months.
    With age comes wisdom.

I am willing to bet that many of the people above are tattooed in an area that is generally covered by clothing

I have all of the wisdom that comes with being a middle-aged man who has been a soldier, attorney, and parent (and about 10-15 other less important roles), and I don't think that wisdom equates to forming biases against people for something as inconsequential as having a tattoo
  • SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

I'm a PhD student, I teach at the university level, I speak three languages, and I have never even gotten so much as a parking ticket from law enforcement. I also have a tattoo and it's awesome. I can't wait to get more.

Your 'wisdom' is nothing but thinly-veiled classism, plain and simple.

And you're 26 years old. Your 'wisdom' is nothing more than what things are like right now. There was a time not so long ago that you crossed to the other side of the street when you saw a person with a tattoo coming.

My age is irrelevant, but I'm glad my observations offended you so greatly that you felt compelled to look at my profile.

I never claimed to possess 'wisdom'. I merely asserted that DonM46's claim to wisdom is, in actuality, classism. Just like race, people can be discriminated against on the basis of their class (e.g. lower, middle, upper), which is often tied to income levels. Tattoos have been associated with the lower classes, hence common the common prejudice against them (as exemplified by our friend DonM46).

No, your age is very relevant to the point I was making. You two come from two different eras, he's from a time where what he believes about tattooed people wasn't a myth, whereas today, everyone and their uncle are inked. You didn't offend me though, so you can rest easy there.

And while you didn't claim to possess 'wisdom', you gave us a resume trying to impress us with how smart you think you are.

The point you're not following is that tattoos have been associated with the lower class because it wasn't so long ago that this was the case 99.9% of the time. I'm not saying that he's right, I'm just pointing out why he sees the world as such. I'm sure you have an elderly grand parent or something that has a view or two that doesn't jive with the world today?

I'm not sure why you're making me the bad guy here, but I'll bite.

Yes, I am smart. I've worked really hard to educate myself, and I'm proud of that. However, my so-called 'resume' was not intended to demonstrate superior intelligence, but to emphasize to @DonM46 that highly educated people have tattoos. I wanted to make a point that @DonM46's association of tattoos with criminals, laborers, and the lower class in general is overtly classist. Just because he is older does not excuse his classism. That's like saying it's okay for grandpa to be racist because he grew up in the 1960's. Before you get righteous on me, classism is absolutely on the same level as racism, and the two are arguably interchangeable in most cases.

Yes, tattoos have been historically associated with lower classes, but that is not the issue here. The issue is that @DonM46 sees them as negative BECAUSE of that association. Hence, @DonM46 clearly has a low opinion of the lower class, which is what I'm calling him out on. Is @DonM46's classism a product of the era he was raised in? Probably, but that doesn't make it okay. Just like growing up in an era when racism was acceptable does not excuse racism, so too is blaming classism on an individual's upbringing.

/end of thread derailment
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion.

With age comes wisdom.

I'm a PhD student, I teach at the university level, I speak three languages, and I have never even gotten so much as a parking ticket from law enforcement. I also have a tattoo and it's awesome. I can't wait to get more.

Your 'wisdom' is nothing but thinly-veiled classism, plain and simple.

And you're 26 years old. Your 'wisdom' is nothing more than what things are like right now. There was a time not so long ago that you crossed to the other side of the street when you saw a person with a tattoo coming.

My age is irrelevant, but I'm glad my observations offended you so greatly that you felt compelled to look at my profile.

I never claimed to possess 'wisdom'. I merely asserted that DonM46's claim to wisdom is, in actuality, classism. Just like race, people can be discriminated against on the basis of their class (e.g. lower, middle, upper), which is often tied to income levels. Tattoos have been associated with the lower classes, hence common the common prejudice against them (as exemplified by our friend DonM46).

No, your age is very relevant to the point I was making. You two come from two different eras, he's from a time where what he believes about tattooed people wasn't a myth, whereas today, everyone and their uncle are inked. You didn't offend me though, so you can rest easy there.

And while you didn't claim to possess 'wisdom', you gave us a resume trying to impress us with how smart you think you are.

The point you're not following is that tattoos have been associated with the lower class because it wasn't so long ago that this was the case 99.9% of the time. I'm not saying that he's right, I'm just pointing out why he sees the world as such. I'm sure you have an elderly grand parent or something that has a view or two that doesn't jive with the world today?

I'm not sure why you're making me the bad guy here, but I'll bite.

Yes, I am smart. I've worked really hard to educate myself, and I'm proud of that. However, my so-called 'resume' was not intended to demonstrate superior intelligence, but to emphasize to @DonM46 that highly educated people have tattoos. I wanted to make a point that @DonM46's association of tattoos with criminals, laborers, and the lower class in general is overtly classist. Just because he is older does not excuse his classism. That's like saying it's okay for grandpa to be racist because he grew up in the 1960's. Before you get righteous on me, classism is absolutely on the same level as racism, and the two are arguably interchangeable in most cases.

Yes, tattoos have been historically associated with lower classes, but that is not the issue here. The issue is that @DonM46 sees them as negative BECAUSE of that association. Hence, @DonM46 clearly has a low opinion of the lower class, which is what I'm calling him out on. Is @DonM46's classism a product of the era he was raised in? Probably, but that doesn't make it okay. Just like growing up in an era when racism was acceptable does not excuse racism, so too is blaming classism on an individual's upbringing.

/end of thread derailment

Bless your heart.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @SpiderGwens I agree with you 100%. I'm not sure why @jnichel is playing the devil's advocate here. Seems unnecessary... but what do I know? :|
  • MRSLJ1975
    MRSLJ1975 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Love them and slightly addicted now
  • La_Malfaisante_
    La_Malfaisante_ Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I can never get enough tattoos