short and thick hair

2»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    After wearing my hair straight for years, I finally learned to accept my curls as is. Now that I know how to properly take care of my hair, it has never looked better. :heart:
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    My advice: persevere with growing it! Mine is thick and I have loads of it and when it was short it was exactly like yours and now all I have to do is let it dry naturally and then straighten the roots to de-frizz and it does this:

w86r9w.jpg

Which while not perfect is totally manageable and acceptable for meals/nights out etc.

Maybe if you grow it a bit longer it might reduce the effort too?

Kat xxx
    Hot!! haha that's what I'm trying to do, but it's so frustrating during that awkward length lol

I totally remember it! Best advice I can give it wash it, brush it and then plait it in pigtails, un-do it in the morning and it will have dried into kinks, the add proper curls with tongs around the edges and on the ends and then straighten the roots for de-frizz (me and my hair have serious frizzues) - it's the easiest way to sleek curly hair IMO!

Edit: Also - your hair is gorgeous as it is!! Looks fab :) xxx
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    There's a pic of mine (the back of it, brushed out) in my profile. Any hair advice?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    There's a pic of mine (the back of it, brushed out) in my profile. Any hair advice?

Ohh, it's a lot like mine! (mine is somewhat shorter)

The best look for me comes from washing it before bed (brush well prior to), putting a leave-in conditioner in

This:

and putting it in a high messy bun.

In the morning, take your hair down. Use a pick (don't brush it out) for any knots and a dab of mousse for any frizzes near the crown. You may also want to use a small amount of mouse designed for curly hair and scrunch it some to help keep the humidity out.
  • DancingMoosie

The best look for me comes from washing it before bed (brush well prior to), putting a leave-in conditioner in

This:

In the morning, take your hair down. Use a pick (don't brush it out) for any knots and a dab of mousse for any frizzes near the crown. You may also want to use a small amount of mouse designed for curly hair and scrunch it some to help keep the humidity out.

Would this work to wash in the morning and bun/plop dry it in a microfiber towel before mousse? It would still be damp, but not dripping. I wash in the morning after working out, before work.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member

This:

Would this work to wash in the morning and bun/plop dry it in a microfiber towel before mousse? It would still be damp, but not dripping. I wash in the morning after working out, before work.

Probably but don't blow-dry it unless you're going to straighten it. It always frizzes mine out and leaves it looking horrible.
  • DancingMoosie
    No blow-fryers or straighteners for me, thanks;)
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I straighten my hair. I have to or else it will be wavy and frizzy and everywhere!!!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    I've actually intimidated hairstylist in the past with my crazy mop, lol.

I've always hated my hair growing up.
    Now I embrace my curly thick dry unruly hair. It's high maintenance for sure but I've learned to love it. I usually wear it long but just recently cut over 6-8 inches off. It's now just at shoulder length.

My biggest blessing... finding the right stylist who's trained with my hair type to cut it in ways where she can de-bulk it and still avoid causing frizz. Most other hairdressers would try thinning it, causing me big time frizz!

I never wear my hair straight, always wavy/curly. My profile shows me with both short and long hair.
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Too late to join this? I have thick hair as well and it was decently long but then I cut it before summer. HUGE mistake. I got six inches off so it's a little below my shoulders. I don't know if it's because it's humid or the fact the lady cut it different, but whenever I straighten it I feel like it just gets really puffy and ugly. When it's natural it's even fluffier with curls only on the bottom layer. It takes an hour and a half to curl. Either way it sucks. So for now I just wear it in a messy bun. All the time. I want my long hair back :(
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    My advice: persevere with growing it! Mine is thick and I have loads of it and when it was short it was exactly like yours and now all I have to do is let it dry naturally and then straighten the roots to de-frizz and it does this:

w86r9w.jpg

Which while not perfect is totally manageable and acceptable for meals/nights out etc.

Maybe if you grow it a bit longer it might reduce the effort too?

Kat xxx

I love your hair..... your hair is HOT.... it will take me like 10 years to get it that long
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    . So for now I just wear it in a messy bun. All the time. I want my long hair back :(

we should be besties!!!! Im the same way.... I got tons of pretty flowers... messy bun with a pretty flower its always a good solution LOL
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Omg sorry but this is a pretty lame thread since there are woo many solutions nowadays! I have thick wavy hair. Over my 28 years of experience I've learned:
    a) I can't rock short hair, no matter what! I'll end up with an Afro.
    B) during akward length, which lasts forever, best to wear hair up.
    C) you can ask your hair stylist to thin your hair out.
    D) Brazilian blowout
    E) there's a plethora of hair products out there to smooth hair down.
    F) blow dry hair prior to sleeping. Sleep on your hair in a ponytail throughout the night. Flat iron when you awake.
  • DancingMoosie
    Omg sorry but this is a pretty lame thread since there are woo many solutions nowadays! I have thick wavy hair. Over my 28 years of experience I've learned:
    a) I can't rock short hair, no matter what! I'll end up with an Afro.
    B) during akward length, which lasts forever, best to wear hair up.
    C) you can ask your hair stylist to thin your hair out.
    D) Brazilian blowout
    E) there's a plethora of hair products out there to smooth hair down.
    F) blow dry hair prior to sleeping. Sleep on your hair in a ponytail throughout the night. Flat iron when you awake.
    This is only if you want sleek/ straight hair. I'd rather not blow dry or use heat. I'd like to work with the high humidity and rock my waves:)