• celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Glad you found what works for you.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Zumba just involves waving your hands around for the large part. Hardly a calorie vacuum....

have you ever actually taken a zumba class???

I burn 450 calories an hour doing Zumba. I might as well not exercise..amiright?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Another non-runner who lost weight without running. Running is hard on the joints. I don't know how many runner friends I have who have had multiple injuries and/or surgeries. Your point is not convincing. Maintain a calorie deficit. Find exercise you personally like to do (I chose weight lifting with minimal cardio). You will lose.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    @sammyre12 I know to some it sounds crazy, but I have to agree with you. I am seeing much better results since I started running. I do wear a HR monitor as well so I did notice something. As opposed to indoor cycling a another workout, I see longer amounts of higher sustained heart-rates. The only other exercise I find close is kickboxing. Now, possibly it could be that I have pushed my body to do something new and it's working harder because it hasn't adapted? But at the end of the day if it works then go for it!
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Running is the "only thing that works for me" because it's the only thing I enjoy at all. It has really nothing to do with being 'better' than anything else, it's just the one thing that I can enjoy new NSVs on that matter to me.

I mean, trust I will never dog you for running because I too, adore it, but really anything you push yourself is gonna be similar.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Give me dance class or a backpack and a long trail any day.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's all about a calorie deficit. Other than that, do whatever workout makes you happy.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    1. Try eating healthy low glycemic index carbohydrates like delicious blue berries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries. Mix them up in a spinach salad or eat them as a snack. If salad avoid oil based dressings. You can sprinkle a few good nuts like raw almonds for a treat. Stay away from high glycemic index carbohydrates. Eat good proteins eggs (whites only), white fish (baked or broiled) with a little bit olive oil (cod, halibut ) stay away from trashy Talpia. Roast an organic turkey breast roast another lean good source of protein. stay away from red meats and "the other white meat" as the National Pork Board calls it.
    2. Exercise with consistency everyday for one hour.
    3. Limit alcohol - but don't eliminate if you have a problem with going without, only in moderation and as a reward when you have a good week or a particularly good work out ( like a 60 mile bike ride = one or at most two drinks).

Stick with this for 5 to six weeks and you will see the results (i.e. your weight and fitness level improve decisively). I have done this before and lost 30 lbs in six weeks. But you must stick with the exercise and diet.

Stay away from processed foods and high glycemic foods/ additives especially colored sugar/corn syrup beverages and the diet POPS. Try refreshing Seltzer water (soda water) and avoid at all these "Sports" drinks like Gatorade and there ilk they will really mess up your diet and your over all health. Drink water with fruits (types presented above) this will give you energy with a slow even burn not a insulin spiking response and crash that G-ades give you.

I am starting this diet again as of today, May Day. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

If you are interested to know how the diet progresses for me during this month of may let me know.

So you have done this diet before but here you are again doing it.

Yes, I am back on it again, The Wisconsin winter took its toll and I am a little heavier than I would like to be to ride my bike up hills. This diet works along with exercise. A nutritionist friend of mine designed a study around this diet and was part of his masters thesis.

So this master thesis diet only works when the weather is good?
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    sammyre12 wrote: »
    I have tried all types of exercises from Zumba, Pilates, p90x, insanity, biking etc. You name it and the quickest and almost only way I lose weight and drop inches is by running. I put just as much effort in all the exercises. Is this normal?

Keep doing what works for you. Running is great because you do get a lot of bang for your buck, you have control over intensity, duration, breaks, etc. Nothing extra needed, either. Ignore the naysayers. It's your body.